Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Water - Can I Keep Injured Dwarves Alive?  (Read 2655 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
No Water - Can I Keep Injured Dwarves Alive?
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:51:35 pm »

I'm on an embark where the only water is what might turn up in a muddy pool in a few months. Checked the caverns, nothing there. Are my dwarves in hospital definitely going to die or is there a way to keep them alive?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: No Water - Can I Keep Injured Dwarves Alive?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:41 pm »

If there's a source for water, such as ice, then you could possibly melt it in a convoluted way to get water... But shy that, you may be down a few dwarves as no one will give them alcohol to drink when they are injured.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:08 pm »

Have you made sure to check all the caverns don't have water, if that really is the case, then yes, the injured dwarves are doomed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »

Unless they're released from the hospital before they die of thirst, of course.  If they're not in traction or you don't have a ton of injured dwarves / particularly lazy doctors then that's not too unlikely.  Just make sure you have all of the doctor labors turned on for someone.  I once had someone languish in the hospital for 6 months because I forgot to turn bone setting on for my doctor...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:05 pm »

Could you just get rid of the hospital and deconstruct any beds they are in?

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:32:43 am »

If the injuries are not to severe then you can simply unzone the hospital and zone it again when your injured dwarfs have a drink.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:37:20 am »

If I recall any cavern with cave trees and plants has water, at least one tile worth. Caverns that are completely without water will have nothing at all growing in them, just bare mud. So unless your caverns are totally bare of plant life there is water out there somewhere, you might just have to go giant cave spider baiting spelunking to find it. Good luck.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 05:33:19 am »

Caverns can be completely free of water sources and yet have trees and herbs.

Setting the hospital area to inactive should release those in the hospital, but you may have to deconstruct traction benches to release those hooked up to those.
I had a completely water free embark where I was able to use the method above to save the dorfs. It took a long time to get one of the seriously hurt dorfs back into working condition, though, with multiple traction sessions.

I would definitely try to harvest the muddy pool water when it appears, and send the water through a screw pump for purification. This is the longer term path of course. I'd install a retracting drawbridge at the bottom of each pool (during the dry season) to provide a drain to a contaminated water reservoir, and then have a screw pump to purify that water into a well.

It's been reported that dorfs who cannot grasp still get hold of a cup and then dehydrates on top of barrels because they're unable to use the cup to drink.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:47:45 am »

I guess they're probably doomed. On the bright side, I needed to set up coffin production soon anyway.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.