Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haunting Prophecy - calling a danger  (Read 644 times)

Mecano

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Haunting Prophecy - calling a danger
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:35:57 am »

After some time playing in any fortress, is a bit boring, but what if existise a game the way get a little more difficult way to curse the region with a haunting prophecy.

It could be a way to kill a vampire in a specific way, or an alchemist somehow making a curse or prophecy, and after 3 or 5 years ... necromancers begin to arrive and the area would become haunted.

The interesting thing would be that they would have a few years to prepare could even be installed a small necromancer tower that would appear after a fog or something.

like the idea? suggestions or the like are welcome. help me to think how it would look better,

this idea of calling a danger to the fortress

Blightedmarsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haunting Prophecy - calling a danger
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 04:09:48 pm »

A few thoughts:

A noble dies with an unfulfilled mandate. The ghost may require that you bury it with certain grave goods before you lay it to rest.
------------

You capture a were creature. The rest of its pack begin harassing the fortress with hit and run attacks; killing traders, surface dwarfs, game and migrants and running away if an armed response arrives. They will keep doing it unless you give up the hostage, it dies (then they outright attack, or over half the pack dies.
-------------

You kill a vampire, its mate will either:

A) infiltrate the fortress, turning dwarfs into its slaves. sabotaging doors, strange moods, mechanisms, bridges and floodgates.
B) Inciting a neighboring civ or hostile animals into attacking you on its behalf.
-------------

You disturb an ancient mountainside tomb and steal its relic artifact. Unless you return the artifact or destroy the tomb the wight will rise up and do nasty things to your dwarfs.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:18 am »

The necromancers showing up and stuff feels a bit too gamey to me, since I'm not sure a "prophesy" is a good justification for historical figures to go out of their way to visit a specific location- like, what motive do they have beyond messing up the player's day?

Now substitute in random evil weather or something instead and I think it could have a lot of good story potential. "All was well until Urist mocked the visiting wizard, now it rains disgusting goo that melts the skin right off a dwarf's bones."

Even better could be the potential for evil effects to happen inside enclosed structures, though it'd probably be painful to program. Imagine having to seal off the dining hall and start a new one because one of the walls keeps spawning husking fog.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:51:43 am »

I think once we got to the army arc and real wars and sieges (with enemies being able to dig) and so on the happy calm times will be a thing of the past.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »

Hmmmm I'd say too many deaths and unburied corpses would go a long way into making a biome evil.  Hundreds of dead goblins/humans/hippies litter the countryside.  The collective anger of these spirits seeps into the ground to curse the fortress that brought them ruin, corrupting the very ground that became their tomb.  Now, burying hundreds of goblins would be a nightmare, but maybe we can erect memorials for each siege.  Perhaps we could also designate mass-graves and put a shiny marble plinth over them as an appeasement.  Priests and temples could also offset this.  A bitchin' temple to the local deity could help keep the corrupting influences at bay.  Unless... that bitchin' temple was to a death god! It would be pretty cool if praying to the Gods and gaining their favor meant anything, but really hey just serve as places to pray and create nightcreatures. 

Certain forgotten beasts could also contribute.  Leave a syndrome-spewing forgotten beast alive for too long/let it reach the surface and it could corrupt the countryside.  Too much corruption could shift you into an evil biome.  Uncorking the HFS should definitely go a long way to corrupting your site as well.  Corruption could also spread from necromancer towers.  During undead sieges, repeated reanimation could curse the region.  You'd need a way to counter this though, perhaps a priest from a sufficiently nice temple could go out and cleanse the land/purify the remains of zombies/thralls.