Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Pseudo-Succession Fortress, Ultra Hostile Experiment  (Read 8320 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Pseudo-Succession Fortress, Ultra Hostile Experiment
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:27:52 pm »

This Fortress is a test to see what happens when there is suicidal amount of hostility in the WorldGen, but with an equally high number of Civilizations in order to give the Dwarves a fighting chance.  This may result in a handful of visitors per year (the Civ number & population will in theory help counteract the bug which prevents armies from arriving), or it could mean multiple hundreds of units when they finally do arrive.

Since this is more experiment than anything, I won't be running this as a traditional RP Fortress.  If we run out of players, I will keep going to the best of my abilities.  Hopefully we will have conclusive results by year 10 at the latest.  Here are the relevant World settings;

History: 100 years
MegaBeast: 1000
Semi-MegaBeast: 2000
Titan: 1000
Clown: 100
Civilizations: 200
Civ Population: 20,000
Dwarven Civs available: 12 (including 3-4 with one site, presumably near extinction)

Here is our Embark-

We have Wilderness Tropical Forest, Haunted Tropical Shrubland, and Joyous Tropical Freshwater Marsh.  What's really impressive is despite 1/2 the site being a Freshwater Marsh, I still received the Saltwater warning :-\

Turn List
Immortal-D
Urlance Woolsbane
Gwolfski
De
Edmus
Xenir
DDDragoni
Camulus
TheCheeseMaker
jwoodward48df
Polyester

Year 1 Report
Year 1 Save

Year 2, Spring
Year 2, Remainder
Year 2 Save

Year 3, Report 1
Year 3, Remainder
Year 3 Save
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:32:42 pm by Immortal-D »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pseudo-Succession Fortress, Ultra Hostile Experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:27:36 pm »

Let's do it. I'm curious to see how you embark for this venture. Are there any other rules. ASCIII characters only or pop caps or no hack?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »

me is in
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:03:11 pm »

Here we go, a new "adventure" begins. How big is the world anyway?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:24:43 pm »

Standard 'Medium', 129x129 with ~1/4 being lakes.  I just finished the first year, and will have the write-up shortly.  A few highlights;

-Two WereCreatures and 6 Kobold Thieves
-Zombifying Dust weather
-Giant Animals
-First Cavern layer is apparently so pock-marked that I couldn't find a way in until I scouted chasms near the map edge.
-3 Biomes each with Shallow & Deeps, we are insanely rich.

Let's do it. I'm curious to see how you embark for this venture. Are there any other rules. ASCIII characters only or pop caps or no hack?
Not specifically.  I'm actually rather spoiled, I can't imagine playing without my graphics & plugins (Quickfort, AutoButcher, etc.) :-[  If you need to Exterminate something really out of the blue that would otherwise end the Fortress, go ahead.  The goal here is to survive at least a few years to see what kind of hostiles we can attract.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:33:17 pm by Immortal-D »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:15 pm »

Righto.  We have a very generous start: 160 Ursits of food & booze each, a pair of picks & axes, 20 of each food/booze seed, and some animals.  I realize this seems a bit over-board on the farming supplies, but I have no intention of staying outside any longer than is necessary (even by Dwarf standards).  We are now

founded by the mighty group

Here is the local view of our Embark

I immediately dig out the adjacent hilside and start tunneling.  After just a couple of minutes, I have a fairly good idea of what life is like here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dig down ~30 Z's before deciding I must have missed the first Cavern layer.  After making a few exploratory mineshafts, I strike Emerald :D  Figure this is good a sign as any, and lay out plans for the initial Fortress
Spoiler: QuickFort FTW! (click to show/hide)

Once the initial Bedrooms & Stone/Woodcrafting areas are underway, I designate a basic palisade topside.  It won't stop climbers without a roof, but will be enough to ward off the Ogres and Giant critters which occupy these lands.
The Devilish Dust gets uncomfortably close, but has not yet crossed the border of the Evil side.
You can also see here, I have walled off the top of our hill and removed adjacent ramps.  We just need a ceiling and we'll have claimed a modest piece of the surface.

