Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!  (Read 22291 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 10:44:49 pm »

I have become partial to the dwarf range myself. The crossbow is incredibly powerful and I have an axe that regularly causes me to berserk

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:38 pm »

Are there ONLY just a few missions (and probably more released in the future), or is there actually a story driven campaign with some sort of climax or conclusion? I haven't watched anything about this yet, I don't want to spoil it too much.

There are 13 missions, you get a little Lore at the start of each one. There are certain missions where you get a little exposition along the way, or a character talking to you (Cant tell you specifics without Spoilers). Beyond that, there's only the little conversations the Characters have randomly along the way. And those mostly serve as context to the relationship they have with each other (The Witchhunter being paranoid towards both the Elf and the Bright Wizard, the Imperial Soldier talking about his last Battalion. The Elf generally hating on everyone.).

In short, it is definetely NOT a story driven game. You get a good atmosphere and ambiente tough.

Now to add to the things Nenjin said.

Do not buy this game if you plan to play Solo.

Believe me. Just dont. Some missions are downright impossible, even on easy. The AI bugs out too much an the Spawns are too randomized. I would even go so far as to say that you almost need a Party of at least 2 to get trough easy, and a full on 4 man team that is communicating for anything beyond that. The last couple missions will plough you back to last years christmas if you dont stick together, cover each other and generally apply some Teamplay.

Throwing yourself into random matchmaking also comes with its own set of problems. Now, the game has been out for a little more than a day. So it's obvious that there are a lot of Newcomers around. But there are a couple things that definetely add to this problem.

- Loot is substantially better on higher difficulties. If you want even a half decent chance to get greens or blues (And see oranges) you will NEED to play on hard. This means that a lot of players will play on Harder difficulties for the Loot, even if they cant handle it at all, expecting the rest of the team to carry them trough.

- There is no penalty for leaving the game midway. "Loot-hopping" is quite common. People will join your game, check if you're close to finishing and how many Tomes you've gathered, and then leave right away if they are not satisfied. Similiarly, a lot of Players will leave the game the moment they go down. Either putting you at the mercy of a BOT, or having some other poor fella join, who then lands in a group of 3 dead people, only moments away from Game Over.

- You have absolutely no control over what your buddies loot. This includes Grimoires who lower your partys total health by 25%. There are usually two Grimoires in a Level, so the Debuff can add up to a whopping 50%. Since people are absolutely Loot Crazy, most of them will pick up Grimoires and the like without a second thought, potentially dooming your Run. This also goes for Health Pickups, Ammunition and everything else. Most people in random matchmaking care about themselves, the loot at the end of the Level and nothing beyond that.

- VoiP is disabled, unless you activate it manually in the Menu. And as per usual there are the typical subjects who completely refuse to even listen to the Voicechat. Again, this means Doom on hard, on some Levels even on normal.

TL/DR: Do yourself a favor and get friends. Add people that are nice and try to set up groups. It motivates people to be less egoistical and makes the game a lot less frustrating. Dont play Solo, and avoid the random matchmaking. Just trust me on this. You will NOT have a good time.

Incidentally, if you want to play a couple rounds, send me a PM and I'll add you on Steam.

this wheat mission is FUCKIN WILD

I thought that the Spawns were buggy at first. But the mission is actually MEANT to be this hard. Bring at least two people dedicated to killing Stormvermin. Or you WILL get overrun.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 12:48:23 am »

Dat wheat, Skaven cravin the food of the uber race. They fight like fucking crazy to defend it. That mission is basically one long fighting retreat back and forth.

Also I love the marching sounds of the Stormvermin.

I'm down for some MP.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 01:40:38 am »

Thanks Stuebi, you just saved me some money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:11 am »

I'm up for multiplayer as well if anyone wants it (name is in my sig, but if you can't see it for whatever reason, it's Cernel). If your steam name is different from the forum name, you may want to shoot me a PM, as I tend to get random invites from people I don't know every now and then.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:03:58 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 10:02:17 am »

Feel free to add me. My steam name is the same.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:39 am »

Oh man. I felt reaaally bad the last time I played that mission. A rat ogre spawned right after we finished getting the last of the wheat. It knocks me out of the way and proceeds to stand in the doorway of the carriage. So the three people in the carriage were pummeled to death while I was outside the carriage unable to get in to finish the level. They were all pretty angry at me afterwards.  :-[

TL/DR: Do yourself a favor and get friends. Add people that are nice and try to set up groups. It motivates people to be less egoistical and makes the game a lot less frustrating. Dont play Solo, and avoid the random matchmaking. Just trust me on this. You will NOT have a good time.

