Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This is the first time this has happened to me  (Read 13724 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
This is the first time this has happened to me
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:33:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is the first time this has happened to me
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:04:43 am »

Well, it can happen. It happened a lot around a year ago when lots of immigrants were very old. I wondered what happened, since that was the first time anything died of old age, and suddenly one dwarf and two animals were suddenly found dead, and I obviously looked for something skulking around inside my fortress killing things. Turned out it was the Reaper. That was my introduction to the yearly culling...

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »

Most of Violentlash's deaths have been of old age - nothing unusual considering it ran for 72 years.
I never got the message "died of old age" though, I think. Weird...I was wondering about that.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 01:28:21 pm »

I've never had a dwarf get seen dying of old age - they just get found dead, even if they were in the middle in the dining hall when spring hit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

Snipping Tool!  It's your Friend!

But yeah, it says a lot about DF that most dwarves don't die of old age.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 07:37:26 pm »

Nikoleta is obviously a human name, and human lives much shorter than dwarf does.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »

Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:48:18 pm »

§k, was that a joke or a serious attempt at answering?  Because it was a nickname, not a modded game.

Yeah, I'm guessing a joke.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »

I've never had a dwarf get seen dying of old age - they just get found dead, even if they were in the middle in the dining hall when spring hit.

Most of Violentlash's deaths have been of old age - nothing unusual considering it ran for 72 years.
I never got the message "died of old age" though, I think. Weird...I was wondering about that.

As far as I know, the game always gives an announcement when a dwarf dies of old age. I've seen it before on the forums, just never in my own forts.

I should also add that this is in v34, where it took 10+ game years to get legendary military dwarves. She was one of the only 3 legendaries I have, so her death leaves my fortress significantly weaker.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:01:02 pm by Chief10 »

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:24 pm »

§k, was that a joke or a serious attempt at answering?  Because it was a nickname, not a modded game.

Yeah, I'm guessing a joke.

Ah, sorry! I just thought it's a modded human civilization.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

Update: It happened again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this time one of them was alone in her room, so (I think) you get the announcement regardless of someone seeing it happen.

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:50 pm »

I removed [MAXAGE] from my dwarves so it wouldn't ever happen to me :D

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 06:57:32 pm »

I removed [MAXAGE] from my dwarves so it wouldn't ever happen to me :D

Oh nice, do you know what file this tag is in? And also if it can be done post-worldgen?

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:32 pm »

I do not think it will work post world gen.

df folder/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »

As far as I know, the game always gives an announcement when a dwarf dies of old age. I've seen it before on the forums, just never in my own forts.

I should also add that this is in v34, where it took 10+ game years to get legendary military dwarves. She was one of the only 3 legendaries I have, so her death leaves my fortress significantly weaker.
Weird. Then it must be changed/bugged in 40.23 / .24, because I know it never gave me that message in Violentlash. Looking at the last picture you also got the message for pets/tamed animals (?), I'm absolutly sure I never got this message for tamed animals - been too long since there were any pets around for me to remember though. They'd also only be announced as dead after some time: most of the time my dwarves carried the corpses of the recently deceased Jabberers to my refuse stockpile, which linked to a minecart which dumped them down a garbage dump to magma level, and the death message would only pop up if I opened up the door to the garbage dump and let a dwarf see the corpses.
The Jabberers (and other tamed animals) must be in a "Schrödinger's cat" kind of state; neither dead nor alive. Because if they'd been alive, they'd not have been carried to the refuse stockpile, but if they'd died, they'd have been announced as dead when found!

It's in save/[your_fortress_region]/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt -> [CREATURE:DWARF] -> line 198 (at least on my end).
Don't really see the point in it though, to actually have dwarves die of old age in bigger numbers you have to play for a VERY long time. Of Violentlash's original 7 only one has died after 72 years after embarking...but to each their own.

And it should work post world gen. Turning the goblin need for food (and water) off again worked as well after world gen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:06:38 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.
Pages: [1] 2