Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: German newspaper Bild declares open war on Facebook hateposters  (Read 5699 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
German newspaper Bild declares open war on Facebook hateposters
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:56:32 am »

The German popular newspaper, Bild, openly attacked hateposters last monday.
The paper published the hate messages, including a picture and the real name of the poster.

So far, one of the publicly exposed hateposters has responded by sending an apology letter to the newspaper for the post in which he had asked for Auschwitz and Buchenwald to be re-opened, and the crematoria lit.

Even for Bild, which is a paper that itself does not shy away from populistic incitations, this kind of public sentencing is considered extreme, but it does fit with the struggle that has been ongoing for a while now between the EU and Facebook.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:58:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: German newspaper Bild declares open war on Facebook hateposters
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 04:01:12 am »

I am confused here...

By Hate Posting what do you mean exactly?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:02:55 am »

Hateposting = posting statements that incite hatred against a specific group of people, or person

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:04:37 am »

Hateposting = posting statements that incite hatred against a specific group of people, or person

That sounds specific... But I am going to have to ask if that is specifically what it means versus

"Posting statements of hatred against a specific group of people, or person"

Because the first is specifically "Hate speech" that can get you sentenced in a court of law regardless of what the newspapers do.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:12:39 am »

Because the first is specifically "Hate speech" that can get you sentenced in a court of law regardless of what the newspapers do.
Lol. If that were enforced for online hate speech, all our prisons would be completely overcrowded with 13 year olds.
I do think that one of the underlying issues is that the EU kindof wants to be able to identify and persecute hateposters, but Facebook will only remove hateposts (if they agree on it needing to be removed), and refuses to release identities or other private information of posters (except ofcourse to well paying commercial parties).
Which is probably why Bild had some of their reporters / private investigators break privacy laws and trace hateposter real name, and personal pictures.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:15:58 am by martinuzz »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:40:08 am »

It does fit with the struggle that has been ongoing for a while now between the EU and Facebook.
As a 'MURICAN, can you fill me in on this struggle? On that note, do you have any links, any other sources where the interested can read up on this story?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:13 am »

links?

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:09:44 am by martinuzz »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 11:26:30 am »

So they're doxxing trolls? Don't they have better things to do with their time?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:52:40 am »

I wish our media spent their time doxxing trolls and bigots. It'd be a much more productive use of time and space.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 02:12:56 pm »

I wish our media spent their time doxxing trolls and bigots. It'd be a much more productive use of time and space.

So you think ruining people's lives by whipping up witch hunts is a constructive way to go about things? Because that's what's going on here. I checked these out, and found some of them rather interesting. Sure there were posts like the one about starting Auschwitz back up, but about half of the ones in that article are just people griping about politicians.

„Der Frau wurde mächtig ins Gehirn geschissen. so ein großer Verrat ans deutsche Volk“,

Rude certainly, but I'm not sure Angela Merkel needs or deserves this kind of defense. Or how about this one?

„den de Maiziere die alte Ratte soll der Teufel holen an den werden wir denken wenn es so weit ist wenn das Volk ihre Verräter straft“

Again rather rude, but only if you're the German Interior Minister.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

Note FD didn't actually say that they would be productive uses of time and space. Just much more productive. There's an important distinction, there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »

Yeah. Um. If I had to describe US media's use of time and space in terms of productivity and meaningful content using an oceanic metaphor, with the surface representing a wash and higher = better, this is where we'd be both now and after that theoretical change.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 03:34:23 pm »

Isn't Germany the place where the government is taking ALL THE REFUGEES, then throwing their own citizens out of their homes and businesses to make room for them? And then a bunch of the refugees go and commit crimes because apparently they didn't want to escape the violence so much as spread it around?

So yeah...they should probably focus on fixing their crazy policies and less on smacking people upset about their crazy policies.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5