Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?  (Read 39601 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:49:38 pm »

As a result of a construction accident , my mayor ended up in one of my cage traps. After freeing him, I checked him for injuries, and......well.......before you ask, no, I don't have the combat reports.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now to be fair, after he became mayor, he basically stopped interacting with people outside of his job and just hung out in his little mayor house all day, never going to parties or meeting halls for any reason, so he was never going to achieve his dream, but still.

So, yeah.

Top that one, I dare you.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Cruelest Act Of Armok You've Seen?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
Topped.
and this was YEARS before 2014
Also http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114255.0
"SHE KILLED HER DAUGHTER AND TURNED HER INTO A PICK. A GODDAMN PICK. WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:14:43 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »

A 13 year old girl made an artifact panda bone warhammer while her father was being murdered by a panda. It was the only weapon in the fort. We killed the panda with it.
Everyone important but the killer died of werehorse. The girl and all her family. The hammer killed the horse.

When will the killing end?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:35:16 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »

...PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »

As a result of a construction accident , my mayor ended up in one of my cage traps. After freeing him, I checked him for injuries, and......well.......before you ask, no, I don't have the combat reports.
Now to be fair, after he became mayor, he basically stopped interacting with people outside of his job and just hung out in his little mayor house all day, never going to parties or meeting halls for any reason, so he was never going to achieve his dream, but still.

So, yeah.

Top that one, I dare you.
Fascinating.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:14:23 pm »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 07:51:09 pm »

I've played a horror story.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:15 pm »

Can we please restrict this to an unmodded game? Just trying to make sure things don't go too far, what with some of the mods out there.

EDIT: I'm not saying that in response to anyone, just in response to...past events. Don't bother asking about them.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

Note that while dorfs are a mildly modded version of dwarfs (which use the improved material properties template for dragons I've got) that is actually possible simply from using the ghostly script after dying with your guts out.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:57:55 pm »

I was playing an above-ground fort, and my smelter/forge was under a wooden shed roof adjoining the smith's house. This was some years into the fort, so the smelter was full of bars and the smith was pretty highly skilled.
I had decided to move the skilled artisans (including the smith) to better quarters, so I ordered the old house deconstructed - starting with the shed roof. Foolishly I designated the entire roof for deconstruction at the same time, with the result that my dwarves left one tile suspended in the empty air. Which, of course, didn't remain suspended for long: the oaken planks came crashing down directly on top of the smelter, destroying it and sending all its contents flying, including a bar of lead that struck my great smith in the head and killed him instantly.

Not as gruesome as these other tales, but the sheer unlikelyhood of the event took me aback.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:17:23 pm »

I was playing an above-ground fort, and my smelter/forge was under a wooden shed roof adjoining the smith's house. This was some years into the fort, so the smelter was full of bars and the smith was pretty highly skilled.
I had decided to move the skilled artisans (including the smith) to better quarters, so I ordered the old house deconstructed - starting with the shed roof. Foolishly I designated the entire roof for deconstruction at the same time, with the result that my dwarves left one tile suspended in the empty air. Which, of course, didn't remain suspended for long: the oaken planks came crashing down directly on top of the smelter, destroying it and sending all its contents flying, including a bar of lead that struck my great smith in the head and killed him instantly.

Not as gruesome as these other tales, but the sheer unlikelyhood of the event took me aback.

Oh bloodgod I had that happen when I was trying to dfhack a big cubic volcano into existence, my dorfs were getting sludged on by the awful glacier so I tried to put a section of obsidian floor over them to shelter them until they finished the block wall/floors over the wagon.

Apparently it didn't connect right because upon unpausing I get "Something has collapsed on the surface!" and... well...

I woke the girlfriend up laughing about it.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:21:49 pm »

Yeah, flying/falling objects are the worst. At one point, I was working on improving my central staircase and needed to remove the stairs. I have them in a 3x3 square, so I remove and replace them in a checkerboard pattern. Whenever a set drops as stone, it falls down the shaft, knocking somebody down the rest of the stairs to the bottom main level (which has hatches set up to restrict further passage), which is where the hospital is. Of course, nobody ever bothers to come and carry them the 20 steps inside before they bleed to death.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:27:11 pm »

There have been several incidents where a construction accident or unintended cave-in has inflicted horrific injuries on dwarfs, for me and no doubt for everyone else, but the mayor's injury stood out to me because, as the gelding of an unwed male with dreams of having a family is an injury that made a dream that could possibly come true absolutely impossible, and in my understanding it is the only such non-fatal circumstance. Even a quadriplegic dwarf could fall in love, start a family, and could be put in a workshop and have materials hauled to him by others (though it would be complicated to set up) if he wished to master a skill; even if he were blind on top of all of that, he could not be denied the dream of creating a masterwork or great work of art, because the fact that he has not fulfilled his dream means that he has not yet entered a strange mood and thus he still has a chance, however slim. But an unwed man with no lover having kids after he was gelded in a world where extramarital sex is physically impossible in his species? Nope, not happening.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »

Well, he could become a werebeast, which might make spousing... complex... at worst.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 06:52:43 am »

Well, he could become a werebeast, which might make spousing... complex... at worst.

This has the potential to create a great story. It needs to be tried.

...and it needs to be done for the sake of SCIENCE as well. Do we know if werebeasts pair up? What about with other werebeasts? What kind of kids do they have? What if they are not the same kind of werebeast?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7