I don't find random matchmaking to be that bad. None of my friends own this game so I play with randoms exclusively and I haven't run into too many players who were exceptionally bad. Also a lot of the times when I play with randoms they'll ask the team before they pick up grims. Most of the time people are pretty generous with the healing items too, saving them for the most wounded of the party.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 11:03:55 am »

Oh man. I felt reaaally bad the last time I played that mission. A rat ogre spawned right after we finished getting the last of the wheat. It knocks me out of the way and proceeds to stand in the doorway of the carriage. So the three people in the carriage were pummeled to death while I was outside the carriage unable to get in to finish the level. They were all pretty angry at me afterwards.  :-[
How was that your fault, though? It's not like you wanted to do that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 11:41:21 am »

You're right it wasn't really my fault, but I still felt bad because we were so close to finishing the mission.

Anyway, if anyone wants to group sometime my name is Wiles on steam (and my avatar is a pug if there happens to be more than one Wiles). I mostly play on normal because I'm not really that good at the game yet.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 01:47:44 pm »

I don't find random matchmaking to be that bad. None of my friends own this game so I play with randoms exclusively and I haven't run into too many players who were exceptionally bad. Also a lot of the times when I play with randoms they'll ask the team before they pick up grims. Most of the time people are pretty generous with the healing items too, saving them for the most wounded of the party.

As someone who mastly plays on Hard and recently started on Nightmare, it really felt that way. Waaay too many people who barely have a grip on the game joining random games and fking everything up.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

In all fairness sometimes the only way to learn is to play the difficulties you can't handle.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »

Perhaps, but you really shouldn't be starting out on hard if you don't even know the map or mission. Play it a few times on normal first to become familiar with the basics.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:19 pm »

I didn't think I'd like this game because I hated L4D and L4D2 with a passion, but I actually love it. Fighting rat ogres is a lot more satisfying than the ridiculous zombie tank. Haven't played all of the classes yet but the witch hunter with a zweihander and double pistols is badass. Those pistols are strong.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 03:14:05 pm »

I've been playing elf almost exclusively. Love the trueshot bow. Fate is a bitch though; I've gotten about 20 green and blue non-trueshot bows, but no trueshots better than white.

Dorf is also a lot of fun, if you have good teamwork. I love holding back a tide of vermin while a witch stands safely behind me and blows them up. Of course, if my team isn't paying attention, then I just run out of stamina and get overwhelmed...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 03:28:42 pm »

I didn't think I'd like this game because I hated L4D and L4D2 with a passion, but I actually love it. Fighting rat ogres is a lot more satisfying than the ridiculous zombie tank. Haven't played all of the classes yet but the witch hunter with a zweihander and double pistols is badass. Those pistols are strong.

Yeah, despite being based on L4D1+2 in its design, the game achieves a totally different feel. For me, I liked L4D and versus was fun, but it never drove me wild. Partly because I thought zombie swarms died in uninteresting and unsatisfactory ways (basically vanishing as soon as they started to fall.) There's something very satisfying about killing rats in this game, levels feel like game levels instead of just sort of glorified sandboxes. And the loot gives it that one extra notch of gaminess and meta that L4D lacked.

I'm just about level 50 now. I'm decked out in blues and my hat but still only have two green trinkets. I've been playing hard consistently for a couple weeks now and feel like, gear aside, I'm ready to see what Nightmare is like. I love the soldier with the Zweihander but I'm being told on Nightmare and Cata, the 2-Handed Hammer is where it's at because the Zweihander eventually takes 3 normal hits to kill clan rats on those difficulties. Still, I'm sort of rather proud of my skills with it compared to your average pubby. I can go through significant chunks of levels without taking any damage at all. I basically try to cleave at the sides of swarms and make liberal use of the dodges to keep from getting guys at my back. It's partly why I like the game so much I think, positioning and situational awareness are super important, even more than in L4D. Blocking quickly and effectively is also really important to avoiding damage. You can even take out Rat Ogres with almost no damage to yourself if you got your dodges and blocks down.

Some people knock VT's melee combat but....I think it's a engaging, challenging, believable melee experience in the final analysis. It really gets the blood pumping to get stuck in against a big horde and actually fight your way through it instead of just constantly back pedaling. I feel like fucking Conan playing this game.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:09:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13