Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i need help trying to run lcs on android dosbox  (Read 1272 times)

cleon456

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
i need help trying to run lcs on android dosbox
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »

Have tried numerous times trying to run it on dosbox turbo to no avail, i know there is an android port but its really outdated and really buggy as well and i can't really play it on my computer because of work so unless someone can try and update the android port, i would love it if someone helped me play it on my android

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i need help trying to run lcs on android dosbox
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »

LCS is a WIN32 programe and won't run directly under DOS. You have two options :
* Download the sourcecode and compile it for DOS  (good abandonedware compilers are Turbo-C for real-mode or Watcom-C for protected mode)
* Use the Windows-emulator Wine

If you compile it for DOS, there are three things to remember:
* LCS uses Curses as video driver. To make that work, you can try to get curses for DOS or write wrappers for Borland's conio.h. Further you can write directly into the video memory, if everything fails.
* LCS has no hard limits for items and creatures. To avoid running out of memory in real mode you must set hard limits, or check the free memory with coreleft() before creating new objects.
* some places asume int is 32 bit (like long), but in real-mode, int is 16 bit (like short)

If you have a C++ compiler for Android, you can even try to compile a proper Android version. I have no experience with cellphones, but the biggest problem is probably getting it running without a keyboard. Compilers for Cellphones most likely have library-functions for a virtual keyboard, so a quick and dirty approach might be possible. For a good solution like a gui that displays only possible keys, you will have a lot of work to do. You should probably try to merge the interface functions of the old android version, with the current engine.

cleon456

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: i need help trying to run lcs on android dosbox
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:21:26 pm »

LCS is a WIN32 programe and won't run directly under DOS. You have two options :
* Download the sourcecode and compile it for DOS  (good abandonedware compilers are Turbo-C for real-mode or Watcom-C for protected mode)
* Use the Windows-emulator Wine

If you compile it for DOS, there are three things to remember:
* LCS uses Curses as video driver. To make that work, you can try to get curses for DOS or write wrappers for Borland's conio.h. Further you can write directly into the video memory, if everything fails.
* LCS has no hard limits for items and creatures. To avoid running out of memory in real mode you must set hard limits, or check the free memory with coreleft() before creating new objects.
* some places asume int is 32 bit (like long), but in real-mode, int is 16 bit (like short)

If you have a C++ compiler for Android, you can even try to compile a proper Android version. I have no experience with cellphones, but the biggest problem is probably getting it running without a keyboard. Compilers for Cellphones most likely have library-functions for a virtual keyboard, so a quick and dirty approach might be possible. For a good solution like a gui that displays only possible keys, you will have a lot of work to do. You should probably try to merge the interface functions of the old android version, with the current engine.

I'll try it when i have the time