Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Victorian Mod "bugfixing and tea" edition[0.40.xx]  (Read 10939 times)

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
Victorian Mod "bugfixing and tea" edition[0.40.xx]
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »

*I don't have a fancy title image, so just use your imagination here*
Victorian Mod
"Bugfixing and tea" edition

Hello! A few days ago, I talked with some people on the interwebs about turning DF into a Victorian Era (At first Napoleonic, but the mod evolved into a 19th century mod). A lot of people on /dfg/ like the idea, so I decided to work on it. At first I just did some basic modifications of the game by adding different kinds of sabres, swords and daggers, a musket, a rifle and a pistol. It was pretty cool, but it still wasn't good enough... So I decided to add clothing! 19th century clothing including tophats, coats, corsets, monocles (Dwarves needs to look fancy) and even ushankas and turbans (I know, turbans are already on the base game, I'm just stupid and added them from scratch instead of just copying it from vanilla dwarf fortress). It still wasn't 19th centuryish enough, so I added nations! At first I was thinking about adding different "human races" and naming them after countries (Frenchmen and Frenchwomen race, Englishman and Englishwomen race) but it wasn't that good of an idea... It didn't fit with DF... I, then, decided to just remake entity_default and changing the civilizations to fit real world early 19th century countries including: France (Goblins), England (Humans), Russia (Dwarves), Prussia (Ogres), Austria (Trolls), Greece (Kobolds) and the Ottoman Empire (Elves, you now got yet another reason to exterminate them), each of them having at least one custom weapon (Except maybe for France, who haves the same arms as England except for the Rifle, they have muskets instead, but they aren't playable and are Goblins so I doubt anyone will be mad). I "finished" my mod, but I knew there was stuff missing and probably a lot of bugs and unbalanced things, so I decided to upload it into Github to, not only make it easier for me to edit it, but also for anyone else interested. So far you can only play as Dwarves and Humans, but I'll add more if requested. Adventure mode is also available!

I also tried to make a custom tileset but it's awful.

TL;DR: I made a Victorian Era themed mod where you shoot things with muskets and rifles and you can play as humans or dwarves. You can dress as a gentlemen and shoot elves in the face in adventure mode too! The mod is also available on Github and I made a custom tileset but it's awful.

Links:

Github: Source Code in Github (Get the latest version here, it's for Linux, but you can still play it on a windows/MacOs version by dragging and dropping the raw and data folder into a vanilla copy of Dwarf Fortress)
Releases: Github releases

Installation instructions:

Linux: Download, Extract and play
Windows/MacOS: Download, Extract and drag and drop the RAW and DATA Folders into your vanilla copy of Dwarf Fortress

FAQ:
*Is this mod finished?
IT'S FINISHED! HELL YEAH, just need some bugfixing and tea balancing!
*Can you craft firearms and al that cool stuff?
Yup! you can craft muskets, rifles and bullets!
*What nations do you currently have?
Russians (Dwarves,playable)
English(Humans, playable too, might be unbalanced)
French(Goblins, not playable)
Ottomans(Elves, not playable, why would you want to play as them anyways)
Austrians(Trolls, not playable at all, nothing but a copy of the Goblins so far)
Prussians(Ogres, same as above)
*Is there anything special about the nations?
They speak their real-life counterpart's language! Goblins speak in french, Humans in English, Austrians and Prussians in German!
*I don't like X can I change it/I'd like to see X in the mod, can I add it?
Go ahead, be my guest!
*How much stuff have you added/removed?
A crapload! I removed all above-ground giant animals and animal people, renamed trogs to "Wild Men" and turned them into benign above ground sub-humans, added Tripods from War of the Worlds, Wendigos, a few household spirits, ghouls, hell hounds, Leshys, Mad scientists and their creatures (Thanks to MaxTM and his awesome work and bugfixes), new plants and trees, renamed all above-ground plants that don't exist in real life to their real life counterparts, added new drinks, tea (Which is food and not a liquid because I don't want it to be alcoholic), canned food, a lot of new weapons (including entity-specific ones), new clothing that fits the period (tophat industry anyone?), removed all the creatures that don't really fit the period (dragons and such) and balanced some things caused by the addition of firearms, new buildings for making bullets and firearms, MaxTM's crazy Victorian-themed racial sprites, played around with jobnames, and all of this without the need of any 3rd party software (The copy of dfhack that comes included is optional, you are not forced to use it)!

And now, some dwarves killing elves as a demonstration!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for reading! If anything breaks or you don't like something, feel free to shout at me and I'll try my best to fix it. This is mostly a learning project, but still an actual mod.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:23:28 am by DrunkGamer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Mod (Needs a real name)[0.40xx][WIP]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:36:48 pm »

Well I certainly am surprised to see this and had no idea that it was going to be posted here but think it is great.

