Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I continued playing with fire today...  (Read 2551 times)

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I continued playing with fire today...
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:37:00 am »

quote:
The fire burns the grass now, though it spreads a bit too slowly. I set my adventurer to sleep about ten squares from the flames, and I woke up in the middle of the night when my exposed face started to become frostbitten from the cold. So I went near to the fire to warm up, which worked, until it spread to me and set my clothes ablaze.  

...sweet!  Now when I attack a ruins I can have burning skeletons attack me and set me on fire.  Another glorious death for Mini-Zen

P.S. Stop, Drop and Roll, Toady!!!

[ December 04, 2006: Message edited by: Zengief ]

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I continued playing with fire today...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zengief:
<STRONG>
P.S. Stop, Drop and Roll, Toady!!!
</STRONG>

So I wonder if crawling will be used to smother burning clothing? We'll need some way to get rid of the fires other than throwing our flaming loincloths at our enemies.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »

With fires being able to spread around dragons are going to be ten times deadlier. Maybe instead of a dragon appearing every now and then, they should just drop a thermonuclear warhead on your fortress, it would save quite a bit of time.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

Not necessarily.  Normal fire shouldn't burn its way across water or bare stone.  So as long as the Dragon is on the far side of the outdoor river, the wildfire shouldn't be able to cross the river.  Even a wide stone road might stop it.  As long as you don't build wooden bridges and roads, a wildfire shouldn't be able to consume the whole map.  

If the whole of the wilderness is aflame, then you lock your front door to keep everyone from running outside until it burns itself out.  A challenge, but not a game-killer.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »

I cracked up in maniacle glee when I read that. Well, that and I was laughing at the frostbite and then burning clothes. Great combination.

I can't wait until I can set goblins (and drunks) on fire though. Now THAT will be fun.  :D

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

The dragon can easily breath over the river however. In addition, should the dragon set the world ablaze, anything left outside is gone. Depending on how you build your fortress, this could either cause total desolation or be entirely irrelevant. Worse yet, any woodcutting and hunting operations will be destroyed. Still not a gamebreaker I suppose, but still a major challenge.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »

I suppose now it will make sense to build fire-breaks. Wide roads (will have to figure out just how wide) built to protect (and confine) forested areas with valuable lumber will be a new game challenge.

Also, I can't wait to set an elven town on fire. Or hit the elf caravan with some flaming arrows. Or trap them in a super-cold area and watch them freeze. Hahaha!

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>
Also, I can't wait to set an elven town on fire. Or hit the elf caravan with some flaming arrows. Or trap them in a super-cold area and watch them freeze. Hahaha!</STRONG>

Or set a forest fire to destroy the elven army sent to protect the trees. How's that for irony?

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »

Firebreaks would be another good use for moats one would suspect.  I could see some fairly complex land management... and how about slash and burn farming?  That could be interesting... burn down the forest, and collect ash for your cave farms?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 12:47:00 am »

I'd just like to point out a few possible issues before they possibly get overlooked.

On particularly cold maps, is it possible for the slow moving human caravans to freeze to death on their way to or from the fortress?

Do seiges freeze to death too quickly?

Does steam, which apparently does fire damage, set things on fire?

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 02:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
Does steam, which apparently does fire damage, set things on fire?
Realistically, no. The heat is contained in the humidity of steam; it wouldn't set anything on fire, though it would melt ice.

But in the game? Hopefully not.
[IMO steam shouldn't do fire damage, it should do boiling damage, since it's just 100 degree + water vapour.]

[ December 05, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 02:50:00 am »

See, that's my point. Toady already knows that it has to be a seperate sort of damage, but at the moment, it's fire damage, so I think it will cause fire to erupt. This will have interesting consequences.

Speaking of fire effects, I would like extreme heat, aka lava, to totally destroy things that fall into it, aka dwarves. Especially as others sometimes try to fish them out.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 03:21:00 am »

For freezing, yes, it's a current issue, but one I'm aware of while I'm working on this.  In the glacial maps, your dwarves can freeze to death outside, but that will just give you a reason to dig a little tunnel early on.  Even if the humans are bundled up, their horses will probably die, so I might just not let them come until we do proper arctic peoples with proper transportation solutions for the weather.

Steam used to do fire damage, before temperature was implemented.  Now fire just heats things, and the heat causes the damage -- if you hit the flash point of a combustible material, it will get its own "on fire" flag and generate its own heat and continue to burn even if the environment becomes cold.  Even if I don't have things get "wet" now, steam doesn't hit the flash point of any of the current materials, so you don't have to worry about wood or anything else catching on fire from it.  In real life, I'm not sure what happens if steam that is heated well above the flash point of a substance is sprayed upon it long enough for the temperature to reach the flash point -- the substance will want to combust, but might have trouble getting to enough oxygen to sustain a fire while the steam is there.  In any case, I think all the steam right now will just heat the air to water's boiling point.  If steam passes through a square that has a fire in it that is already hotter, I might have it stop the fire, though I'm not sure if that's accurate.  I'm not sure what happens in real life if a forest fire that is generating a lot of heat hits a river boundary for example.  The heat from the nearby fire might be enough to get the water to steam, but does that stop the nearby fire in any meaningful way?  Probably not...

[ December 05, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:55:00 am »

All good to know. Also, no, I don't think steam has any meaningful impact on fire.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 09:14:00 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighting  could give you some good ideas.  It talks about the effects of spraying a fire with water, that's different from a river though.  The major point is that the conversion to steam absorbs a lot of the temperature, and displaces the oxygen.

quote:
in contact with the fire, it vaporizes, and this vapour displaces the oxygen (the volume of water vapour is 1,700 times greater than liquid water); leaving the fire with not enough combustive agent to continue, and it dies out.
the vaporization of water absorbs the heat; it cools the smoke, air, walls, objects in the room, etc., that could act as further fuel, and thus prevents one of the means that fires grow, which is by "jumping" to nearby heat/fuel sources to start new fires, which then combine.
The extinction is thus a combination of "asphyxia" and cooling. The flame itself is suppressed by asphyxia, but the cooling is the most important element to master a fire in a closed area.
Pages: [1] 2