Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1782 Revision Phase  (Read 33527 times)

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1781 Revision Phase
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »

flazeo I think you fucked up your quoting.
But trying to read through what you're typing, the steam boat is a different case from the howitz. The howitz is just a problem of refining the design through experimentation, the steam boat is inherently flawed.
So what do you guys want to do?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:29 pm »

Get the fuses for spherical cases close enough to right. Experiment with shape (conical is apparently very good, stops the fuse getting blasted into the shell and lighting the charge too soon), thickness, gunpowder mixtures used, what it's wrapped in, etc.
That way we have a fully functional howitzer and 12 lb ammunition for it and we can move on to other things.

EDIT: I can't hide my mistake due to being quoted, so you can see that my shame is preserved forever.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:14:38 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »

Get the fuses for spherical cases close enough to right. Experiment with shape (conical is apparently very good, stops the fuse getting blasted into the shell and lighting the charge too soon), thickness, gunpowder mixtures used, what it's wrapped in, etc.
That way we have a fully functional mortar and 12 lb ammunition for it and we can move on to other things.
We would have to design a mortar for that, lets do a revision first

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2015, 05:08:35 pm »

Sorry about quata pyramid, this my thought is getting locomotive set up in 1783 or 84 design phase depending how this year goes, if we manage steal the loyalist ship london ship we could make general purpose steam engine for next design  to use for both the boat and locomotive and upgrading our factories, with that we could use next revise phase to change the ship by giving it the steam engine we made and replacing its cannons with mounted howtizs?

As for this revise I thought we could fuses on the spherical cases, make howtiz able to mount on boats as well and try to make exlosive works.

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »

Sorry about quata pyramid, this my thought is getting locomotive set up in 1783 or 84 design phase depending how this year goes, if we manage steal the loyalist ship london ship we could make general purpose steam engine for next design  to use for both the boat and locomotive and upgrading our factories, with that we could use next revise phase to change the ship by giving it the steam engine we made and replacing its cannons with mounted howtizs?

As for this revise I thought we could fuses on the spherical cases, make howtiz able to mount on boats as well and try to make exlosive works.
Why don't we try to fix the shells on the howitzer to get the spherical and explosive rounds working?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »

I meant howitzer, not mortar. Lapse in thought, sorry. Though there's no reason that a howitzer couldn't also function as a mortar.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2015, 05:16:38 pm »

I meant howitzer, not mortar. Lapse in thought, sorry. Though there's no reason that a howitzer couldn't also function as a mortar.
Mortars are entirely different things, although they were around back then, we could make one next turn if we wanted

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2015, 06:43:39 pm »

Mortars are entirely different things
A mortar is a weapon that fires explosive projectiles known as (mortar) bombs at low velocities, short ranges, and high-arcing ballistic trajectories. It is typically muzzle-loading with a short, often smoothbore, barrel, generally less than 15 times its caliber.
If you wanted to for whatever reason, you could definitely fire a howitzer on a high trajectory.

We might want mortars later if we want to try and properly take one of the independent cities on the mountains, but for now we're okay with direct fire.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »

Mortars are entirely different things
A mortar is a weapon that fires explosive projectiles known as (mortar) bombs at low velocities, short ranges, and high-arcing ballistic trajectories. It is typically muzzle-loading with a short, often smoothbore, barrel, generally less than 15 times its caliber.
If you wanted to for whatever reason, you could definitely fire a howitzer on a high trajectory.

We might want mortars later if we want to try and properly take one of the independent cities on the mountains, but for now we're okay with direct fire.
So should we just fix the shells for the howitz?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2015, 06:58:03 pm »

That's the thing I've been saying and apparently I bullied flaz into agreeing with me. I'm not so in favour of low explosive shells though, since they're much more useful on ships than on the ground, and their safety issues are more inherent to packing a lot of gunpowder into a ball.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2015, 07:03:40 pm »

That's the thing I've been saying and apparently I bullied flaz into agreeing with me. I'm not so in favour of low explosive shells though, since they're much more useful on ships than on the ground, and their safety issues are more inherent to packing a lot of gunpowder into a ball.
We could probably use it as a port defense weapon to shoot at ships.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2015, 07:20:11 pm »

Well thats what the revise howtiz for, since both ammos could hopefully be gained from it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »

AM-R-II 12 pounder Howit - A variant of the AM-R that weights slightly over a ton. Its bore has been modified to be able to effectively use case and low explosive shot. However, this comes at a cost that neither ball or canister ammunition can be used with the gun.  The effective range of the cannon is 600 meters for the case shot and 450 meters for the explosive shot. (Very Expensive)

Tech Gained:
Explosive Shot
Case Shot

Looks like you landed with the other side of the coin with this one...

Production Phase Begin
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Snake1229

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1781 Production Phase
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »

Let's focus production on the cannon

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Atterton Monarchy -1781 Production Phase
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:35 pm »

Let's focus production on the cannon
+1 so both cannons have short and long range ammo type, thats not too bad. version 2 seems good for land use while version one seems good for naval or costial use.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:29:08 pm by flazeo25 »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35