*cough*

Is that believeable?

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:02:52 pm »

Well I certainly am surprised to see this and had no idea that it was going to be posted here but think it is great.

*cough*

Is that believeable?

If I say yes, will you play it?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:46 pm »

Oh god I feel so naked without a shield, I'm gonna have a nervous  breakdown.

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:38:22 pm »

Is this going for a realistic Victorian or more of a fantasy-steampunk?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »

Feels much more realistic than fantasy to me.

I mean, there's still Rocs and shit, but we're not running around in gears and airships.

Still can't figure out why ammo isn't showing up, which is a mixed blessing, muskets look scary as shit on the other end, but they're really fun to blast shit with too.

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »

Is this going for a realistic Victorian or more of a fantasy-steampunk?

A mix between the Dwarf Fortress fantasy and a Victorian theme. No steampunk but at the same time fantasy. So, basically, dwarves with muskets shooting at dragons.

I need to fix the ammo reactions, tho. Might take some time because I'll be busy and away from my main computer for the weekend.

EDIT:

Fixed the ammo, there were some typos on Entity_Default making it impossible for all races to make ammunition. It should work now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:17:09 pm by DrunkGamer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:38:26 pm »

Oh good! I didn't give it a full spellcheck because my eyes weren't tuned to it yet.

byondtester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 08:55:00 am »

Definitely keeping an eye on this. I've always seen gunpowder and such as a logical progression of Dwarven technology, honestly these guys are so crafty it surprised me they didn't discover gunpowder and such sooner.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 11:10:01 am »

That is a very nice idea. Maybe convert the animal men races into different tribal people, like Maori, Aborigines, Amazon tribesmen, Native Americans, etc.

Will you keep the fantasy animals? They fit better with classical medieval times, I think victorian times have plenty of other fantastic creations. Think Jules Vernes, sea monsters, journey to the center of the earth (for the caverns), check the hilarious false biology books for creatures that explorers supposedly found in faraway continents, get some morlocs into the deeper caverns, werewolves and vampires fit very well, get a Jekyll/Hyde werebeast, lovecraftian FBs or Titans, lots of stuff from these times.

Dfhack already has a steam engine plugin, and if you want some more complicated machinery, check out IndigoFenix scripts. Telegraph poles, tesla coils, etc.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:20 am »

That is a very nice idea. Maybe convert the animal men races into different tribal people, like Maori, Aborigines, Amazon tribesmen, Native Americans, etc.

Will you keep the fantasy animals? They fit better with classical medieval times, I think victorian times have plenty of other fantastic creations. Think Jules Vernes, sea monsters, journey to the center of the earth (for the caverns), check the hilarious false biology books for creatures that explorers supposedly found in faraway continents, get some morlocs into the deeper caverns, werewolves and vampires fit very well, get a Jekyll/Hyde werebeast, lovecraftian FBs or Titans, lots of stuff from these times.

Dfhack already has a steam engine plugin, and if you want some more complicated machinery, check out IndigoFenix scripts. Telegraph poles, tesla coils, etc.

About the aborigins: I doubt they'll fit, as the whole mod is euro centric. Someone already told me to turn Kobolds into Haitians but it just didn't fit.

About the creatures: I was thinking about that too, but for now I'm interested on balancing and adding the basic (Such as gunsmith buildings and such)

And I don't really want to use DFHack and such, I want to keep the game "basic" so to speak.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 12:52:47 pm »

Dapper Fort
The VicDorfian Era
Fucking Tophats Everywhere

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »

Dapper Fort
The VicDorfian Era

Heh. I'll look into it.

I'm starting to run low on ideas (Well, I actually ran low on them a long time ago) and can't seem to find any fixable bug.

Anyone who is interested feel fee to tell me if you want to see anything in the mod.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »

Dapper Fort
The VicDorfian Era

Heh. I'll look into it.

I'm starting to run low on ideas (Well, I actually ran low on them a long time ago) and can't seem to find any fixable bug.

Anyone who is interested feel fee to tell me if you want to see anything in the mod.
What about procedurally generated beasties? Patchwork creatures come to mind, ala Frankenstien's monster, as do steampowered robots. It should be possible by using DFHack to put them into virtual memory during worldgen. Just make sure they have the GENERATED tag.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 06:55:36 am »

Dapper Fort
The VicDorfian Era

Heh. I'll look into it.

What about procedurally generated beasties? Patchwork creatures come to mind, ala Frankenstien's monster, as do steampowered robots. It should be possible by using DFHack to put them into virtual memory during worldgen. Just make sure they have the GENERATED tag.

While Frankenstein's monster is a really nice idea, I don't know how I feel about steampunkish stuff...

I mean, steampunk is really great, but I want to keep it, how to say it, "semi-realistic".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4