Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?  (Read 39738 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 04:04:24 pm »

Combat mechanics are those of a mount.
???
Babies are treated as mounting the mother in combat.  That includes not being the primary target unless the mother is distracted.

I'd like to reiterate that my understanding was that they carried the baby. Part of this is that dwarven mothers at least used to occasionally block using the baby. This is why using females for military was not recommended (besides that a fact that even if the baby doesn't die from being used as a shield, if the mother dies, the baby would starve to death more often than not).

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 04:29:04 pm »

That said, I thought about this, and here's what we'd need to figure out:

• Do werebeasts regrow their family jewels on the night of the full moon?
  • If so, do they retain them once they revert back?
  • Will werebeasts of the same type mate with each other on the night of the full moon?
  • If so, would they still mate with each other on the night of the full moon if they would not mate in their default forms due to personality incompatibility/lack of marriage?
  • If 2 werebeasts have pre-existing relationships with other people, will that prevent mating?
  • Will 2 werebeasts mate with each other if they are of different base species?
  • Do werebeasts of different types (ie; wereiguana with werecrocodile) mate on the full moon?
  • If any of the previously mentioned factors do not inhibit full moon mating, will any combination of them inhibit it?
  • Do children conceived during werebeast mode count towards fulfilling the "raising a family" dream for the mother and/or father?
  • Even when the parents would never have gotten freaky with each other in their normal forms?

The short version of it is that the werebeast transformation will fully heal a creature, so they'd become un-gelded after they turn back into a dwarf the same as if they'd lost an arm or a toe. Werebeasts are also sterile in werebeast form (and try to kill anything that moves), so no mating will go on there in any case. Romantic ties will not be formed between creatures of different species.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »

Armok requires anvils to make anvils.

This.
What, you think he should have made the gift of the anvil free for all, even those slimy elves?

Treason, I say.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »

You're welcome to check the inventory of the female next time you play then, and tell us the results.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 05:20:54 pm »

You're welcome to check the inventory of the female next time you play then, and tell us the results.

Look, I've tried to be diplomatic. I mentioned that it was my understanding (=I don't claim to have perfect understanding) that they carried them, and provided an example (blocking with babies) on why I thought this way. I also remember some old stories that say that female melee squad members won't equip shields if they're carrying a baby etc... not that shields technically need a free hand. Now I'll admit that the baby doesn't show up in the mother's inventory, so it's not exactly like carrying an item, but hey, the dwarven inventory code probably wouldn't have allowed that directly anyway, without a workaround of some degree.

You've mainly kept stonewalling me by repeating various relatively terse variations of the first sentence in the quote below. The 2nd sentence of the quote below being the only exposition on what this means or where this is deduced from.
Babies are treated as mounting the mother in combat.  That includes not being the primary target unless the mother is distracted.

Now, I'm not really that interested in continuing this argument/discussion any further (keeping in mind that just repeating the same statement without providing any justifications doesn't really qualify as either), so I guess I'll just sum this up by pointing out that I have now mentioned a couple of examples of item/shield-ish behaviour occurring, and you've presented one example of rider-type behaviour. Unless one or the other is proved to be false, my best guess for now is that babies are a special case which has elements of both. It does seem like the kind of thing that would warrant a special case, although carrying wounded dwarves, or in the next release probably also other fortress citizens, might well use the some or all of the same code as babies.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 05:22:14 pm »

Hard to argue with blatent results.

We could also mod in armless females and see if they can pick up/carry their kids.  Its worth noting they arent born on the female, and must be picked up, which is seperate from carrying them around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:23:58 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »

Sorry to rerail, but who caaaares?

This thread should be concentrated evil.

Another cruel act: Armok kept a single dwarf alive in the FB attack on my last fort, as he was squirreled away making an artifact in the tanner's shop as the closer workshops and panic rooms burned. The giant, bloated fire-breathing monkey with external ribs and antennae got into the panic room and killed everyone there, but then retired to lurk in the graveyard one level above the caverns it came from. The survivor was left in a fort, supplied with years of food and vast stocks of precious metal and miscellanous supplies, as misama and smoke drenched the air and the ghosts of his friends and family, whose bodies littered the floors, began to rise.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »

Armok Granted science to the dwarves.  And thats a pretty big sin.
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 06:51:16 pm »

Werebeasts of different types will attack each other, so no dice on different kinds of werebeasts having a kid. Also, transformations may cancel pregnancies, but don't take my word for it.

Just in case you need it, have some werebeast raws.

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Interactions (click to show/hide)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 12:57:30 am »

Look, I've tried to be diplomatic. I mentioned that it was my understanding (=I don't claim to have perfect understanding) that they carried them, and provided an example (blocking with babies) on why I thought this way. I also remember some old stories that say that female melee squad members won't equip shields if they're carrying a baby etc... not that shields technically need a free hand. Now I'll admit that the baby doesn't show up in the mother's inventory, so it's not exactly like carrying an item, but hey, the dwarven inventory code probably wouldn't have allowed that directly anyway, without a workaround of some degree.

You've mainly kept stonewalling me by repeating various relatively terse variations of the first sentence in the quote below. The 2nd sentence of the quote below being the only exposition on what this means or where this is deduced from.

Now, I'm not really that interested in continuing this argument/discussion any further (keeping in mind that just repeating the same statement without providing any justifications doesn't really qualify as either), so I guess I'll just sum this up by pointing out that I have now mentioned a couple of examples of item/shield-ish behaviour occurring, and you've presented one example of rider-type behaviour. Unless one or the other is proved to be false, my best guess for now is that babies are a special case which has elements of both. It does seem like the kind of thing that would warrant a special case, although carrying wounded dwarves, or in the next release probably also other fortress citizens, might well use the some or all of the same code as babies.

