Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena Mode z-levels  (Read 872 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena Mode z-levels
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:23:14 am »

In my fortress I constructed a 15z level tower with a platinum floor. As corpses seem to take an eternity to decay into bones, and my dorfs are a little chary about butchering the various trolls and troglodytes that wander into my cavern traps, i sought to expedite the matter with a long drop and an explosive stop. However, 15 levels onto platinum doesn't seem enough to explode trolls and trogs. Therefore, I took to arena mode to do some !!SCIENCE!! on how high a fall needs to be to explode various sentient creatures, but the 9 z levels available in the arena do not give me sufficient range. Is it possible to alter the raws to get a object testing arena with more z levels of sky?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Mode z-levels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:16:50 am »

nope, the dimensions of the arena are hardcoded
you can, however, edit arena.txt to change it's layout
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:41:10 am »

You can futz around with raws and such a bit before your next fort. Give dwarves [SPEED:0] and everything is lightning-fast.

Also, from my experiences building a Happy Fun Death Pit into all of my forts' entrances, 30z is enough to explode most things. I haven't noticed if it's enough to explode trolls or trogs, but I also don't care about butchering them. And I leave the floor untouched except for smoothing. How much of a difference does platinum flooring actually make?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »

You can futz around with raws and such a bit before your next fort. Give dwarves [SPEED:0] and everything is lightning-fast.

Also, from my experiences building a Happy Fun Death Pit into all of my forts' entrances, 30z is enough to explode most things. I haven't noticed if it's enough to explode trolls or trogs, but I also don't care about butchering them. And I leave the floor untouched except for smoothing. How much of a difference does platinum flooring actually make?
[SPEED:0] doesn't exist anymore.
However you could still change    [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
to    [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:1:1:1:1:1:1] 30 kph which is just about the same thing, I just don't know if gaits can have a speed of 0. It also doesn't speed up working time just moving time.

About platinum flooring, from what I've heard the density of the floor affects falling damage. Because it's kind of like they're being hit with blunt damage from the floor, and weight is the most important attribute for blunt damage. Slade floors would probably be best, but obviously that's limited in accessibility so platinum is the best after that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:40:23 pm »

You could start a new fort and DFHack it up for quick testing

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:43:48 pm »

I have a pit that goes into the back of the barracks/training area.
The limping creatures then give live training for my soldiers.
spikes/spear traps below the pit are optional.