Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!  (Read 21975 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »

Their intended purpose is to amuse their team as they go catapulting over the first wave and in to the heart of the swarm.
Yeahh... It's pretty hilarious but holy shit it's so frigging hard to play.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34:55 am »

I'm necroing this thread because a new expansion has been announced for the game, and boy it's a big one:

It adds beastmen as enemies. I am rather excited about it, since I really like the game already.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2019, 11:49:46 am »

Looks pretty snazzy. I'm curious about how the weaves are going to turn out, but the concept of a "potentially infinite" endgame is interesting at least from a theoretical point of view.

I'm reasonably certain it'll get utterly hacked/broken within a few hours of release, of course, but that's just how it goes.

Shame about not having beastman adventure maps, but ah well... Beastmen are fun regardless, and it's nice to hear that they're trying to do some slightly different approaches to things.

I've actually got a copy of VT2 now, along with a computer that can probably run it (as well as it can be run, in any case), but now I've got the issue of having a mouse that refuses to cooperate on the surfaces I have available. So, yeah, don't particularly feel like playing "Bababardidin, the epileptic dwarf" at the moment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2019, 12:01:33 pm »

Well this will probably be enough to bring me back to playing for a while. Setting aside the weaves, Beastmen just fucking rule.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »

Instead of just killing rats and swamp people... we get to kill animal things?  (I don't really know what beastmen are.)
Well, I was gonna buy this DLC anyways, regardless of what they put in.

Also, for anyone that has not played since... *checks last post before necro*  April 2018.  They changed the dodge mechanics so that enemies already launching attacks do not auto-track you for a longer period of time.  Enemies used to quickly adjust their attacks to hit you anyways after you dodge, now they swing at air.  (Or if you don't dodge far enough or go back to that same spot they are swinging at, it'll land anyways.) 
It mostly 'fixes' the ice skating thing that rothelms and the likes used to employ all the time with their overhead attacks. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2019, 01:01:57 pm »

Beastmen are just that: men wot are beasts. Goat faces, horns, hooves, opposable thumbs. I guess they're technically chaos mutants in the WHF world but they've been around a long, long time. They form tribes, worship chaos totems in the forest of the Old World, hang out with Minotaurs and all the other chaos-type beasties like Harpies.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2019, 01:32:41 pm »

They are the Gor, much the same way that the Broos are Broos.

So, yeah. They're originally humans that were exposed to minor chaos warping effects, and developed various bestial traits. Then they got chased off into the woods and basically became their own society/"species" of sorts, despite there still being considerable differences from one Gor to another, due to their nature. They just hate everything, most everything hates them in return, and fight happens.

Effectively, a bunch of angsty horns and hooves.

And Warhammer minotaurs are actually just one of the many subspecies of beastman. Specifically "Bullgor". Gor subspecies are normally lumped together based on characteristic traits (being about yea big, having a bull head, and being good in a scrap are the main classifications necessary for a proper Bullgor), and the general hierarchy is mostly determined by how big you are and, more importantly, how big your horns are and how many you've got.

Brays, for example, are the worst of the worst... They don't even have horns! They are the grots of the Gor, and will fling their pitifully hornless bodies into battle in the hopes of possibly dying a good death (and finally escaping the bullying from the upper classes). But they're cowards and shit at fighting, so that doesn't really work out too well either. They're so bad, they had to find a new name to place them even lower than the Ungors (not-quite-right gors, "no-horns", despite the fact that many will possess at least one horn)!

The article mentions Bestigors who, as you might be able to guess from the name, are the best. They're elites, they're really big, and they have magnificent horns... Often quite a few, at that!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »

They are the Gor, much the same way that the Broos are Broos.

So, yeah. They're originally humans that were exposed to minor chaos warping effects, and developed various bestial traits. Then they got chased off into the woods and basically became their own society/"species" of sorts, despite there still being considerable differences from one Gor to another, due to their nature. They just hate everything, most everything hates them in return, and fight happens.

Effectively, a bunch of angsty horns and hooves.

