Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset Help! (Sidebars too big)  (Read 3441 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Tileset Help! (Sidebars too big)
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:48:17 pm »

I've tried to use some tilesets for Dwarf Fortress through the LazyNewbPack, but the main problem that has caused me to stop using them is the changes the tilesets have on sidebars.

The hotkey sidebar and mini-map now take up over half the screen, leaving me with very little space to actually see the action going on in my fortress.

Any ideas on what I've done wrong? How do I fix this?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset Help! (Sidebars too big)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:25:53 pm »

You were using acii before or? Lazynewbpack for mac or for pc? Anyways there should be an option to choose text tilesets in either of those starter packs. Now there's a difference between font tileset and graphics tileset make sure you pick the correct ones for each. You'll probably want to use one of the curses font tilesets. Or if all else fails go to data\init init.txt and do this [FONT:curses_800x600.png], you may want to use a smaller one and you'll have to check if that is even in the data\art folder.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:59:27 pm »

You were using acii before or? Lazynewbpack for mac or for pc? Anyways there should be an option to choose text tilesets in either of those starter packs. Now there's a difference between font tileset and graphics tileset make sure you pick the correct ones for each. You'll probably want to use one of the curses font tilesets. Or if all else fails go to data\init init.txt and do this [FONT:curses_800x600.png], you may want to use a smaller one and you'll have to check if that is even in the data\art folder.

Before I was using ASCII, and I turned Phoebus tilesets on. I'm running Lazynewbpag for PC. I've gone into the "Customize" tab, where there's FONT and GRAPHICS_FONT options. Changing the GRAPHICS_FONT option is the only one that seems to have a visible effect.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »

Ah, you want the twbt plugin.

Text Will Be Text, which lets you grab say, a square set with furniture and tree and shrub icons, plus a rectangular set with letters, and overrides and such. GemSet makes heavy use of it, but there are numerous sets which include varying levels of support for twbt.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:39:51 pm »

Changing the font tileset will make the sidebar on the right smaller and the area the text takes up smaller. There's really not much reason too play with the mini map open that's kinda ridiculous and it isn't really detailed anyways but whatever....

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »

Does enabling true type font have any effect?  I would at least give that a try and see if it is any better.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:23 am »

Does enabling true type font have any effect?  I would at least give that a try and see if it is any better.
This can definitely help, but realize that TrueType and TWBT are incompatible with each other.  And TWBT is under active development whereas the TrueType library just limps along at whatever pace the open-source but non-DF-specific SDL library is updated.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map