Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1782 Revision Phase  (Read 33531 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1781 Future Planning
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2015, 01:53:41 pm »

No to the steam engine. Steam-powered ships aren't any better anyway before we have access to high pressure, probably superheated steam.

Steam for now is most useful for industry. We might, for example, make rifling easier by the use of machine tools, or the stamping of cannonballs easier, but overall it isn't of much direct help on the battlefield.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »

well if we get steam we have access to build lots of transport and weaponry types since resource we get will help lower cost of everything. Plus with the wagon way the loyalist have they are going to be getting second resource which means they can build and produce more stuff.

My thought is if we succeed in theft of loyalist ship we could spend next design making all purpose steam engine then use revise to create more advance version of their ship, we could use steal to take their wagons way giving us extra resource then spend next design getting loctomotive and revising our ship creating a variation for transport which would give us access to three extra resources.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:16:16 pm by flazeo25 »

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2015, 08:05:32 pm »

well if we get steam we have access to build lots of transport and weaponry types since resource we get will help lower cost of everything. Plus with the wagon way the loyalist have they are going to be getting second resource which means they can build and produce more stuff.

My thought is if we succeed in theft of loyalist ship we could spend next design making all purpose steam engine then use revise to create more advance version of their ship, we could use steal to take their wagons way giving us extra resource then spend next design getting loctomotive and revising our ship creating a variation for transport which would give us access to three extra resources.
I think wI nshould give up on steam till the 1800s

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2015, 08:26:04 pm »

No we literally cannot design steam engines to go on ships. The pressure and therefore power:weight ratio is too low.
We could totally have a go at rail/cartways though. Horses can pull carts and later could be easily retrofitted for locomotives. It could technically even use steam engines now as a sort of cable railway, since we don't have to worry about the weight of the powering engine in that case.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »

No we literally cannot design steam engines to go on ships. The pressure and therefore power:weight ratio is too low.
We could totally have a go at rail/cartways though. Horses can pull carts and later could be easily retrofitted for locomotives. It could technically even use steam engines now as a sort of cable railway, since we don't have to worry about the weight of the powering engine in that case.

This engine would powerful enough too be use on much bigger boat  if needed and we can just steal loyalist wagons if we want carts. weight isnt much of factor when it comes to steam engine since they make up for it and most will be invented quickly.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2015, 07:04:48 am »

This engine would powerful enough too be use on much bigger boat
To be used on a bigger ship, the engine has to be bigger. If the engine is bigger, it is heavier. If the engine is heavier, it's much less likely that the ship will actually float.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2015, 08:45:32 am »

This engine would powerful enough too be use on much bigger boat
To be used on a bigger ship, the engine has to be bigger. If the engine is bigger, it is heavier. If the engine is heavier, it's much less likely that the ship will actually float.

ships float cause of vast space air can flow too since it gives them buyoance, majority of steam engines were tall and heavy.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2015, 09:26:35 am »

Are you familiar with the square-cube law? I am reasonably sure that applies here. As volume (and therefore mass) is cubed, the force exerted on the piston is only squared. So to move the same sized ship your engine has to be larger relative to it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2015, 11:31:42 am »

The problem is finding a hull which can safely contain a steam engine, have some way for it to spew out its power, and somehow the vessel must be seaworthy, at the same time that the engine must be useful enough.

Such technology did not exist for another half century.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »

The problem is finding a hull which can safely contain a steam engine, have some way for it to spew out its power, and somehow the vessel must be seaworthy, at the same time that the engine must be useful enough.

No steam tech comes very quickly, and just building a engine would speed it up, the loyalist ship would well be able to handle one since their were large steam engines put onto tiny boats. ships like this North River steamboat or Charlotte Dundas were built in 1803 and 1807 which is only around 20 years away. plus their were canal version made by William Symington in 1789 which only shut down due to fault with paddle wheel not being strong enough.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 29, 2015, 04:34:17 pm »

No steam tech comes very quickly, and just building a engine would speed it up, the loyalist ship would well be able to handle one since their were large steam engines put onto tiny boats. ships like this North River steamboat or Charlotte Dundas were built in 1803 and 1807 which is only around 20 years away. plus their were canal version made by William Symington in 1789 which only shut down due to fault with paddle wheel not being strong enough.

I agree that steam power for transport is not far off. My question is "How will steam power make our military ships better?". I think the answer is that it won't until we have things like explosive shells and armor plates. We tried to build a steamboat and it didn't work out, so I feel like we should change course and work mostly on artillery because it will be of use both on land and at sea, and offers a chance to erase the Confederacy's advantage in rifles.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:14 pm »

I agree that steam power for transport is not far off. My question is "How will steam power make our military ships better?". I think the answer is that it won't until we have things like explosive shells and armor plates. We tried to build a steamboat and it didn't work out, so I feel like we should change course and work mostly on artillery because it will be of use both on land and at sea, and offers a chance to erase the Confederacy's advantage in rifles.

I agree. Upgrading our artillery could prove beneficial. I would like to continue improving our rifle though.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2015, 05:09:37 pm »

Well main reason I want steam engine is so we can build transport types for more resources, and for exlosives one of our howzits has low exlosives.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2015, 09:44:07 pm »

A Message from the Richards Palace of the Glorious Atterton Monarchy to the Grand Engineering Hall, January 1, 1782

Great Engineers!  Your most recent designs have brought us great victory upon our front lines!  While your advisement about Port Silver proved to be wrong, the retaking of the lands eaten by the heinous Lord Coombe is a great boon!  All thanks to our new artillery!  Granted, his glorious majesty was quite displeased with our navy being completely crushed by the Loyalist scum, we have assured him that you are working on a solution to retaliate against this act.

Sad news comes from the Hall of Secrets.  They had been unable to provide us with the designs of the Loyalist ships.  However, they did spot one of those savages of the Confederacy taking something from the Loyalist vaults, so not all is lost.  We are unsure as to what was taken, just that it had been removed and the alert sounded by our spy in order to get the barbarian captured was unsuccessful.

All of that is behind us, though!  We look forwards to seeing what you provide our armies with this coming year!

Begin 1782 Design Phase
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1782 Design Phase
« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »

Well heres a design for a steam engine if anyone wants.

Spoiler: AM- Vee Engine (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35