Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: According to Netanyahu, Holocaust was a Palestinian idea, not Hitler's  (Read 7418 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: According to Netanyahu, Holocaust was a Palestinian idea, not Hitler's
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 05:04:19 am »

Not directly though.  It's a matter of sub-culture identities and more complex.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 05:12:58 am »

Ohw but there is cause and effect, just the other way around. Being an antisemite makes you 100 times more likely to deny the holocaust.
I'm not sure. There's a lot of anti-semites who fully acknowledge the Holocaust and express sadness it did not complete.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 05:49:37 am »

There is some odd phenomena where conspiracy theories have somehow become very popular. You hear people defend the craziest things completely oblivious of facts.

Shit that I have seen this month:

International space station doesn't exist
Holocaust did not happen
Moon landing are a hoax
9/11 conspiracy shit
Nukes don't exist

I guess it has something to do with the internet making the spread of such idea's easy and the overall increasing complexity of the world we live in that makes it hard to comprehend.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:48 am »

Moon landing are a hoax

Of all the ones this is the most disappointing because it can be instantly confirmed at anytime.

It kind of ruins the joy of a conspiracy theory when you can basically prove it wrong by just looking at it.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 06:36:14 am »

The ISS is perhaps the most disappointing because while the others are all historic events (I see "Nukes don't exist" as saying "Hiroshima and Nagasaki were never bombed by a Nuke, so the japanese are just a bunch of lying cry babies", which is the same as saying the Holocaust didn't exist) and thus subject to possible yet non plausible revisionism, the ISS can be seen directly by anyone with a decent telescope.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 07:15:54 am »

Denying the holocaust doesn't make you an antisemite any more then shaving your head and tatooing a sawastika on it makes you a Nazi.  There is no cause and effect.

Damn Buddhists!
Alright, sigged.

Not directly though.  It's a matter of sub-culture identities and more complex.
Yes but that's hard, so holocaust denier -> anti-semite -> holocaust denier. As usual, nobody notices or learns anything from the crushing irony.

There is some odd phenomena where conspiracy theories have somehow become very popular. You hear people defend the craziest things completely oblivious of facts.
Of all the ones this is the most disappointing because it can be instantly confirmed at anytime.

It kind of ruins the joy of a conspiracy theory when you can basically prove it wrong by just looking at it.
The ISS is perhaps the most disappointing because while the others are all historic events (I see "Nukes don't exist" as saying "Hiroshima and Nagasaki were never bombed by a Nuke, so the japanese are just a bunch of lying cry babies", which is the same as saying the Holocaust didn't exist) and thus subject to possible yet non plausible revisionism, the ISS can be seen directly by anyone with a decent telescope.
What, no love for the venerable Flat Earth Society? It's like a gold mine for tilting your head at your screen.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 07:32:43 am »

I'm not entirely sure (it doesn't often come up in conversation), but I think I used to know a guy who was president of the Flat Earth Society for a while. He was also a well-known geographer with a reasonable academic reputation, so go figure. It might only have been the local wing, or a similar but distinct group though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 09:03:24 am »

Yes but that's hard, so holocaust denier -> anti-semite -> holocaust denier. As usual, nobody notices or learns anything from the crushing irony.

What do you mean nobody learns anything?  It's a very illuminating correlation that tells you a lot, especially when combined with basic knowledge about society.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 11:43:31 am »

Denying the holocaust doesn't make you an antisemite any more then shaving your head and tatooing a sawastika on it makes you a Nazi.  There is no cause and effect.

Just as correlation does not prove causation, lack of causation doesn't disprove correlation.

There's a distinct lack of holocaust deniers who don't turn out to be anti-semites or pro-nazi.

By the same token we can say there's no specific connection between being a Neo-Nazi and anti-semitic. Someone could support Hitler but claim the anti-Jewish stuff was a slur against Hitler. Therefore they're pro-Nazi but they're claiming the anti-Jewish stuff never happened, which wouldn't make them anti-semitic per se, as they seek to decouple the evidence of anti-semitism from Hitlers track record.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:45:36 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 12:23:27 pm »

Germany saw it's chance... and said no.  I guess Germany likes the hat of guilt to the hundredth generation.

Just as correlation does not prove causation, lack of causation doesn't disprove correlation.

There's a distinct lack of holocaust deniers who don't turn out to be anti-semites or pro-nazi.

... yeah, that was my point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:50:43 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 01:41:41 pm »

Damn straight, Bibi! Christopher Hitchens was right!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:29 am »

Holy shit I just read the flat earth societies forum.

There are people there that ACTUALLY belief it.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:57 am »

This is one of the few times it's not Charlemagne's fault

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 01:12:30 pm »

It would be like if I didn't believe, say, Suffrage happened that I'd be sexist.
Also does it really matter who came up with the idea? The real process that made the holocaust different was the technology and organization involved. The idea of "murdering everyone of one type of people" isn't anything new.

Yeah. It wasn't really an original idea anyway. It was a pretty mediocre rehash of things like the armenian genocide and the biblical conquest of canaan.

EDIT:
It's not really meaningfully more significant than those prior genocides nor to subsequent genocides like the one in Rawanda

I'm not entirely sure (it doesn't often come up in conversation), but I think I used to know a guy who was president of the Flat Earth Society for a while. He was also a well-known geographer with a reasonable academic reputation, so go figure. It might only have been the local wing, or a similar but distinct group though.

I always assumed that the Flat Earth Society was one of those things like Conservapedia where trolls outnumbered the serious members
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:22:27 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »

I always assumed that the Flat Earth Society was one of those things like Conservapedia where trolls outnumbered the serious members

I'm pretty sure.  I went there when I was a naive teenager once and posted some stuff about the cavendish experiments.  A troll responded to me who was a moderator.  I believe the foxes are running the henhouse.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5