Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Advisers to an Incompetent King RTD  (Read 29031 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advisers to an Incompetent King RTD
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »

King Roland the Good is the new king of Justdale. You unfortunate lot are his advisors and courtiers. Try to keep him from wasting the treasury on giving flowers to orphans, or from dying to the first peasant that offers to buy him a drink in a seedy pub.

Watch out: the Armies of Darkness are prophecised to be amassing around now, and the kingdom is still recovering from a major economic downturn brought about by the previous ruler, elvish refugees, and a shipment of exotic fruit.

8 sign-ups. I'll need names and jobs. Interesting character details are good to include. The setting is some manner of vaguely medieval-ish fantasy. You're allowed up to 'pretty competent' tier, but below 'master' tier.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:04:40 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
Re: Advisors to an Incompetent King RTD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

John Locke

Job: Philosopher  but also liberal agitator

Biograph: The Man wrote many book about the Right of man and The commonwealth and he seen by peer and that so close decounce even the idea of a Monachy.

He Claim that Leader need to respect the Right of Man and The Free Choice of Man

His Usefulness that Give King to idea to solve in more Liberal way

(OCC: Hmm I wonder this character is based on? )
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:52:46 pm by Nosaneinme »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:51:00 pm »

Sir "Biscuits" McGee, knight of the crown and head of military finance.

A famed fighter from the North, little is known about the background of this mysterious man, save for the deadly and horrifiying circumstances in which he earned his name. Apart from the fact that his third cousin once removed's maiden name was Delilah, that his mother collected embroidered tablecloths and that his turnip-farming uncle had an unnatural fascination with spoons. And of course the exact dimensions of the dwarven ostrich ranch he grew up in.

Rumours have it that McGee learned some dark financial magic in Goblin pits during his travels, but nobody could ever prove that it was Goblin Lord Ponzi's little finger in his rucksack rather than anyone else's, and it wasn't magical herbs anyway, they were exotic goblin tealeaves, so they can bloody well shut up, malicious slander never did much to a true knight of the King, anyway.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 03:13:22 pm »

Name: Sir Mangrove

Job: Secretary of Love, Worldliness and Quests

Details: Sir Mangrove is a famed knight from the south, known for his surprisingly successful quest for the Chalice of Infinite Screams in the Six Hundred and Sixteen Realms of Festering Madness, an experience that he rather enjoys talking about (well, insofar as it can be described with a single mouth) and that one suspects may have been a direct cause of the previous royal wizard's demise, given that shortly after Sir Mangrove's return he disappeared into the castle dungeon, never to be seen again, but definitely heard to this very day (increasingly distantly, though, so who knows how long he'll be down there).

His vast experience with the further regions of experience as well as with the actual distinction between demons and angels in a place where logic has taken a permanent vacation has made him an ideal fit for King Roland's newly invented position of Secretary of Love, Worldliness and Quests, generally expected to advise the king on matters of courtship, impossibly distant foreign affairs and outsourcing of heroic tasks, a position that he tries to fulfill in as affable and friendly fashion as possible.

Nunzillor

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:28:20 pm »

Name: Sage Holtze Pzchun
Job: Import/Export Economic Advisor

Holtze, an immigrant from the poorly understood neighboring state of Szechen, made his fortune selling bitter exotic "painfruit," as it is called in his homeland, at exorbitant prices to the trusting people of Justdale.  Good King Roland himself famously declared that "Great Sage Pzchun's claims are true.  The 'mannafruit' does grant immortality and divine wisdom." In actuality the fruit is mildly poisonous to humans and causes intestinal distress and headaches, but the king and kind people of Justdale don't need to burden themselves with such unimportant details, Holtze feels.

