Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Order to only dump sentient (not including my dead dwarves, if possible) corpses  (Read 794 times)

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Basically, as it stands, we can, through the refuse orders, dump ALL corpses automatically, but given the way that seeing a sentient corpse currently impacts dwarves (ie they freak the fuck out in terms of stress for what seems like forever) but also the gain to be had from being able to butcher the random stuff my military kills when stationed in the cavern floors (or really any other reason why non-sentient corpses might wind up lying around), it'd be nice to be able to dump (and thus get rid of) sentient corpses while not dumping nice, useful butcher able corpses.

There are definitely things I could do in the orders menu to keep my dwarves from winding up with 50+ saw a dead troglodyte messages even while being able to butcher things, but frankly they're a lot more work and it seems like the kind of thing a simple option in the orders menu would be great for.

Obviously this shouldn't include dwarf corpses, so they can be buried, but I don't THINK they're impacted by the refuse order either?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it would make sense if all sentients were eligible for burial and ghost-producing. What's so special about dwarves?

This way we could limit hassle with corpse management. Although I consider current state of affairs to be bug, dwarves should be building up mental resistance to this. Or at least not get triggered by the same corpse over and over.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it would make sense if all sentients were eligible for burial and ghost-producing. What's so special about dwarves?

This way we could limit hassle with corpse management. Although I consider current state of affairs to be bug, dwarves should be building up mental resistance to this. Or at least not get triggered by the same corpse over and over.
So instead of fortress-wide insanity being spread by the stress of a goblin's toe in a major corridor, we get fortress-wide insanity spread by a big bunch of goblin and troll ghosts terrorizing the place. I like it! Sounds like a good recipe for escalating !Fun!
Also brings back traumatic childhood memories of Level 9's Red Moon...

Is it reasonable to expect players to build a graveyard to bury all the goblins after a battle, though?
Maybe burning them in a big pyre would work?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It takes some very exotic player choices to not be able to produce sufficient supply of coffins.

Generally, I feel like garbage burning should be a thing to not go for exotic length just to get rid of clutter. But burying everyone is relatively trivial task as long as you have manpower.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It takes some very exotic player choices to not be able to produce sufficient supply of coffins.

Generally, I feel like garbage burning should be a thing to not go for exotic length just to get rid of clutter. But burying everyone is relatively trivial task as long as you have manpower.
After a siege in which all the attackers were killed, was it usual for their bodies to be buried individually in the surviving defenders graveyard back in the middle ages? Seems like they'd either all be shoveled into one mass pit, or burned, or sent back to where they came from (maybe). Of course, historically they didn't come back to haunt you.

It may be mechanically quite simple, but...burial and slab carving for a bunch of dead goblins?? Point me to a fantasy series in which dwarves or any other fantasy race ever did this.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that refuse stockpiles should allow for piling stuff on top of other stuff, that'd make it much easier.

But really the problem here is the seeing corpses bad thought. A severed goblin hand shouldn't be that stressful, especially after you've seen several corpses. Also, dwarves live in an age when butchering is done publicly, not removed from sensitive eyes like nowadays.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that refuse stockpiles should allow for piling stuff on top of other stuff, that'd make it much easier.

But really the problem here is the seeing corpses bad thought. A severed goblin hand shouldn't be that stressful, especially after you've seen several corpses. Also, dwarves live in an age when butchering is done publicly, not removed from sensitive eyes like nowadays.
It's something that people should be building resistence for quickly. I think there should be several mental immunities or at least a scale that eliminates bad thoughts from corpses quickly, bad thought from violence later and bad thought from losing loved ones on the very top.