Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40.24] Persisting crashes.  (Read 2768 times)

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40.24] Persisting crashes.
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:33:53 am »

Ive had this problem for probably since this release atleast, although my memory isnt that great, first i thought it might have been a lazy newb pack thing but now im not to sure,
dont really see any pathern to it, sometimes i can play a years time sometimes its kind of brief. maby its connected to the goblins ether way its quite annoying, the game just crashes.
when using seasonal saves i can sometimes play longer but it always eventually crashes. i dont have anything but basic lazy newb pack, and only run dwarf therapist.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: [40.24] Persisting crashes.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:34 am »

chances are, these are all caused by unrelated crashbugs.
yes, this game crashes sometimes. keep backups and just revert to those.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:20 am »

i guess ive been lucky over the years and never had crashes before this release.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »

There's a well-known crash that is triggered by building on a tree tile (leaves, twigs, and such). It can kind of sneak up on you too if the tree decides to grow into the direction of your construction.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:12:48 am »

I suspect that non-goblin sieges may cause crashing in v40.  I know of no way to confirm, but I've tried hard to provoke war and never gotten any human, elf or mod-race sieges, but lots of crashing.  After retiring the crashy fortresses, the sites were immediately overrun by human sieges. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »

ive been aware of the tree crashes for a while and ive never had trouble with it as faar as i know so i think its the goblins that crash it most likely.
it really sucks, because if theres one thing that can make me loose interrest and get disheartened its forced to redo steps youve already done.
im gonna try and force myself trough it for a while, because my last fortress has had some hilarius "FUN" that ive never had before.

Edit: ended up not lasting to long, my fort died of natural causes, aka undead army.
Aparently undead have no urists to give and will just drop down or maby climb down cliffs.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:20:15 pm by zeves »

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:04:25 pm »

I've been having persistent crashing issues lately and I dont know why.  Its always has been rather stable, like 1 or 2 crashes / 10hrs.

But on this last release newb pack R19 if I have to crash once, its done for I cannot get any further.

Its the 3rd world that I create and it doesn't do any good.

Is there a way to start from scratch?

pertanic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:57 pm »

You may be running into the workflow bug in dfhack 0.40.24-r4. https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/issues/741 Note that it's not enough to just disable the workflow plugin. It can actually corrupt the saved state so it has to have never been used on a given world to avoid this bug. Alternatively install dfhack 0.40.24-r5 as it has added a fix, but twbt isn't available yet so you'd have to switch the rendering mode back to standard or 2d.