Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halo not-quite total conversion!  (Read 3924 times)

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Halo not-quite total conversion!
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:17 pm »

Mod is delayed by other mod ideas.
Cause I have the attention span of a five-year-old.

I've spent the last few months alternating projects, but I think that the largest one is good enough to release now. I'll update it rather often, but it's already playable and, if I may say so myself, rather enjoyable. It's also my first released mod, and I'm rather new to the forums, so advice, criticism and such are welcomed.

Features-
Every sentient race from the Halo universe (with the exception of the Yonhet, whom I despise)
Civilizations for the Sangheili, Unggoy, Kig Yar, Jiralhanae, San Shyuum and Yanme'e
Custom languages for the Sangheili, Kig yar and Jiralhanae (Others use a basic version of Sangheili)
A few custom weapons
Custom foods
A few non-sentient races (Colo, Doarmir, Zap-jellies and Helioskrills I can think of)
Irukan (Only alien plant I can find)
A wordpad that I wrote my notes in. It's not very intelligent, but I thought I'd include it anyways.

Unfinished features-
Covenium and Plasma (Available in the Arena, but not naturally spawning)
Forerunners (A creature, but no civ)
Flood (Ran into caste issues, then some crash-based issues. On the back-burner)

Planned features-
More smells! (The books are VERY descriptive when it comes to smells.)
Vehicle creatures (Not sure how designate what civs use what without using evil/good biomes.)
Lots and lots of firearms (I've got an MA-5B and plasma pistol in, but I'd like to add every gun from the games eventually. Not good with ranged weapons, though)

As I think of more ideas for this mod I'll add them to the list. Not sure how much work it'll take to move it over to the new version, but I thought I may as well release it so far. Once again, feel free to give advice on how to fix some things or make other things work a bit better. I'll need it. Hope ya enjoy, and hope this doesn't end horribly for me.

Download link-
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11252
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:48:01 pm by ThatZommy »
Er, atleast I think that's right.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Halo not-quite total conversion!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:41:31 pm »

Vehicle creatures (Not sure how designate what civs use what without using evil/good biomes.)

Somewhere there is a DFHack script that allows you to add specific creatures to specific entities, never used it myself.

If you want to change the way industries work (for example a machine shop instead of a forge) I have a DFHack script that allows you to disable hardcoded workshops (and other hardcoded buildings). My First Landing mod makes extensive use of this script.

Speaking of First Landing, take a look at it, there are a lot of techniques I used to make things seem less like fantasy and more sci-fi that you may find helpful (provided you don't have something against DFHack of course).

Making a total conversion is a lot of work, but very rewarding :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:24:01 pm »

Somewhere there is a DFHack script that allows you to add specific creatures to specific entities, never used it myself.

If you want to change the way industries work (for example a machine shop instead of a forge) I have a DFHack script that allows you to disable hardcoded workshops (and other hardcoded buildings). My First Landing mod makes extensive use of this script.

Speaking of First Landing, take a look at it, there are a lot of techniques I used to make things seem less like fantasy and more sci-fi that you may find helpful (provided you don't have something against DFHack of course).

Making a total conversion is a lot of work, but very rewarding :)

I actually don't use DFhack, but I did notice your mod, and it looks quite good. I might just have San Shyuum live in a good biome, giving them Covenant vehicles immediately, and then use "It's post-war" as an excuse to have the other races all use Human vehicles. Not sure, though. I'm also not sure how flying domestic animals work.

I also wonder if domestic vehicles could be capable of speech. I doubt it, but I'm not sure.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 03:30:09 pm »

If you don't use DFHack then what is possible will be very limited. DFHack has it's own set of headaches, but it vastly increases what is possible in DF modding.

Flying domestics are a pain in some ways, they tend to get stuck in trees, not sure about speech. I have never actually played Halo, so I can't really be much help...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:19 pm »

This looks awesome, thanks for making it.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:59:18 pm »

This looks awesome, thanks for making it.

No problem, I don't have anything else to do during the day.
A bit sidetracked by an extended-fantasy mod, but once I fix a little issue I'll get back to working on this.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:27:16 am »

Cool stuff. I mean, I probably won't play it, but still cool.  ;)

If there's one criticism I would make, I'd prefer the halo raws to be separated from the default raws (as much as possible). Right now you've lumped them all together in the same files, which may be tricky if some of us want a more customized install.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 11:37:21 am »

Cool stuff. I mean, I probably won't play it, but still cool.  ;)

If there's one criticism I would make, I'd prefer the halo raws to be separated from the default raws (as much as possible). Right now you've lumped them all together in the same files, which may be tricky if some of us want a more customized install.

That makes sense, I'll try to remember where I put everything and move them into custom files.
I also realized that now people can like the color Sometimes Sinks. Same thing happened in a zombie mod I attempted. Lots of people like the color Rotting Flesh. So that's fun.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:26:30 am »

Hey! Is the mod author still alive?

I made a little edit of my own to the sound files that makes it all feel a bit more 'Halo'

Dropbox link

Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:52:14 am »

Hey! Is the mod author still alive?

I made a little edit of my own to the sound files that makes it all feel a bit more 'Halo'

Dropbox link
Yeah, I'm still workin on it. Well, sorta. Bit sidetracked by a couple of other ones, but I'm planning the next update.
I'll check that out in a bit, but it sounds awesome.