Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Roll to Succeed or Die 2  (Read 3524 times)

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
  • monopoly money counterfeiter
    • View Profile
Roll to Succeed or Die 2
« on: November 04, 2015, 03:56:08 pm »

After reviewing this thread from last year and recalling that I dropped it out of laziness, I've decided to give this concept another shot. The rules of the thread are identical to the last one, but I'll copy them over for simplicity's sake.

The rules of this RTD are a little different to what you may be used to. While most RTDs work off a graduating scale of success, with 1 representing total failure and 6 constituting a success of potentially dangerous magnitude, this one operates on extremes.
At the beginning of each round, you (the players) will collectively control a single character present in a random scenario. You will then be asked to dictate this character's actions, the success of which will be decided by a dice roll. Rolling any number between 2 and 6 guarantees some kind of success, or at least the avoidance of failure - you might just avoid getting killed, or you may win the day then and there. Rolling a 1, however, means immediate and spectacular death, which in turn means transitioning to a new scenario and the beginning of a new round. Feel free to take risks when dictating actions for me to narrate - as long as the dice don't come up with a 1, no horrible consequences will ensue. I'll try and include as many player suggestions as possible in every update, but contradictory or particularly nonsensical suggestions will be cherry-picked at my discretion.

Scenario I
Pat C. McCarthy, Police Sergeant
Downtown Brooklyn, New York, USA
December 24th, 1928

You lurch forward slightly as your vehicle skids to a halt against the icy streets of Brookyln's seedy downtown districts. A gentle waft of freezing dusk air, tainted slightly by the car's lingering fumes, greets you as you push the passenger door open and plant your thick-soled boots on the snow-covered sidewalk. The driver's door slams shut not long after your own and you're quickly joined by your driver and trusted compatriot, Officer Morris.
"Nice night for it, eh, chief?" he mentions as he stops at your side, smiling patiently as you fumble in the pockets of your navy-blue police overcoat for a lighter - the cigarette you're planning to use it on is, of course, already nestled between your stubbly lips.
"Yeah, something like that," you retort flatly. "Let's just get moving." Morris' happy-go-lucky attitude had never quite managed to rub off on you, no matter how many patrols you walked with him.

The two of you begin making tracks in the snow, rounding the corner ahead and scanning the street before you for your destination. "Right there," you note after a few seconds, pulling your hand out of your pocket and pointing out a small residence across the snowy street. If it weren't for the wide windows illuminated by light from within, the place might've been hard to spot past the ever-thickening December snowfall. The sign above the door reads 'Mary's Café'. "Real suspicious that a place like that is open at this time of night, huh?" Morris pipes up again. You offer him a grunt in response and start crossing the silent road between you and the café, with your colleague following suit. You figure that you don't have to look both ways before crossing - with no bars or taverns to play host to Christmas merriment, most people these days stay off the roads and at home.

A small array of bells above the door is disturbed by your entrance, signaling your arrival to the establishment's inhabitants. Most of the tables are vacant, save for the occasional parties of patrons, most of whom try to avoid making eye contact with you as you stride over to the service counter. A good deal of them are nursing perfectly innocuous cups of coffee or glasses of water... although, obviously, you know that there's more to the story than that, or else you wouldn't have been sent here in the first place. Morris casts his gaze around curiously as a portly, moustached man emerges from the back of the café, meeting you at the counter. He looks extremely apprehensive, more so than you'd expect from an innocent man.
"Good evening, officers..!" he eventually manages to greet you, after swallowing the lump in his throat. "Come for, uh... some coffee? Something to make the late-night patrol a little more bet-- uh, bearable? Right?"

You're not here for coffee, and the clerk obviously knows it. Indeed, you're here to investigate a claim made by one of your informants that the proprietor of this establishment has gotten involved in a business that he shouldn't have - and judging by the tension that's rapidly filling the air between the two of you, you suspect that he knows your motives. How do you respond?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Succeed or Die 2
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »

Lean forward. Say "I don't want no trouble you hear"

Start wildly flailing our arms about screaming WOOLOOWOOLOO. This should scare the shit out of him, and make him tell us what he did. If he doesn't comply, release our bowels and start pissing everywhere. 99% of the time that works every time.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:13:37 pm »

Lean forward. Say "I don't want no trouble you hear"

Start wildly flailing our arms about screaming WOOLOOWOOLOO. This should scare the shit out of him, and make him tell us what he did. If he doesn't comply, release our bowels and start pissing everywhere. 99% of the time that works every time.

Roll = 3

You lean heavily on the counter and silence the cashier's stammering with a hundred-yard glare. He's almost surely not a career criminal, judging by how he's reacted so far, but you can never be sure with some of these types. "Now, listen," you intone quietly, locking eyes with him steadily. "I don't want to start no trouble, y'hear? But you know why me and my pal are here, and if you don't start playing ball..." You trail off very subtly, leaving nothing but silence and cigarette fumes lingering in the air for a few precious seconds. Then, very suddenly and with a ferocity that almost surprises you yourself, you throw your arms into the air and let out an inarticulate yell that sounds something like a police siren filtered through a howling wolf. This outburst surprises even Morris, who's still getting used to your habit of screaming like this during tense situations, and causes a few innocent patrons to almost leap out of their chairs with shock. The clerk you were trying to intimidate is practically cowering at this point, both confused and terrified. Just as well, too, or else you might have had to do something really extreme and disgusting.

