Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Pits  (Read 2774 times)

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
Dark Pits
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:03:24 pm »

I've been playing Adventure Mode a lot lately, but I'm still baffled at what the point of the Dark Pits are. In dozens of world gens of mine Dark Pits end up being clustered on the map. I know they're supposed to be "Goblin Hamlets" basically or outposts/prison areas, but every single world I've had has the Dark Pits completely empty. Just abandoned towers and lots of very annoying ditches and canyons to bypass. The inability to travel through automatically is also frustrating, moreso because they don't seem to have any point. I can find metric tons of Goblins in Dark Towers, but not a soul in the Pits. My missions to go heroically wipe out Goblin warbands there just leave me crossing empty trenches. I find more Goblins in other sites being raided by them than I do Goblins hanging around in the Dark Pits, their supposed population centers.

Are Dark Pits ever inhabited by Goblins and/or their prisoners/slaves, or are they bugged?

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Pits
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 05:45:03 am »

They're supposed to be, you're experiencing a bug I think.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:07:17 pm »

They are normally populated, and lag a lot due to large numbers of trolls underground. You might be generating something wrong; best thing I can think of is the site population limit being too low.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:09:28 pm »

I haven't seen many goblins in the trenches.  But I have seen some fortressy type stuff, with pits leading to the caverns.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:57:55 pm »

Dark pits are abandoned/destroyed by collossi from time to time, same as any other site. Check legends (or use World Viewer or something) and see if the sites you're trying to visit are actually supposed to be populated. If not there'll probably be a rational explanation for why no-one's there.

Especially amusing is the occasional abandoned pit which is inhabited by one single dwarf hermit (bonus points if he's still alive and you can actually find him).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:03:22 pm »

Yeah, in dwarf fortress there is usually a reason, you have to remember this world is simulated to minute detail. it doesnt just spawn pits, tehy were built by a group, and stuff has happened since they were built that may or may not result in them being abandoned, or very nearly abandoned. Also, goblins have a high percentage of their population as bandits, so they might just be gone doing bandit things all the time. Also goblins die alot in world gen.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 05:39:30 pm »

Yeah, in dwarf fortress there is usually a reason, you have to remember this world is simulated to minute detail. it doesnt just spawn pits, tehy were built by a group, and stuff has happened since they were built that may or may not result in them being abandoned, or very nearly abandoned. Also, goblins have a high percentage of their population as bandits, so they might just be gone doing bandit things all the time. Also goblins die alot in world gen.

In one worldgen I raised the max pop and I saw some Goblins in one of the Pits along with captured slaves, so I guess my issue's resolved. It still is random though and as you said Goblins tend to die a whole lot to everyone else.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:47 pm »

I find it funny that goblins, while immortal, still tend to die a lot due to their ethics. Kinda like another race does.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.