Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spreading vampirism without modding  (Read 2845 times)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spreading vampirism without modding
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:08:47 pm »

So, the thread about modding vampirism to make it possible to spread it got me thinking about how to do it without modding.

I know the villages have wells that NPC's use.

Do NPC's in Adventure mode actually drink water from the wells?  If they don't, do they drink at all? 

So....couldn't you just collect backpacks full of your own (vampiric) blood and dump it into a villages well and convert them all that way?

If NPC's drink from the wells...my adventurer has a new mission. 

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spreading vampirism without modding
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:02 am »

NPCs do not drink.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:34:07 am »

Nuts.

That being said, listening to the last debriefing Toady put out, in bars in fortress mode he says you will be able to sell your guests drinks in mead halls / taverns.  If that also actually includes them drinking, then at the very least that means the potential to vampirify any guests who stop by.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:05:02 am »

- Pint of elf blood please!
- Here ya go... (reaches for 'special' blend).
-Aar, you can't fool me Urist, leave that vampire stuff for the tourists.
-Ho ho ho. Just kidding. *curses...

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:41 am »

Lol, what would make this scenario even better would be having a werebeast hooker working in a back room, and a shady looking ex-adventurer selling Thrall powder in the bathroom.

NonverbalShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Material name: Leather
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:58 pm »

Lol, what would make this scenario even better would be having a werebeast hooker working in a back room, and a shady looking ex-adventurer selling Thrall powder in the bathroom.
Ulga the weremammoth has some money problems...
I wonder why I'm not getting any migrants at "Anusrape the Pain of Strangers"

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »

Ulga the weremammoth has some money problems...
And that aint an just any Ex-Adventurer, thats the Necromancer-Thrall-Werebeast-Ex-Adventurer-Longdead_blackheart_Coldgrave_Elfmurder_LongTitled_JimTheShouldHaveDiedEarlier.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:33:02 am »

Nuts.

That being said, listening to the last debriefing Toady put out, in bars in fortress mode he says you will be able to sell your guests drinks in mead halls / taverns.  If that also actually includes them drinking, then at the very least that means the potential to vampirify any guests who stop by.

In fortress mode.  Actually having the NPCs consume things outside of fortress mode would require the world economy to be developed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 07:15:39 am »

Nuts.

In fortress mode.  Actually having the NPCs consume things outside of fortress mode would require the world economy to be developed.
Then what do Adventure mode taverns do then? Toady seems to have spent quite a bit of time getting them done. Are they just buildings that the occasional peach-faced lovebird mercenary walks through without interacting?

Since Toady has certainly mentioned npc bar fighting in adventure mode, I imagine interactions extend to actually drinkng and showing off the new booze effects even if they're not actually paying for their drinks yet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:28:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:35 am »

Then what do Adventure mode taverns do then? Toady seems to have spent quite a bit of time getting them done. Are they just buildings that the occasional peach-faced lovebird mercenary walks through without interacting?

Since Toady has certainly mentioned npc bar fighting in adventure mode, I imagine interactions extend to actually drinkng and showing off the new booze effects even if they're not actually paying for their drinks yet.

Pretty much they are there so that when adventurers need a place to stay the adventurer can stay at them and talk with the other people there.  In order to have Adventure Mode NPCs actually consume alchohol (or have needs at all) then pretty much the basics of the world economy with specific items being made and consumed in particular amounts by individuals would have to be implemented. 

Perhaps a scripted drinking mechanic could be added in that just creates site appropriate drinks so Adventure Mode NPCs can drink them at certain intervals and get the effects but that is about it.  Judging from the dev feedback from Toady One I figure that the lack of world economic information is a major thorn in the side of the whole tavern arc. 

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 09:46:51 pm »

I also think the idea of coming across the rare village entirely populated by vampires would be an awesome addition to adventure mode.  A secluded village just far enough off the beaten path as to be hard for most people to get to, but also what would appear to be a welcome respite for travelers off the beaten path looking for a place to bed down before dark.

You could hear rumors of strange disappearances and go investigate.  Adventurers / caravans foolish enough to sleep there don't wake up, and those who arrive or stay after dark get attacked ala From Dusk Till Dawn.  During the day its just a normal idealic town.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:48:50 pm by Killgoth »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 09:58:44 pm »

So basically, according to today's FoF reply from Toady, all intelligent npcs will do everything (drink, dance, sing, fight, etc) in adventure mode taverns. But, as there's no economy, stockpiles of booze will just regenerate right now and off-screen tavern visitors won't actually drink or be affected by drink.

To conclude, Killgoth's plan might work, depending on how booze in the stockpile is selected but you'd have to hang out until everyone was infected before moving on to the next village which would probably take too long to be feasible.

Edit: Do non-historical peasants become historical figures when they change into vampires?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:04:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »

NPCs do not drink.

They do in fortress mode, so you could theoretically spread vampirism by having a fort that intentionally taints stuff with vampire blood.

And if they eat in adventure mode (not sure if they do that either; I've never seen anything other than my own adventurer eat) could you not cover their food in blood and have them eat it with the food or does that not count for anything?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »

I've had lots of npcs claiming to be heading out for a drink but they just linger around the well.

You see it most clearly when you find an exploded ice-block well and npcs out for a drink around it.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »

NPCs do not drink.

They do in fortress mode, so you could theoretically spread vampirism by having a fort that intentionally taints stuff with vampire blood.
Citizens do. Non-citizens don't, currently, hence things like the battered echidna that zombie ostriches played ball with for months, on one of my embarks.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: [1] 2