"Okay, o-okay!" he yelps once you quiet down. "Come in here. Quick. And p-please don't do that again!" He retreats back into the door he entered through less than a minute ago, leaving it open for you - clearly, he expects you to follow him in. From what you can see behind the counter, it appears to be a fairly spacious storage room of sorts, with dimly-lit glimpses of shelves and packing boxes visible through the dusty air. You'd need to enter in order to get a proper look, though. Morris flashes you a weird look before you move on - either he's got a bad feeling about this, or he's just weirded out by what you just did. How do you proceed?

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:49:12 am »

Go through the doorway, but  as soon as we enter, jump up and swing from the light on the ceiling until we know its safe.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

blazing glory

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:40:16 am »

Slam the door shut and then kick it off it's hinges, scare 'em straight, and then follow up with

Go through the doorway, but  as soon as we enter, jump up and swing from the light on the ceiling until we know its safe.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 08:40:12 am »

Slam the door shut and then kick it off it's hinges, scare 'em straight, and then follow up with

+1
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:10:06 am »

+1
+1 keep telling him we want no trouble
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »

+1 keep telling him we want no trouble

Roll = 4

Unfortunately for the café owner, you're not done acting like a gorilla just yet. Pulling your considerable weight over the counter, you march up to the door and promptly yank it closed. After leaving it like that for a few short seconds, you bring up your trusty police shoe and boot the flimsy door open with a mighty kick, snapping one of the hinges and sending it flying open at a rather awkward angle. The clerk practically leaps out of his pants and barely manages to avoid falling over. "I don't want any trouble, alright?!" you belt out once again. You're not sure if anybody believes you at this point, but you really don't want any trouble - you just figure that the best way of preventing trouble is to cause some of your own. Morris follows you sheepishly, giving the terrified customers in the café an apologetic glance before disappearing into the doorway after you.

As soon as you're in the room, you put your next plan into action. With a powerful leap, you launch yourself ceiling-wards and clamp your large hands around the lightbulb, picking your legs up and swinging from it with surprising grace. From this vantage point, you can clearly see that you're not about to get ambushed. Your tactical advantage, however, is cut short as the aging plaster holding the light fixture in place crumbles under your weight, sending you crashing to the floor along with a few kilograms of splinters, plaster dust and wiring. Picking yourself up and spitting out a few flakes of old ceiling paint, you notice that the clerk who led you in here is nowhere to be seen. You can hardly blame him for making his escape during your ape-like display of agility. Before you can start searching for him, however, the light from doorway you barreled through is blocked out by a pair of sharp silhouettes.

"That's enough, copper!" one of them barks in a distinctly criminal accent. You spin around to see a pair of tall, well-dressed men, with fedoras shading their eyes and Thompson machine-guns clasped in their grubby criminal hands. "Just as well you trashed the place already - now nobody'll care that we're about to blow you away!" It seems that you've walked into an ambush after all, despite your careful surveillance. Morris is by your side, covered in plaster, with one hand hovering over his revolver's handle. What do yo do?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:02:50 pm by Veritas »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:56:58 pm »

Start spinning, launching shit from my anus. Before i do this, pull of my pants and underware

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:54:13 pm »

Start spinning, launching shit from my anus. Before i do this, pull of my pants and underware
-1, too unrealistic.

Pull out our revolver, open fire, and immediately take cover again, backing up the stairs to create a choke point.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

-1, too unrealistic.

Pull out our revolver, open fire, and immediately take cover again, backing up the stairs to create a choke point.

-1 not fun

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »

-1, too lewd.

Grab the door, tear it off the last hinges, turn it down it's side and use it to joust the criminals.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 04:20:33 pm »

-1, too lewd.

Grab the door, tear it off the last hinges, turn it down it's side and use it to joust the criminals.

While screaming about our lord and savoir Cthulu.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »

Roll = 3

You consider doing something ridiculous with the door you almost managed to destroy on the way in, but your new enemies are directly in between you and the door. Just for the time being, you decide to go for the slightly more boring, but far safer option of an old-fashioned shoot-out.

Years of experience race into action as you whip out your sidearm like a seasoned cowboy, letting loose a shot at the leftmost of the two crooks before they can level their weapons at you. Your aim leaves nothing to be desired and the first of the two baddies stumbles back, blood springing from the new hole in his shoulder. The second of the gangsters attempts to put you down, but you're too quick even for bullets as you roll to safety behind a packing crate. You figure that it must contain something tough, since none of the bullets that the criminal has unloaded into it have gotten through to harm you yet. You spare a glance in Morris' direction, noting that he seems to have fared about as well as you, although he has yet to discharge his weapon. You toss a purposeful nod in the direction of the stairs leading to the second floor, and he seems to get the message.

As soon as your colleague rises out of cover, you launch yourself towards the stairs, aiming to get behind the railing and into some semblance of cover before you get shot. Morris lays down covering fire for your manoeuvre, forcing the gangsters to find cover of their own as the shots fly. Despite the wound you inflicted, both of your adversaries are still very much capable of putting you down, so you waste no time in barking an order to Morris as soon as you're at the stairs. One of the criminals pokes his head up in order to try and snap some shots off at Morris as he retreats in your direction, but you keep your foe cowering with some suppressive fire of your own. Before long, the two of you are safe at the top of the stairs, breathing heavily. The brief respite should give you time to reload and consider your next move before the baddies come charging after you.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 04:52:48 pm »

Yell. "Oh no! I'm out of bullets!"

Then shoot them when they take the bait.
Pages: [1] 2 3