Holtze was recently granted his position by a thankful King ("yes, the pain means it's working.  And it's all thanks to the visionary Sage Pzchun," the regent said at the time.).  He has used his newfound power to urge for ever more painfruit imports through his own trading company and suppress any attempts to spread misinformation about the "only food you'll ever need to eat."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:04:39 pm by Nunzillor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

Name: Asha Imeremifava
Job: Priestess, Religious Advisor

Asha comes from one of the few rich families in the elven nation, most of their power coming from their close ties with the hierarchy of the largest elven religion. Several children from each generation were expected to enter the priesthood on entering adulthood, and Asha did this eagerly. She was good at performing her duties but better at playing politics. Seeing the most room for expansion in this human kingdom, she moved here a couple years ago and waited for an opportunity. When the old king died, she saw one and secured a position as an advisor for his successor.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advisers to an Incompetent King RTD
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:32 pm »

It is now spring, and birdsong fills the air!

The local economy is struggling.
The kingdom economy is not yet recovering.

The local levies are few and have much to fear from a stray dog.
The kingdom levies are limited and of poor quality.

The king is considering planting a new palace orchard, and keeps changing his mind about what to include.
The king thinks there might be some problems troubling the kingdom. He has assigned you to discover them, and then write up some really good reports.

John Locke, the palace fool, is currently stationed in the palace.

Sir "Biscuits" McGee, knight of the crown and head of military finance, is currently stationed in the palace.

Sir Mangrove, the Secretary of Love, Worldliness and Quests, is currently stationed in the palace.

Sage Holtze Pzchun, Import/Export Economic Adviser, is currently stationed in the palace.

Asha Imeremifava, Priestess and Religious Adviser, is currently stationed in the palace.

Three other interesting people, undefined courtiers, are currently stationed in the palace.

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:11:35 pm »

I object to name fool, Do people call Voltaire fool.

Do please the ask the King of Prussia in that time

Talk to king about Justdaleian people's Liberties.

"It said here in the Magna Carta or other know as the Great Charter of the Jusdaleian Liberties, It that that parliament need it MPs"

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:56 pm »

Name: Classified
Job: Assassin
Bio: Classified was raised from birth to be an utterly loyal instrument of the king. His faith in the king's wisdom is unwavering,  and will do whatever the king wishes. He wears a black bodysuit at all times so that I don't have to come up with his appearance he can be stealthier.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:17:40 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Nunzillor

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 08:31:35 pm »

"It said here in the Magna Carta or other know as the Great Charter of the Jusdaleian Liberties, It that that parliament need it MPs"
Holtze, discussing with the king the state of the economy as he was, overheard John's wonderful joke.  "Hah, liberties!  Now that is funny, my dear Mr. Locke!  Here, have a mannafruit to sharpen the intellect.  I can only pray that it inspires even more delightful jest," the Sage said, proffering a painfruit.

First order of business is to increase the import of "mannafruit" to keep the population happy and confused.  There's little that a good bit of painfruit can't solve, after all.  Plus, and most importantly, it's great for the personal coffers.

Next, the people must be uplifted from poverty.  That will give them the opportunity to purchase more wonderful mannafruit, which as always is priority one.  Use what's left of the royal treasury to provide support for farmers to help increase their yields, be that in the form of loans to the farmers or the hiring of agricultural experts to assist them.  Most of that food will be exported, of course, to make room for painfruit imports and replenish the treasury.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:45:00 pm by Nunzillor »

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:37:10 pm »

"Hah, liberties!  Now that is funny, my dear Mr. Locke!  Here, have a mannafruit to sharpen the intellect.  I can only pray that it inspires even more delightful jest,"

"Do think the Magna Carta would written as joke toward or something, I don't get on the about Right of Men now Should I "

(YELLOW THE COLOR OF  AWESOME LIBERIALISM)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:42:03 pm »

((Can I join?))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:44 pm »

((Can I join?))
((Yes, post a character sheet.))

((If he went up to a king asking for a job as a liberal agitator they would!
Also, fool can mean the same as jester. I like the mental image of a king putting a funny hat on Locke and asking him to be entertaining.))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 08:53:56 pm »

"In times like these we need religion more than ever." I try to find out as much broad information about religion in this country as possible. Different religions, conflicts, anything that might trouble the government. If I don't have access to a significant amount of information, I figure out who I can send to find out for me.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 08:56:51 pm »

Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24