Our Eagle friend hasn't scared any Dwarves recently.  I have a hunch...
Show of hands; who saw that coming?  I usher everyone inside and lock the doors.  Thankfully the new zombie flies off just a few minutes later.  No sooner do I resume construction of the palisade, this happens;

On the plus side, we have our first !SCIENCE! of this embark- If the creature a lycanthrope is based on has a poison attack, it retains that ability while transformed.  The monster transforms back and leaves so quickly that I don't even see what its' humanoid form is.

I start getting a lot of 'give water' announcements, but can't for the life of me figure where it's coming from.  The only combat report is a single page of a WereGila devouring a bobcat.  Then as if to say 'let's help you figure out that mystery'

I take a head count and notice one Dwarf missing.  Zooming over to the WereGecko gives me this;
Some peasant, through means unknown, had her entire left leg severed, and was laying at the very edge of the map.  There is no combat report related to her (prior to right now, that is).  She is from the latest wave, so it's like she just showed up and her leg fell off.  It is a mystery ???  As you can see though, she only hops a short distance before the WereGecko finishes her.  The jerk manages to kill one of our two chefs before transforming back and fleeing.

The rest of the year passes uneventfully.  Although we are mineral-rich, I have yet to uncover any mineral fuels.  Though to be fair, I haven't begun serious mining efforts either.  I mention this b/c I used most of our logs to begin construction on the ceiling and floor.  Our 2 Masons are the only Mechanics, so using Stone Blocks would have taken an age.  Thankfully we have no shortage of trees, but should start making Charcoal pretty soon, in case we have to clear-cut the entire surface.

Here is the Fortress overview for my successor;
Last thing to note; I have automated the production of Doors & Mechanisms, so you should never need to queue more of those.

Click Me!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

PTW

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 08:30:32 pm »

Sign me up, please. :)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 09:58:49 pm »

So I'm up now, right?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 10:18:18 pm »

*scratches head* Are you simply doing this by bumping the civ number up in worldgen settings, or are you actively copying and pasting duplicate entities in the entity raws? Because if its the former, I dont think it'll work; you'll only end up interacting with the closest civ of each race, not multiple civs.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:38:52 pm »

*scratches head* Are you simply doing this by bumping the civ number up in worldgen settings, or are you actively copying and pasting duplicate entities in the entity raws? Because if its the former, I dont think it'll work; you'll only end up interacting with the closest civ of each race, not multiple civs.

I think the point of adding more civs was less so that all could be interacted with, and more so that some would survive.

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:11:57 pm »

I got 10 urists says an army of like 300 pops up and immediately gets husk'd
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 08:21:33 am »

So I'm up now, right?
Yup, I'll be sending a pm to give everyone a heads up when their turn rolls around.

Right.  This is not to have multiple civs (I have mods for that), but rather to ensure at least one is close enough to the Fortress that it can reach us in a reasonable amount of time.  As I understand the no-siege bug, the problem has to do with the way entities travel on the world map.  I am also hoping that having a large Population & Site Cap will permit said Civ to send greater numbers than usual.

I think the point of adding more civs was less so that all could be interacted with, and more so that some would survive.
Also this.  I tried using a more reasonable Civ # with 1000 Titans & Megas, everybody was extinct in like 20 years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:28:52 am by Immortal-D »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:09 pm »

Here's the Spring report. It's been rather uneventful so far.

Something's up with the pathing, leading, for example, to constant "Urist McEngineer cancels load cage, needs empty cage" reports, despite the existence of empty cages.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:55:44 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »

Good stuff :)  That Artifact Door will be very useful.  I'm pretty sure I built Carpenter and extra Craftsdwarf in the Wood stockpile.  As for the Cage Traps, they might have been suspended during the the WereBeast attack.  I also floored over a part of the access shaft, so make sure Dwarves can actually reach the surface.  And yeah, I was building with the intent that we might see a scouting party by year 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6