And Warhammer minotaurs are actually just one of the many subspecies of beastman. Specifically "Bullgor". Gor subspecies are normally lumped together based on characteristic traits (being about yea big, having a bull head, and being good in a scrap are the main classifications necessary for a proper Bullgor), and the general hierarchy is mostly determined by how big you are and, more importantly, how big your horns are and how many you've got.

Brays, for example, are the worst of the worst... They don't even have horns! They are the grots of the Gor, and will fling their pitifully hornless bodies into battle in the hopes of possibly dying a good death (and finally escaping the bullying from the upper classes). But they're cowards and shit at fighting, so that doesn't really work out too well either. They're so bad, they had to find a new name to place them even lower than the Ungors (not-quite-right gors, "no-horns", despite the fact that many will possess at least one horn)!

The article mentions Bestigors who, as you might be able to guess from the name, are the best. They're elites, they're really big, and they have magnificent horns... Often quite a few, at that!
Sometimes a Bestigor gets so Best that he actually manages to be noticed by senpai one of the Chaos Gods, which then results in them mutating into a Pestigor, Tzaangor, Slaangor, or Khorngor.

There's also the Bray Shamans, who despite the name actually have huge horns.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:01 pm »

Don't forget Pestigors too.

reading is hard.

Also it's not quite clear how Beastmen actually reproduce. I'm not sure I actually *want* to know.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:03:35 pm by nenjin »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2019, 03:10:27 pm »

Oh, hey, there's a thread for this. I'd gladly play with the folks around here.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2019, 05:58:18 pm »

I wouldn't mind playing with some B12 peeps.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2019, 03:21:36 pm »

Winds of Magic DLC for Vermintide 2 is out.

It's....a real monster.

Highlights:

-Beastmen enemy type. Several different kinds from hordes to elites to monsters.

-Stagger is the name of the game. They've reworked the mechanics around stagger pretty significantly, making it a more core gameplay mechanic and handing out a lot of bonus damage for it under various circumstances.

-About 1 new weapon per hero.

-New difficulty level above Legendary.

-New game mode.

Full patch notes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't played VT2 in quite a while. Basically got my jollies out of the game by that point. But this seems like a worthy addition to get me to check it out again. It's a $20 DLC, which seems pretty steep. You might make the argument it's a little too pricey. But with an entire new set of enemies (including I hope some amazing voice acting), more weapons, more animations and all the fixes, I think it's pretty fair. Fatshark does a pretty thorough job when it comes to content, and for how they've stuck with the game and continued to improve it, I feel like it's a reasonable price.

The base game is _75%_ off right now, so about $7.50. If you were thinking about trying it, I'd say there's no better time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:55:43 pm by nenjin »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2019, 04:43:44 pm »

I've been playing it a bit. I really like the new level, I really like the beastmen (though I've yet to see a minotaur), and I have been liking the weaves so far even if they are kicking my behind.

I've yet to play Cataclysm, but the combat changes to Legend and below aren't that big if anyone's worried.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2019, 04:55:56 pm »

Oh there are new levels. Cool.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2019, 05:27:35 pm »

Might as well give a more detailed take since everywhere I look I keep seing folks going "THE GAME IS DEAD, THE END TIMES ARE NIGH".

A lot of builds changed, but to be honest a lot of the old talent picks were just bad. The game was also all about dodging and attack speed, nothing else mattered. Block angle and stamina costs were pretty much useless? Now they actually matter and you can dodgespam to victory, you got to actually think a bit when playing.

There's also a lot of hate for the weaves, calling it "recycled content that no one cares about". Yeah, it's reused maps, but they've been changed enough that I actually took a few runs through a few to recognize them, and the game is more than just the maps. It's about, at least to me, gradually increasing the difficulty as you master the intricacies of the gameplay loop.

The new map, Dark Omens, is pretty great and serves as a showcase to the beastmen (though they appear on all maps). The beastmen are really well executed and holding chokepoints when a bestigor is around is a very risky proposition as they can and will just ram their way through.

Versus ain't up yet and I'm not really interested in it. It's also free content and thus doesn't matter as far as dlc reviewing does.

Yeah it's a tad pricey, but to someone who really loves the game, has played it a whole godsdamned lot and wants more variety to it? I don't regret the purchase one bit.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13