Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!  (Read 22314 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2019, 06:00:05 pm »

I don't really like the completely separate progression system for weaves. Having to play them to recraft the shit you already like using feels a bit like busy work.

Also I didn't expect it to be this hard to find weave games. Not exactly as hopping as I expected.

So while I guess I do like the enticement of a new progression system, this feels like it kind of invalidates the older game if you plan to stick with it. I can easily see people who enjoyed what they were doing before, and what they've earned with all their hours played, being annoyed by this. Yeah, it ultimately allows for more straightforward customization and an overall increase in badassery, but it doesn't mix with the previous system, or level play. As I look over all the things VT2 now offers: campaign missions, weekly missions, twitch missions, heroic deeds, weave mode, versus....did it really need something else to split up the player base?

Don't get me wrong it's all cool. When my friends pick it up I'm sure it will be Fine(TM). Just seems fairly disconnected from the overall game I played last time.

Edit

Seasonal resets on weave progression. Probably should have read the FAQ. Well I suppose if you're not in to seasonal gaming, there's still plenty of reason to play the base game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:30:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2019, 10:53:46 pm »

I gotta say, I enjoy that runs are only 15 minutes today, and more like 10 most of the time. You can get quite a few runs in a short amount of time and felt like you've gotten something done. It's a little weird how you only get big chunks of essence for doing new weaves, and like only 10% of that if you replay a weave. It leaves a lot of people playing multiple rounds getting next to no essence. I get it's supposed to be competitive so you want to encourage people to play it to as hard as they can handle, rather than farming. But it still seems like an odd, clunky system when queueing. Took me a while to realize I was seeing different games, and saying no/yes to them, rather than being asked to start my own. It very much seems wired for people that consistently play together so they are all on the same current weave.

Overall I kinda like the stripped down experience. Makes you appreciate the little things. I would like if they did more with each Wind's effects. There's just a gimmick, which mixes things up nicely, but they should stack more on.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »

So once you're doing Weaves, you start getting Essence out of regular campaign missions. Even a failed campaign mission, a quick brutal fail, nets more essence than a successful Gold replay. A win on a campaign map on Champion is as much Essence as doing Jade 5 for the first time. So it's nice to be able to progress in Weave even if you're not playing it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2019, 12:38:12 pm »

Even if the weaves is supposed to be competitive, it'll leave a lot of people who won't want to bother helping others clear weaves they've already done.
Not really great for Quickplay people like me.  But with the fact that it is all resetting anyways, not gonna bother.

As for the base game, some of the changes do make it harder.  The WHC shout doesn't stagger most things in legend till you hit 35.  Which was really embarssing when You are expecting breathing space to snipe things, but get smashed instead.

The enemy AI is more effective at surrounding players and switching to closer targets.  I have been punished severely many times for sniping specials, when I'd have normally got away with it.  Plus running attacks are my bane.
Typically, more spawn points are utilized in non-ambush hordes, which makes it harder to gain room for sniping specials.
Some things were also made harder, like fort brackenburg now spawns elites and specials during the finale.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2019, 01:15:10 pm »

I am pretty sure they changed the Special spawning rules, because I saw three ratling guns yesterday.

Doesn't affect me too much because for me the AI would always spawn a third special of a specific type after one of the active two died, but it might be a bit rough for people who get good AI Director luck.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »

I am pretty sure they changed the Special spawning rules, because I saw three ratling guns yesterday.

Doesn't affect me too much because for me the AI would always spawn a third special of a specific type after one of the active two died, but it might be a bit rough for people who get good AI Director luck.

I dunno, I've seen whacky shit like that happen in Legendary long before the patch. Maybe they made it more common and on lower difficulties. When I was playing weaves the other night, I think in Gold, I had no less than 6 Ratling Gunners back to back to back to back to back to back.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2019, 02:37:14 pm »

I dunno, I've seen whacky shit like that happen in Legendary long before the patch. Maybe they made it more common and on lower difficulties. When I was playing weaves the other night, I think in Gold, I had no less than 6 Ratling Gunners back to back to back to back to back to back.
Weaves are hand-made and static, so those 6 gunners were placed there by a dev.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2019, 02:44:11 pm »

Now that's what I call a Ratatatatatat.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »

Regardless, multiples of the same special spawning all at once has been a thing for a while.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2019, 11:20:11 am »

Alright, so I saw a trash chaos soldier who was running up behind a teammate heading off in a different direction. 
Then he swings, but jukes hard right to hit another player who was now closer then the chased player.  Hit player was standing still and looking the other way.

