Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game mechanics?  (Read 2813 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game mechanics?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:27 am »

As usual, the idea wasn't mine, but came from the forum. I have, however, found that you can even use it under water (had a tree completely submerged under rock) by building a drawbridge and a drain and then carve a fortification in the wall. Then you just keep firing until the tree is gone, and then close the drawbridge.

A somewhat odd result of tree disintegration is that it leaves holes in the water where the trunk was (2 tiles deep if that is the water depth), and creature can actually get there and breathe (although they're then trapped). Creating waves can cause these holes to collapse, however.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:25:04 am »

Favorite: Minecarts and generally anything that improves efficiency or can be used for protection (because dwarves are quite inefficient by themselves.)

Least favorite: The glitches and ambiguity with stockpile links, especially when combined with burrows; workshops really need options to "take only from links" or "prefer from links", rather than just defaulting to link-only - and the glitches kn combination with burrows are extremely frustrating. Creates a whole lot of extra work just to keep them from hauling stones across the entire fort to make a pot. Corollary least favorite: dwarves choosing the material that's closest to them, rather than what's closest to the workshop, when they take a job.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »

Favorite:
-Magma.
-Pumps
-Raising bridges
-Burrows

Indifferent/Not Used:
-Minecart I have never used to this day, it's basically my next step.
-Siege Weapons, I wish you could rotate them and aim better.

Dislike:
-Bins vs. Barrels (I wish barrels were used for everything!).
-Wooden weapons/armor are annoying when a dorf gets attached.
-Cage Traps are ridiculously overpowered.
-Similarly, winding trap hallways seems like a game-y way of taking advantage of pathing.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:45 pm »

By god, minecarts are glorious. If you have the tiniest bit of interest in large-scale dwarven engineering projects, learn how to minecart. Of course, you do require impulse ramps if you want to make practical devices, but for normal usage rollers and ramps do just fine. Note that guided minecarts (to move stuff from A to B) is ridiculously easy to setup -- very much different from the complex pushed minecart physics that many tend to shy away from.

And now to not derail this thread, I have to admit I've never used military scheduling either :P. I'm just not that micro-intensive.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 04:22:27 am »

Patrols used to be how I'd get my marksdwarves to reload after firing from a parapet. Haven't had a siege in a long time to see if this is still necessary.

Stockpile-workshop links are glorious. As are push-minecarts with auto-dump stops to create neat, quantum stockpiles.

Hate the sheer quantity (and disorganisation) of choices in stockpile options. Do I really need a stockpile for specific FB #18's fat? And why do I have to scroll through so many plants to pick the few that are fabric material?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:25 am »

All this talk of minecarts inspires me to try them for the first time.  I have never so much as carved a tile of track.  Nor have I ever used a traffic designation.

I think my least favourite mechanic that I have used is siege weaponry.  Onerous and clumsy, even though in theory it could be awesome.

There are a few mechanics that have a soft spot in my heart in spite of not being very efficient: beekeeping, the ceramic industry, the "special" glass industry (my heart leaps for joy every time I find a rock crystal cluster), and making rock nut soap.

Do I really need a stockpile for specific FB #18's fat?

How else could you arrange to make rare and exquisite soaps for the discerning gentledwarf?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 12:01:55 pm »

I actually don't like minecarts so much. I've only used them once, and it ended up being not so very useful, and making the cart stop after being pushed in a direction was not very intuitive, you'd think you could have a special building just to do that, but you only have to put a wall. And then there was that for some stupid reason, if there was no tile with no items on it directly adjacent to the cart then the items in it would never get moved to the stockpile.

However, the military is something I like. Altough it's hard to set up, it's interesting.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »

I actually don't like minecarts so much. I've only used them once, and it ended up being not so very useful, and making the cart stop after being pushed in a direction was not very intuitive, you'd think you could have a special building just to do that, but you only have to put a wall. And then there was that for some stupid reason, if there was no tile with no items on it directly adjacent to the cart then the items in it would never get moved to the stockpile.

If I understand your concerns correctly, I believe a track stop will solve all your problems. They stop a cart dead in its tracks, and can autodump its contents onto any adjacent tile.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »

If I understand your concerns correctly, I believe a track stop will solve all your problems. They stop a cart dead in its tracks, and can autodump its contents onto any adjacent tile.
As in, no dwarf involved? Just automagically eject the cart contents into adjectent tiles?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

Yep. Quantum stockpiled, too.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 12:34:20 am »

Most: The ability to set a door as internal/external so I can have massive overlapping rooms where everybody has their own cabinet to store shit in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Least: That there is no way to increase the speed at which you enlarge a room designation. It's why I like to keep the pop cap at 20 for a while.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 06:15:49 am »

Yep. Quantum stockpiled, too.
Sounds like I need to stick some time in minecarts. I guess that no items were dropped out was just a glitch then, since it happened somewhere around 40.01, or at least before the current version.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:23 am »

If you ram a mine cart into a wall fast enough stuff will fall out (and if I understand some other threads correctly, that's the basic mechanism behind a dwarven shotgun).

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 10:49:03 am »

Track stops are much easier to use than shotgunning. The speeds required for the shotgun effect need many down/impulse ramps and *will* kill a dwarf or two by accident.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 11:12:09 am »

Yes, I didn't intend to suggest using shotgunning as a replacement for track stops, just that shotgunning was probably what latias1290 experienced.
Pages: 1 [2]