Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A stupid aquifier question  (Read 2869 times)

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A stupid aquifier question
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »

I'm sorry if the question sounds stupid, but if I make an aquifier piece fall down via cave-in, will it keep being an aquifier (so I have aquifier on the lower level)?
I want to believe

pieceoftheuniverse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A stupid aquifier question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:19:15 am »

Yes. Anything you cave in will keep its properties, as long as the chunk is intact. Natural terrain remains intact when it drops.

Basically, you're doing the inverse of the cave-in method. In that instance, you would cave in a section of non-aquifer into a hole in the aquifer, thus allowing you to dig through it normally.

I would advise taking a large chunk of the aquifer down with you (four or six tiles), just so you have both a source of water and a good place to dump the excess.

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:51:29 am »

Yay, thanks. This should make great waterfalls, free energy sources and such as long as I don't flood everything below. I wish I could move it around in other directions than plain down though.
I want to believe

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:40:37 am »

New goal: move an aquifer to the circus to create a pretty waterfall into the pits :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:35:32 pm »

New goal: move an aquifer to the circus to create a pretty waterfall into the pits :)
Think this is spoilerish:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 02:22:52 pm »

Sounds like a mega project.

Though we may or may not have to cheat and make slade mineable.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »

Don't think you need to modify anything to generate a water fall. However, I'm now not convinced a cave-in into the circus area works as it does normally. The reason for that is that water+magma seems to work as on SMR in my very recent attempt to get some remote controlled obsidian generation done there. If cave-ins fail it ought to work if you build a landing floor, though.

It shouldn't be that much of a project, provided you've established yourself in the target area. A single tile should be sufficient, if you prepare the landing site with walls and a drawbridge around that tile. The site should obviously be selected such that you have a suitable tile to drop, but then you just need to make a shaft all the way from the target area up to the tile below the aquifer.
Channel out the aquifer around the tile, and drop a ring of the level above to smash through the floor, bringing the aquifer tile in the middle along with it. Unless the cave in ring fuses with the aquifer tile, it should stop below the aquifer level, while the aquifer itself continues on downwards. Obviously, it's a good idea to cauterize the walls of the aquifer hole before this exercise, unless you want another waterfall there.
If the aquifer tile DOES fuse with the ring, the whole set stops one level below the aquifer level. You'd then channel out a 3*3 area below the ring (the middle is the hole, so it's already taken care of). Dig out a ring outside of the outer ring, hook up the aquifer tile to a support and then channel away at the ring from the outside, leaving a weeping aquifer tile hanging in the air. Pull the lever, and the tile should continue down to its destination. If you're cautious, you may want to add some additional drain, in case the weeping aquifer tile produces more water than a single tile shaft can swallow.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:53:00 am »

OK, done. Bringing an aquifer tile down to the circus did not result in a local aquifer.

What I did:
- Obsidianized a ring around a single aquifer tile.
- Obsidianized a ring two tiles further out to allow me to channel down in between.
- Hooked the aquifer tile up to a support hooked up to a lever.
- Removed all support for the 3*3 package apart for that provided by the built Support.
- Dug a 3*3 shaft all the way down to the target, with the exception of a single tile just below the aquifer tile (or it will leak).
- Paved the parts of the target 3*3 area that wasn't already Gabbro due to previous paving/removal. 3 tiles of the ring were actually built up to reach the same level as the rest.
- Built a bridge below the 3*3 block to be dropped to allow the removal of the water plugging tile just before the drop.
- Removed the bottom plug and dropped the package (the bridge was obviously smashed in the process).

The result at the target was a 3*3 frame of obsidian with a Gabbro block in the middle instead of the original conglomerate, and digging through a tile of the protective obsidian did not release any water. If I remember correctly, the floor on which the former aquifer tile landed was not paved, but reported as gabbro after an earlier wall had been removed.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »

OK, done. Bringing an aquifer tile down to the circus did not result in a local aquifer.

Thanks for actually testing. The assumption (no change) does not hold when you try to plug an aquifer by caving in a clay layer as well, it will magically change to the aquifer soil layer when dropped. (0.34.x)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 11:09:17 am »

To clarify, what's happening is this very old bug. Collapsing natural layer stone into a new layer causes it to change into the destination layer's stone material, as well as inheriting any special properties of the destination tile (including the "aquifer" flag).  Mineral veins, however, ought to stay the same.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.