Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187915 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1860 on: August 11, 2021, 03:36:10 am »

It's like the quote "the chance of you being killed by a cow is small, but it is never zero"

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 13, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »

There has been a mass shooting in Plymouth, England performed with a licensed fire arm. Five dead including a three year old girl and the shooter.

Shooter was a 22 year old man, who seems to have been an incel suffering from depression.

It's the most severe fire arms incident in the UK since 2010.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:21:27 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 13, 2021, 02:36:15 pm »

Accidently quoted myself when trying to edit my post earlier.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:22:03 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:27 pm »

This is pretty messed up.

Incel ideology is just terrible. I remember there was an incel shooting in the US years ago as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incel#Mass_murders_and_violence
Max avatar size is 80x80

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 13, 2021, 03:51:51 pm »

There's plenty of information to process about it (not stopping the public speculation and general "politician having to say something" business, however ill-informed everyone remains).

I await the arguments and counter-arguments about gun-control (Britain having been very much gun-controlled in incremental stages because of Hungerford and Dunblane) with various degrees of dread and inevitability and (I suppose, and without at all abating my sadness of the event) a peculiar kind of dark smugness that this sort of incident is/will remain all over the headlines because of its outstanding rarity.

It's a minefield of a subject, at this stage, and mixing up various self-delusions of the self-proclaimed Incel community is hardly a bonus. Might be worth not jumping straight into any definite statements. (Says I, probably having made some definite statements that others would already constest.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1865 on: August 13, 2021, 05:46:32 pm »

Plymouth? Nothing ever happens in Plymouth. Wonder what the investigators'll find out from this one

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: August 13, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »

Plymouth? Nothing ever happens in Plymouth. Wonder what the investigators'll find out from this one

Last I checked they've found that the shooter was depressed, a virgin, seemed to buy into an Incel mentality, liked Trump and US gun culture based on his social media.

Gun has been confirmed as a shotgun.

First victim was the shooter's mother, the other's are being described as passersby. Shooter had his gun license revoked in December and then reinstated last month following a mandatory anger management course.

Actual motive for the shooting is not yet known.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: August 13, 2021, 06:57:11 pm »

Madmen don't need motives.

To shoot a 3 year old toddler one needs to be really far gone into coockoo land.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: August 13, 2021, 11:20:54 pm »

To shoot a 3 year old toddler one needs to be really far gone into coockoo land.
Madness has a source.  It is made in a toxic soup of emotions and thoughts.  Figuring out the ingredients... and how to prevent the concoction from being brewed with said ingredients is how you prevent further madness from propagating. 

Mental health is an issue we often times ignore, because suck it up, you shouldn't show weakness and everything will work out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1869 on: August 14, 2021, 04:49:21 am »

Maybe they don't need motives, but a lot of times they'll have triggers. I guess this one will have to be one for the criminal psychologists though

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: August 14, 2021, 11:53:11 am »

First victim was the shooter's mother [snip]

Not a practicing criminal psychologist but this bit seems a tad relevant...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 17, 2021, 03:44:41 am »

Apple and Google have deleted jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny’s apps from their online stores after Russian authorities threatened jail time for their employees, Navalny’s aides said Friday.

The move comes as voting gets underway in parliamentary elections overshadowed by an unprecedented crackdown on the opposition.

The Navalny app contained recommendations for its supporters to cast their ballots in favor of challengers to incumbents from the pro-Putin ruling United Russia party during the Sept. 17-19 poll.

Apple has also disabled its Private Relay feature, which hides a user’s IP address, within Russia, internet monitors said.

The tech giants succumbed to state pressure one month after Russia’s communications watchdog Roskomnadzor issued a takedown order, citing a Moscow court ruling that declared the opposition leader’s network “extremist.”
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1872 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:07 am »

Apple: we support everyone, every race, every sex, gender and creed
but not if you oppose putin lol

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 20, 2021, 11:21:02 am »

Apple: we support everyone, every race, every sex, gender and creed
but not if you oppose putin lol

Or if you're LBGTQ+ too sexual. Or one of those darker skinned races. Or...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:08 pm »

For reasons I have yet to fathom, GB stickers are now not valid (on their own) on British vehicles driving abroad. Already I knew that the EU flag (if shown on the numberplate) needed to be augmented by (what was) the GB sticker[1], but now it is suddenly (apparently at the request of Westminster?) changed to the letters UK (with or without Union Flag).

And this happend yesterday, and everyone seems surprised by it so it's hard to know why - or even if anybody at the top actually intended it for... reasons..? Perhaps it was an accidental request for change, when it was meant to be a confirmation that both are valid?  ISO 3166-2 still says GB is correct, I think, and UK still only 'reserved' (though it is the other way round in geographic TLDs!).

Though it's entirely possible it's to not exclude NI (not on/trivially-offshore-of GB the island), and/or to allow the exclusion of Scotland (in the event the UK stops being quite as U).

I must find out more, I've only just heard about it and nobody yet sems to know/specify the root causation. But it might cause problems (that will be blamed on various parties, naturally, as if there aren't already enough problems[2]).

[1] When still in the EU, there were a wide range of options for EU driving, including Alba/Cymru variations within certain limits, and a lot of 'EU-style' plates (even if not EU-badged) might satisfy internal rules even if not Vienna Convention-compliant (with regionally-appropriate  Saltires/Crosses/Dragons/Roses/etc, for one degree or other of regionalised pride). Ecosse/Alba are quite common, for those who wish them over Sco(tland); Cym(ru) probably far far more dominant over the also allowable Wal(es), and... Well... Eng(land) is as it is.

[2] If you get a special visa to drive a lorry in the UB/GK, folks, remember that it's valid only until Christmas Eve. Which seems a bit Grinchy to me. "We desperately need you, apparently... but the moment the clock strikes midnight you need to have left. Merry Christmas, Johnny Foreigner!"
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 162