Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Roll To Protect: The Neighborhood  (Read 14433 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Protect: The Pop Idol
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »

Oh crap. I am so late for this op. But, uh, if I can find... uh... whoever it is I'm supposed to be protecting, we might still be in business!

I mean, how often are terrorist attacks aimed at such frivolous things as pop stars, anyway? Whatsherface probably didn't even notice me not being there in the first place. Maybe I can pretend to have been there all along! Yeah!

((1 + 1 + 1) * 2) / 1

You merge your consciousness into the gestalt entity that makes up the decision-making part of our nameless protagonist. Welcome to the game! Maybe when this op is over, the GM can get his ducks in a row and bother with things like "multiple protagonists" and "keeping track of a proper RTD game" :P

(I swear, the next campaign/game/round/whatever of this will have multiple characters. Trying to create a hybrid SG and RTD was a bonehead move. I lose 1 credibility.)

If the basement doesn't exist, use another ramp to go to the roof and drive off the top of the building.

(4)

You kick your car into high gear, zooming up the ramp to the roof of the building. You clip a plain sedan on the way up, but it crumples and folds aside like cardboard as you rush onto the roof and crash through the fence.

The fall was quicker than you expected. The impact shakes you around a fair bit, but the airbag doesn't deploy and the engine is still running. The mob closed the door behind them when they entered the parking garage, so you have a little bit of time before they redirect themselves.

However, you have another problem: This mob seems to have escalated into a full-blown riot. There's plenty of citizens roaming the street, and they look pissed. It looks like the tension of the genemod debate has reached its peak tonight. The more organized, leader element of the mob has set up a instacrete barricade... directly in the way you need to be going. You can probably ram through it, but it's hard to tell at this distance in the dark.

Spoiler: Map of the area (click to show/hide)

You can move up the street and take your chances with the barricade, or go down to try and find another way around.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Protect: The Pop Idol [Hybrid SG + RTD game]
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:43 pm »

I say gamble on the barricade
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 10:45:43 pm »

Hotels have pretty big doors to let in baggage carts. Pretty big lobbies, too. But big enough to let a car come in one door and leave via another? Let's find out. (I hope these guys have drywall!)

Go through the front doors (in their absence, any door will do) of the hotel, ride through it, and come out the other side (or the north-eastern side if absolutely needed), then go down the street (the one parallel to our current one) in the direction of the police station.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 04:12:14 am »

Might as well join in myself.
try to remember what the walls of the hotel are made of, both inside and out. If there is anything stone or brick based, we are better off finding a different way around.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »

Might as well join in myself.
try to remember what the walls of the hotel are made of, both inside and out. If there is anything stone or brick based, we are better off finding a different way around.

Hotels have pretty big doors to let in baggage carts. Pretty big lobbies, too. But big enough to let a car come in one door and leave via another? Let's find out. (I hope these guys have drywall!)

Go through the front doors (in their absence, any door will do) of the hotel, ride through it, and come out the other side (or the north-eastern side if absolutely needed), then go down the street (the one parallel to our current one) in the direction of the police station.

The hotel walls are made of typical drywall, although they're a bit too narrow for your car. You may lose velocity and get stuck in the hallways... or you might not. Nobody's ever tried to crash through an entire building in one of these things before.

I'm gonna wait till later today to see if anybody pitches in, but if nobody does then the "crash through the hotel" plan wins by majority.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »

drywall only? Sounds good. Let's do it and hope the collateral isn't taken off our pay.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 09:04:48 pm »

drywall only? Sounds good. Let's do it and hope the collateral isn't taken off our pay.

You rev the car up. This will take every bit of speed this vehicle can muster. The roar of the engine rips up and down the highway. You point the car in the general direction of the foyer. You zoom forward, crashing through the first layer of wall, then the next. You can't see anything, all is a blur of dust and rubble as you crash through wall after wall...

(1)

And then the engine dies. The cycle regulator must have been damaged by the fall, or maybe it's just bad luck. Either way, you crash through a few more walls and come to a dead stop. Your car is stuck halfway between the wall, so your door is pinned; you can exit through the passenger side, however.

You can hear a chopper overhead, and see the orange glow of fire. Things must be getting very serious outside. If you can somehow hold out until the police arrive in force, they will gladly mow down the rioters to extract Ila.