Seriously, they really changed how fast enemies acquire new targets.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2019, 11:28:28 am »

Alright, so I saw a trash chaos soldier who was running up behind a teammate heading off in a different direction. 
Then he swings, but jukes hard right to hit another player who was now closer then the chased player.  Hit player was standing still and looking the other way.

Seriously, they really changed how fast enemies acquire new targets.

[Tzeentch voice]All according to plan...[/Tzeentch voice]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2019, 11:44:37 am »

Yeah, guys will now hardcore swerve even in the middle of an attack if there's a better target.

Reminds of the old days when swing tracking on enemies was so crazy that'd spin 180 to hit you. We seem to have come back to that same place, only now it's for targets other than their primary target.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:02:50 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2019, 03:41:08 pm »

So far in the first three weaves, the only thing that truly surprised me was on Weave 12, Azyr, where...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2019, 06:37:00 am »

The Update def. isn't the absolute Armageddon a lot of the Community makes it out to be, but it's also just not very great either.

Just to get it out of the way, the new weapons are really cool (Billhook might be my new favorite Saltz weapon), the new Map is also pretty good, even if I feel like some of the Ambush Spawns are a little unfair.

But then the new stagger meta, it just feels clunky. I get that there was a disdain for the dodgespam, but now it feels like any weapon that does not stagger is too weak. It's comical how much worse the dual axes are than the dual hammers for example. I don't enjoy being forced to use a certain type of weapon to not feel like I'm fighting with cardboard. The idea is probably to encourage more teamwork, and employ a sort of 1 guy staggers, 1 guy kills tactic. But expecting that in Quick Play is straight not happening. And even then, there is still little to no reason to not just take 4 stagger-heavy weapons and then go nuts. A lot of what used to be my favorite weapons are straight up bad now.

The AI changes are a mixed bag. I like that they are smarter about trying to encircle you and that they have tracking. The problem is that, especially for the latter, it's a little too much. I've seen enemies do straight 180 degree turns to acquire new targets, and they seem to have inflated range compared to before. It pushes the game more towards the VT1 tactic of picking a corner and then just mashing M1 until the Horde is over, especially considering how strong stagger stacking is now.

In general, QP has people dying left and right at the moment. Some of it will be due to bugs (Blocking not working has returned, and apparently there are plenty of other glitches) and some others will be due to most people not having reached Level 35 (Apparently those 50 points of Power make a huge difference), but I'm pretty sure a big part is also the new stagger meta having a bad landing. Considering how negative the general tone is, I'm almost convinced we're gonna see some changes before long.

Talents are in the same boat as before. Some are just straight 100% objectively better than others, there is a weird obsession with giving random classes movement speed (Which does what, let you run away from allies to die alone faster?) and they seem to have removed some of the "infinite ammo" builds that were present before. Just in general, does not really seem like there was much thought put into this at all.

Weaves are just kinda there. Buddy and me couldn't find a group in over 4 hours of playtime, and I've seen lots of people say they can't find a group. I don't see the appeal either way, I was already mad I had to reach Level 35 to get my ult-talent back, so resetting my progress to zero and running around some recycled assets didn't exactly excite me either. The fact that they don't affect the "regular" game at all is just sort of odd.

In short, I was highly excited for the Expansion. That deflated pretty fast. It's... okay? Bad in a lot of ways good in other ways. I def. think simply leaving the combat rework out would've been a better idea. Especially because they didn't listen to Beta feedback, at all. As is usually the case with Fatshark.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2019, 10:32:17 am »

I distinctly remember losing a good chunk of life.  As in, legendary lone slaverat stabbing you in the ass damage.  It is not small. 
It was kinda funny, we were not prepared at all and low on ammo.  Poor huntsman kept getting surprised from behind. (Too lazy to quote properly on mobile phone.)
So far in the first three weaves, the only thing that truly surprised me was on Weave 12, Azyr, where...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13