Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 34775 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase
« Reply #495 on: December 13, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

Yup.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 13, 2015, 12:04:22 pm »

Well, for aslong as Britannia rules the waves, we can control much of the trade to the islands.  And can probably trade for a steam engine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »

Well, for aslong as Britannia rules the waves, we can control much of the trade to the islands.  And can probably trade for a steam engine.
We don't know what it will be about yet, but yeah, we're in best position to trade.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:40 am »

Especially since no one else will have a navy, we could blockade the island.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 14, 2015, 11:41:45 am »

Well, one of those has that steam failure, which even if they did get it working would be inferior to our weaponry.

On the other hand, our naval domination rests pretty much entirely on a single design action. It's not that certain. Sure, we got the cannons and the pirate ship to reinforce it, but the pirate ship was inferior to our ships, so I'm not sure how much help it would be.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:20 am »

Well, one of those has that steam failure, which even if they did get it working would be inferior to our weaponry.

On the other hand, our naval domination rests pretty much entirely on a single design action. It's not that certain. Sure, we got the cannons and the pirate ship to reinforce it, but the pirate ship was inferior to our ships, so I'm not sure how much help it would be.

Well, we could replace our gunboats entirely with the pirate design-it's a very nice small ship, and I'm sure we can modify it a bit to push for a 5 gun broadside +2 chasers(or just the chasers if that's all that's possible). Remember, it couldn't stand up to our sloop's broadside, but it is more agile and almost as fast, and is far superior than our gunboats.

But yeah, eventually I want to make a 28-gun frigate(preferably steam or steam-and-sail, but a 3-masted frigate would do)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 14, 2015, 11:56:14 am »

The thing is, the Piraty design is too large to fit into the resource constraints of the gun boats. Our gunboats have the advantage of having many of them.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 14, 2015, 11:59:21 am »

our naval superiority rests on 2 designs. cannons should not be underestimated, double range is a significant advantage.

Plus, navies seem to require long build up times. notice how every turn one or 2 new ships are introduced. Even a superior enemy design would find itself heavily outnumbered at first, giving us time to react.

That said, we will need upgrades to the fleet in 2 or 3 turns at most, even if enemies make no moves in that direction. Can't afford to lose the edge.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 14, 2015, 12:03:26 pm »

The thing is, the Piraty design is too large to fit into the resource constraints of the gun boats. Our gunboats have the advantage of having many of them.

...point. Yeah, the gunboats are probably sticking around, but we should focus one of these days on getting more of the pirate design out since it would be useful as a patrol ship and raider. We should also give it a class name....The York class cutter maybe?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

I'm not sure. It might be that the extra ships are merely fluff, and that all but one will disappear now that we switched production effort.

Still, the enemy should not be able to harm us due to our cannon + gunboat advantage.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 15, 2015, 01:09:41 am »

while we are at this discussig stage, maybe we can talk about strategic plans, instead of just designs?  namely, if our landing succeeds, where do we go from there? shall we strive to capture a city? which one? even if farther, it may be beneficial to go north, to stay away from the border where we risk being targeted by both enemy countries.

One thing I wonder is if we can spend a focus action to build fortifications. The peninsula might make a good fortress, ensuring that we are never kicked out of the mainland. Building such a fortress would, however, slow our advance.

I think strategic priorities on the land would be holding to a safe foothold in the continent and then capturing a city(which might grant us access to resources).
How much focus we expend on a blockade is tied to the trade rules which will be explained in next turn.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]