Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expanded Justice Menu  (Read 1567 times)

Woogasnerk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Expanded Justice Menu
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »

I think we should have a whole justice menu, where you can assign specific punishment to specific crime. You could assign punishments like mutilation, forced labor, or exile to a pre-designated area, and you could specify associated crimes with modifiers, such as trespassing in a peasants room, as opposed to trespassing in a noble's room, or stealing a sock, as opposed to stealing a gold statue.

As a side note, blinded prisoners would be very useful. Perhaps the ability to blind/castrate non-prisoners would be in order.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:47:35 pm by Woogasnerk »

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Justice Menu
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:41:07 pm »

Interesting potential; maybe on the flip side, one could play a "Hippie Commune" style fort where criminals are sentenced to get a hug and some counseling.  These different styles of punishment should probably have different effects on the dwarfs (mood, likelihood of reform, respect for leaders) depending on the dwarf's own personality and sense of justice.  For example, a merciful dwarf who was blinded for failing to make 72 slate thrones or whatever would turn against the cruel regime and try to incite a revolt, while a harsh Dwarf sentenced to "reassess his personal harmony levels in the serenity grove" because he killed 6 dwarfs and a goat would lose respect for your pansy Elf system.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »

I think batgirl's idea is important to keep players from ignoring justice altogether.  In my fort stealing a gold statute would have the same punishment as stealing a sock, but if you think sock stealing needs that extra harsh sentence to build in some deterrent, by all means go ahead.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:06:44 am »

The penalties should somehow be dependent on your fort's civilization. I would guess that at first instance the few dwarves will carry their home mountain traditions strictly.

As time progresses and crimes never done before are perpetrated you'll have responsibility on setting the bar, or perhaps even be asked to send the criminals back to the mountain homes for them to set the appropriate punishment as precedent.

Eventually as you grow in power you could chose to deviate from the mountain home judicial system and make up your own, but be wary of how much the rest of your civilization can tolerate, or perhaps most of them would align with you against the oppressive laws of the ancients?

I see this kind of things with good potential of tension and even civil war, which implies more "fun".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

NonverbalShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Material name: Leather
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:08 am »

I think batgirl's idea is important to keep players from ignoring justice altogether.  In my fort stealing a gold statute would have the same punishment as stealing a sock, but if you think sock stealing needs that extra harsh sentence to build in some deterrent, by all means go ahead.
You never know, lack of clean socks might trigger a tantrum spiral. The punishment for sock theft should probably be exile into the elf kingdoms or at the very least, death of the criminal and his entire family in a waterlogged arena full of carp.
I wonder why I'm not getting any migrants at "Anusrape the Pain of Strangers"

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

The punishment should also depends from the rank of the culprit and his victim: an Elf POW should be punished more harshly and differently than a Monarch - before the Enlightement, nobles and clergy had special courts and penalties (a French noble was to be beheaded instead of being hanged; in Russia, some classes were exempt from corporal punishment (knout); clergymen could be sent in a monastery instead of prison in Francoist Spain).

Of course, this could results into a Monarch killing a Elf POW getting only a 1¤ fine whereas the same POW stealing from this Monarch could be hanged, drawn and quartered.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

illiousintahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:25:28 am »

The problem i see a lot of the more interesting justice methods, such as forced military service or slavery (as labour restriction and hauling labour enforcement) would not pose seemingly an actual player level contraindicate & thus make the task of handling justice more tedious than it needs  to be.
I'm in favour of varied physical measures as opposed to a straight hammering (which itself can be abused using candy) as there does not seem to be much variety.
I am also in favour of more direct input like when you are visited by the liason.
ATM it's too easy to not look into justice and have no effective way of tackling it once it becomes a problem.
Due to no witnesses, no way to set a dwarf to 'look into it' and too many negative thoughts when it comes right down to the fact that order has gotten so out of hand an iron fist mandate from the top that accusation is evidence enough; proves that the current system is not quite right.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:05 am »

The problem i see a lot of the more interesting justice methods, such as forced military service or slavery (as labour restriction and hauling labour enforcement) would not pose seemingly an actual player level contraindicate & thus make the task of handling justice more tedious than it needs  to be.
I'm in favour of varied physical measures as opposed to a straight hammering (which itself can be abused using candy) as there does not seem to be much variety.
I am also in favour of more direct input like when you are visited by the liason.
ATM it's too easy to not look into justice and have no effective way of tackling it once it becomes a problem.
Due to no witnesses, no way to set a dwarf to 'look into it' and too many negative thoughts when it comes right down to the fact that order has gotten so out of hand an iron fist mandate from the top that accusation is evidence enough; proves that the current system is not quite right.
Do you remember that message that pops up when you gen a world, the one about this being alpha software? :)

It would be nice if the various levels of punishment actually mattered, particularly PUNISH_EXILE.  The player can set the punishment level (what crime gets PUNISH_REPRIMAND, PUNISH_SERIOUS, PUNISH_EXILE, or PUNISH_CAPITAL) and deviate from the default actions associated with those levels... such as "mild" corporal punishment for serious offenses, indefinite restraint instead of exile, etc.

Dwarves in particular consider slavery to be unthinkable, but there's no reason why other entities couldn't use that as a punishment, either for a set time or permanently.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map