Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?  (Read 39710 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 10:05:25 pm »

Armok knows how to reaninate headless bodies with its soul intact, but doesnt alloww resurrection secrets

That reminds me.  I thought I remembered a hack that basically brought a corpse back to life.  Not a zombie, just back to life.  Was that part of DFHack, and if so, how do I do it?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

One of my first forts featured a cave-in made of sand in the entryway of the fort.

In the corridor were 6-10 dwarves and one turkey. The turkey was in between the dwarves and the massive shockwave of sand. This turkey heroically took the brunt of it, resulting in only one dwarf with minor injuries. The turkey ended up ripped open with every bone in its body broken, and also it's beak was gone.

Just to make sure its clear, its beak was literally sand-blasted from its face.

The turkey fell to the ground where it stood, going in and out of consciousness in a main corridor. It died three months later, drowned in a pool of its own blood while dwarves hurried back and forth on their errands of food and parties. It's body was never even thrown in the trash.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »

One of my first forts featured a cave-in made of sand in the entryway of the fort.

In the corridor were 6-10 dwarves and one turkey. The turkey was in between the dwarves and the massive shockwave of sand. This turkey heroically took the brunt of it, resulting in only one dwarf with minor injuries. The turkey ended up ripped open with every bone in its body broken, and also it's beak was gone.

Just to make sure its clear, its beak was literally sand-blasted from its face.

The turkey fell to the ground where it stood, going in and out of consciousness in a main corridor. It died three months later, drowned in a pool of its own blood while dwarves hurried back and forth on their errands of food and parties. It's body was never even thrown in the trash.
It's times like this where I wish animal healthcare was a thing for Dwarf Fortress. Can you imagine the horrific amalgamation of turkey flesh, thread, and splints that would be the result of fixing that turkey up?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:08 pm »

Back when I was taking down the scaffolding on the Hell Bastion, my stupid hell workers would often fall several z-levels and splat themselves on the ground. I used to save and savescum often because I had grown attached to my hell workers, so I only had three deaths and many, many broken bones.

I remember one hell worker who fell, broke both legs and one arm, got fixed up, fell again, broke every unbroken bone, got fixed up, and just hung out in the hell workers' quarters for a while because he had no operable limbs. He eventually made a full recovery.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 01:26:02 pm »

Armok requires anvils to make anvils.
In time, we will no longer have workshops but instead small zones with labors assigned to them. When that time comes, not only will you require an anvil to make an anvil, but you will require a table to make a table! Craftsdwarfs, jewelers, and some other professions I can't think of off the top of my head may not only require tables but also complain if you don't give them chairs! And that is to say nothing of the tools you will require to make anything, most of which will be made of metal and thus require an anvil! But hey, look on the bright side: at least it's possible to make wooden furniture without using nails or screws!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

That's because they cut it from one piece of wood :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »

That's because they polish it from one piece of wood :P With their beards.
FTFY. Armok is cruel.
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »

That's because they cut it from one piece of wood :P
I suppose that's possible given that the volume of a log is 5000 and the average piece of furniture have a volume of 3000 (but seriously, you can make wooden furniture without nails or screws, nobody does it anymore because nails and screws are ubiquitous now). Funny thing I found while looking at volumes, though: a statue has a volume of 6000. The statue and every other piece of furniture require 3 bars of metal to make....and bars have a volume of 600.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »

Maybe that's uh... the added weight of Armok's approval?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 03:33:19 pm »

Volume. The statues are hollow for the creatures they trap inside.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »

Armok knows how to reaninate headless bodies with its soul intact, but doesnt alloww resurrection secrets

That reminds me.  I thought I remembered a hack that basically brought a corpse back to life.  Not a zombie, just back to life.  Was that part of DFHack, and if so, how do I do it?

Ill pm you the raw version.  I try my hardest not o play with dfhack
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 01:05:33 pm »

Volume. The statues are hollow for the creatures they trap inside.
A fascinating theory, but my experience with platinum statues suggests otherwise.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2015, 11:58:33 am »

I thew a warthog by the ear, moved a space, and was promptly brained by the air-borne animal.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

putweh
thincake

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:11 pm »

In one of my forts I created grand dining hall. It consisted of 4z levels high room with balconies with tables on the walls. In the middle there was a waterfall, with outflow at the floor. While I was removing the floor tiles on the last level, I by accident caused cave-in. The cloud of dust pushed the miner down and he fell exactly into the 12z levels deep outflow. Amazingly, despite having almost every body part "mangled beyond recognition" and painting all surrounding walls with blood he survived (!), got carried to the hospital (!), didn't die of infection (!) got treated and came back to work after a year or so. He was also one of the starting seven.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7