Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Rooms, Admiring Furniture And Buildings  (Read 982 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Rooms, Admiring Furniture And Buildings
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

Silly question that's probably already been asked and answered before but here goes: I have assumed that the thoughts one gets from using high quality rooms (legendary/fantastic/great/very good/good for dining rooms, personal palace/fantastic/great/very good/good for bedrooms) correspond to the room values royal(10000)/grand(2500)/great(1500)/fine(1000)/decent(500) respectively, likewise for tombs (please correct me if I'm wrong on this matter). But what about furniture and buildings? Do the completely sublime/wonderful/splendid/very fine thoughts correspond to the royal(10000)/grand(2500)/great(1500)/fine(1000) values? I also read that ownership and preference increases the happiness a dwarf gets from furniture or buildings, but does it also move it up the completely sublime/wonderful/splendid/very fine progression? I'd do the !SCIENCE! on it myself, but I'm not exactly in a position to do so.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:26:04 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using Rooms, Admiring Furniture And Buildings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:23 pm »

I know thoughts don't necessarily line up with actual value, since most of my dwarves say they've dined in a legendary dining hall, yet my nobles have it listed as a Fine or Grand one. I think only the nobles thoughts really line up with what the qualities are, since they demand certain qualities.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »

I know thoughts don't necessarily line up with actual value, since most of my dwarves say they've dined in a legendary dining hall, yet my nobles have it listed as a Fine or Grand one. I think only the nobles thoughts really line up with what the qualities are, since they demand certain qualities.
To be clear: You assigned your communal dining hall, which inspires the thought "dined in a legendary dining hall" in normal dwarfs, to a noble to check it's value, and it only had a value of Fine or Grand? Again, I'd do the science myself, but I always build 60 table dining halls and by the time I get around to it my masons are so skilled that it always ends up being worth 10000+ dwarfbucks.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »

Yeah, that's right. I've gotten normal dwarves saying it was legendary when it was as low as Decent before.

I might !SCIENCE! it at some point, I do tables by however many dwarves I have, so as long as I don't get an explosion migration I might be able to work it out :|a
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »

Furniture does not align with those numbers.  My dwarves admire their own completely sublime cabinet all the time, and the cabinet is clear glass and worth 600.  I think that they rate furniture more highly if it belongs to them than if it's just sitting around somewhere, but they also admire completely sublime seats in the dining room, which are also clear glass and also worth 600.

Now, really high-value furniture bumps the happy thought up from "pleasure" to "awe," so the objective value does matter.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:20:53 pm »

I have assumed that the thoughts one gets from using high quality rooms (legendary/fantastic/great/very good/good for dining rooms, personal palace/fantastic/great/very good/good for bedrooms) correspond to the room values royal(10000)/grand(2500)/great(1500)/fine(1000)/decent(500) respectively, likewise for tombs (please correct me if I'm wrong on this matter).

This assumption is wrong. The thought quality doesn't come from an absolute quality rating but rather from a relative one, i.e. from how nice the room is compared to what the dwarf in question is entitled to.

An ordinary civilian with no administrative position is entitled to absolutely nothing quality-wise. So for them, a modest bedroom is "very good" and a fine dining hall is "legendary" - because it's five levels better than what they expect. To a duchess, the very same fine dining room would be two levels below her standard and she'ld complain about eating in a "very poor" room.

P.S.: furniture appreciation seems to be linked to absolute value of the item(s) in question (i.e. independent of status of the admiring dwarf), but i'm far from certain. And as Daris observed, cutoffs are in line with single-item values. Personality features (appreciation of beauty/art...) may cause differences between individual dwarfs.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:29:24 pm by Larix »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:38 pm »

So, if I'm interpreting this right, if I were magically able to wave my hands and increase the value of a room without placing any more furniture in it, I wouldn't get any benefit from increasing the value of non-noble bedrooms and my dining hall by waving my hands if they are already 1000 dwarfbucks or more. However, filling those rooms with very valuable furniture will make my dwarfs happier because of the happy thoughts they get from admiring the furniture. Also, the king will never gain any happy thoughts from his room, only the furniture in it; the king expects that all his rooms be royal and since royal is the highest quality tier there is no way to exceed his expectations.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »

I think he should get happy thoughts because he's in a room of his expectations, just not a super happy one from the exceeding expectations :|a Though I'm not sure.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »

Happy feelings about the room itself really need a room that's _better_ than what the dwarf expects. That's patently impossible with monarchs, who expect the very best.

Duchess with royal accomodations - "slept in a good bedroom/ate in a good dining room"
Duke with grand bedroom, grand dining room - no explicit room feelings
Queen with royal rooms - no explicit room feelings; she's still extremely stoked about owned fancy furniture. If you meet their requirements, monarchs have _tons_ of furniture.