I don't think anything that pisskop wrote was intended to be inflammatory, his posts were civil as well. I mean, you only even wrote two posts before this rant (unless you deleted some), so this might be a slight overreaction... Regardless, it should be simple to figure out the answer.

Anyway, the cruelest act of Armok I've ever witnessed was thus: A Forgotten Beast made of some type of metal or other hard material (...chitin?) attacked my fortress from the caverns. I sent my heavy infantry to do battle, not realizing this FB was nearly indestructible. My militia at the time had 8 "hardened warriors" and my legendary speardwarf captain, Ulysses, with 95 kills. Well, wouldn't you know it, the 8 militiamen die almost immediately, but Ulysses was a legendary dodger and was able to survive.
He fought the mighty foe for multiple months, eventually slaying it, losing fingers, teeth, and an ear in the process. After the battle, a lowly peasant begins dragging Ulysses, badly injured and bleeding out, to the hospital. This too took almost a month, because he was originally in the caverns and my hospital is in a tower on the surface. I desperately needed to keep this dwarf alive to prevent a tantrum spiral (plus he is my only military dorf at this point). I ensured the hospital would be stocked when he got there, I turned off all other labors on my Chief Medical Dwarf, and I made 2 dwarves into "nurses" (turned off all labor other than patient care). So, after months of agonizing over his well-being, the peasant finally arrives at the hospital with Ulysses in tow.
Ulysses promptly dies of thirst.

Edit: Another similar tragedy. A titan attacks my fort from the surface, and I turn on the emergency burrow. I always lure one dwarf into the lever room and lock the door, so that they can pull the lever to the front gate as soon as all my surface dwarfs are inside. I trap Urist 1 in the lever room and wait for Urist 2 to make it back inside my fort. Urist 2 is being closely pursued by the titan, but has enough of a head start that I am confident he can make it in time.
Hooray! Urist 2 makes it over the drawbridge just in time. Time to pull the lever! Oh wait, the game paused, that means its autosaving...Spring has arrived!
Upon unpausing, I get the message: "Urist 1 has died of old age"... The same Urist 1 that was supposed to pull the lever...
The titan spared no one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:22:10 am by Chief10 »

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 03:01:30 am »

The cruelest act of Armok is probably me being able to play Dwarf Fortress.
This is great.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:35 am »

Another similar tragedy. A titan attacks my fort from the surface, and I turn on the emergency burrow. I always lure one dwarf into the lever room and lock the door, so that they can pull the lever to the front gate as soon as all my surface dwarfs are inside. I trap Urist 1 in the lever room and wait for Urist 2 to make it back inside my fort. Urist 2 is being closely pursued by the titan, but has enough of a head start that I am confident he can make it in time.
Hooray! Urist 2 makes it over the drawbridge just in time. Time to pull the lever! Oh wait, the game paused, that means its autosaving...Spring has arrived!
Upon unpausing, I get the message: "Urist 1 has died of old age"... The same Urist 1 that was supposed to pull the lever...
The titan spared no one.
...that is kind of amazingly terrible.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 10:37:50 am »

Another similar tragedy. A titan attacks my fort from the surface, and I turn on the emergency burrow. I always lure one dwarf into the lever room and lock the door, so that they can pull the lever to the front gate as soon as all my surface dwarfs are inside. I trap Urist 1 in the lever room and wait for Urist 2 to make it back inside my fort. Urist 2 is being closely pursued by the titan, but has enough of a head start that I am confident he can make it in time.
The titan spared no one.
...that is kind of amazingly terrible.
...seriously.

Cruelest act: Creating tantrum spirals in 0.34. Those things got bloody. (And tough decisions, as an overseer...I remember dumping most of my population into the magma sea once through a sacrificial temple meant for garbage/goblin disposal, to save the children and a couple okay-ish dwarves from everyone else.)

Something also happened in my fort yesterday. My dwarves were overjoyed at having finally pierced the aquifer in a more convenient spot (nullifying 200+ tiles of extra hauling distance with no minecarts along that stretch), which opened the possibility of expanding the fort (more like creating a new fort) into a pocket of rock that I'd been eyeing for a dwarf-decade. The fort's population is 20, with one stray cat, in an evil biome, where waves of migrants were routinely slaughtered by a husked miner (pickaxe in hand). About half of the starting 7 are dead, and a proportionate amount of the dwarves who were once successfully living in this dismal barony by the sea; there are very few couples or even friends (there's been constant work, with no amenities like dining halls or even bedrooms, even after 11 years), and everyone's clothes are in tatters. There are two children in this fort. Simultaneously, the merchants arrived, the aquifer re-pierce was commenced, and one of the fort's children, close to adulthood, claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop. He was forgotten amidst the other excitement, and he who surely gave the fort's population some small hope for the future, at a time when spirits were at a rare high, has gone stark raving mad. We had to make a tomb for him.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 04:51:02 pm »

Cruelest thing I've done is probably flinging dwarves that I don't care about off of a drawbridge to train my medical team. There was also a time when one of my farmers fell down a hole and landed about 15 levels down, breaking his ribs and many limbs. I didn't have a hospital at the time, so I kinda just let him lay there for months. Some dwarf started a party in a statue garden, and to my surprise the farmer went to the party after not having moved for months, wandered around the fort for a few days, and went back to the bottom of the hole and let himself die. He wasn't even depressed or insane, he was just too stupid to live I think.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:54:01 pm by SirAero8 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »

One of the first things I thought of when I saw the picture was, "I wonder if a violent ghost attacked him?"

That amused me briefly, but I'm pretty sure that their body part ripping fun won't cause this.  It has to be a physical body part to rip off, and I'm pretty sure gelding only happens randomly on lower body injuries, which is a completely different mechanism.

That and there's no thought about being attacked by a ghost.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7