You are safe inside your car; it would take some doing to get inside, but it's not impregnable. Nobody seems to realize what happened, but things will not stay that way for long. If you exit the car, you'll be in the foyer; you can see Ila's motorcade, although a crowd stands between you and it. If you can get her to the motorcade, Ila is no longer your responsibility.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:06:33 pm by itisnotlogical »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 09:08:02 pm »

What would it take to get to the roof?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »

There's the elevator, or the stairwell. Both should be intact; your path didn't take the car through either of them.

Your car's external cams show you that the hallways are clear, for the moment.

(Are you guys enjoying this so far? I haven't done many forum games before.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:13:30 pm by itisnotlogical »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 09:21:06 pm »

It's a bit to early to tell, so far there hasn't been any railroading or Gm ex machina (I'm very guilty of that last one). I'm not a good judge of forum games, but I'm enjoying this so that should count for something. My big tip is to not let initial success get to your head. It may make you value a game too much. Eventually the initial hype will die down and then you will have to look at it from a more critical perspective. 

Break out of car and run for the stairs, then climb slowly while listening for footsteps

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:20 am »

It's a bit to early to tell, so far there hasn't been any railroading or Gm ex machina (I'm very guilty of that last one). I'm not a good judge of forum games, but I'm enjoying this so that should count for something. My big tip is to not let initial success get to your head. It may make you value a game too much. Eventually the initial hype will die down and then you will have to look at it from a more critical perspective. 

Break out of car and run for the stairs, then climb slowly while listening for footsteps
We should auto-tint the windows, so that they won't know that we and Ila aren't inside (and obviously lock the car behind us). Would it be possible to leave a looping message of "Stay away from the car. Do not attempt to get to us or it will be assumed you are trying to cause us harm. I repeat do not attempt to enter. <10 second pause> <repeat>"
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »

We should auto-tint the windows, so that they won't know that we and Ila aren't inside (and obviously lock the car behind us). Would it be possible to leave a looping message of "Stay away from the car. Do not attempt to get to us or it will be assumed you are trying to cause us harm. I repeat do not attempt to enter. <10 second pause> <repeat>"

You exit with Ila and lock the door behind you, leaving the flashers on. It should provide a neat distraction. You slip into the stairwell with Ila and begin climbing just as the first curious rioters begin arriving on the scene.

(3)

You ascend the stairs as quietly as you can manage, but you're starting to get tired. The stress is getting to Ila too, and you fairly have to pull her after you. The stairs seem to drag on forever... floor 2... floor 3... floor 4...

On floor 5, the burning in your legs and the pounding in your head forces you to abandon any pretense of quiet; however, it seems like you've already been heard, as you can hear steps coming fast up the stairwell. You only have one second to fight or flee, and both seem more impossible with every passing moment.

There's three more floors to the roof. You have plenty of ammunition, and your shield; or you can try for one last burst of energy to get to the roof.

(Whatever happens, we're getting close to the end of this... stage. What do you want to see next? The next game is definitely going to be more of a traditional RTD, probably with four player characters.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:29:14 pm by itisnotlogical »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 05:46:37 pm »

Quietly signal for her to go, and whip out our shield in preparation for a last stand martial trance. We will hold the stairway!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 05:58:35 pm »

Let me add to that.

We let her go to the roof by herself while we stay on our current floor with our shield out shooting anyone who tries to follow her rather than fight us. At the same time, call the elevator and go to the roof that way.

Remember guys, they're after the celebrity, not us. They aren't going to blow up an elevator just to get a bodyguard when they could be going after the target.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 05:21:52 pm »

(6)

You tell Ila to go up the stairs. She nods, turns....

and trips. You can't help it; you have to laugh at the comedic misfortune. All of your effort, the people you killed, demolishing the first floor and crashing the company's car.... all to waste, literally because of a single misstep.

You tumble down the stairs with Ila, doing your best to keep your heads covered. There's a sickening crunch when your right shoulder hits a step; you won't be using that arm any time soon. Thankfully, you stop when you hit the landing, but look up to see pairs of boots stepping calmly up the stairs. You check Ila's pulse--she's alive--then turn to look at the masked face of your captor.

"You're coming with us."

MISSION FAILURE

Well I... wasn't expecting the op to end that way :P but I stuck to what the dice said, assuming that various wikis are correct and 6 is a backfire/critical failure thing.

Thoughts? Suggestions for the next one? There definitely will be a sequel/continuation, along more traditional RTD lines with actual party members and wait lists and that sort of thing.

Thanks for being good sports and following along with my weird-ass hybrid SG/RTD bullshit, which was also my first actual forum game!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11