Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traveling Merchant in Adventure Mode? And vampirism modding  (Read 1727 times)

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traveling Merchant in Adventure Mode? And vampirism modding
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »

Hey there folks. I'd like to know if the prices of products vary from place to place in Dwarf Fortress, so that I can buy some goods in one place and sell them in another and turn in a profit for it. If so, can someone tell me any way to figure out where something is more expensive or cheaper? (or is it only through directly going there and checking?)

Also, in an unrelated note, I really wanted to play a game where I become a vampire, take a site and make a vampiric lineage. But from what I saw you can only get vampirism by drinking vampire blood (which would need me to be killed, which isn't what I am looking for) or by being cursed by a god (which takes away the whole lineage thing entirely). Is it possible to mod in biting as a way to spread vampirism? Or any other way of doing so.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling Merchant in Adventure Mode? And vampirism modding
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »

You can probably attach it to a bite attack, let me mess with the raws for a sec.

EDIT: This should work. I just borrowed some werebeast raws and changed them to make them apply to vampirism instead;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:01:11 pm by 99Hedgehog »
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »

Wow, thanks mate! How do I put this in the raw? (I have no experience in modding) After putting it I'll test it and see how it goes!

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects, you have to make a custom interaction (create a new text file with the name "interaction_whateveryouwanttonameit") and paste all that in there.

Edit: would it work by editing the ineraction_vampirism in raw/interaction examples ?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:39:40 pm by Nico2167 »
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

The interactions in the examples folder are just that, examples. Editing them will do nothing. Copying them into the objects folder will work, although they may need cleaning up. Note that in order for custom curses and the like to appear it is recommended that you disable the default procedural ones in advanced world generation so they aren't drowned out.
Edit: Further reading suggests that spreading an interaction via an attack is impossible without all members of that species being able to do it, as it requires [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:<name of interaction>] in the attack data for that creature, which can't be modified via syndromes. I would suggest a custom interaction with a range of one and requiring intact teeth that is available to all vampires. Note that as an interaction it will be unavoidable, and not cause hostilities or wounds.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:33:56 pm by Nahere »

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »

Couldn't you just collect backpacks full of the blood of the vampire whose blood you drank to become a vampire...and then dump some in the well of every village you come across?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:56:38 am »

Just dummy the attack to a verb. "bites <target>" when it is actually just a close range or touch range interaction that applies the curse.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 02:05:07 pm »

Max has the right idea.
I have used that.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »

The interactions in the examples folder are just that, examples. Editing them will do nothing. Copying them into the objects folder will work, although they may need cleaning up. Note that in order for custom curses and the like to appear it is recommended that you disable the default procedural ones in advanced world generation so they aren't drowned out.
Edit: Further reading suggests that spreading an interaction via an attack is impossible without all members of that species being able to do it, as it requires [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:<name of interaction>] in the attack data for that creature, which can't be modified via syndromes. I would suggest a custom interaction with a range of one and requiring intact teeth that is available to all vampires. Note that as an interaction it will be unavoidable, and not cause hostilities or wounds.

You could also add a transformation interaction into a creature that can bite.
and add that interaction to the creature you transform into. That is how Implemented vampire lords in my mod and yes they do start lineages.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com