Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Espionage Phase  (Read 24086 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1780 Revision Phase
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

The expensive part comes more from the effort put in to so that, for the most part, multiple shot don't go through at once and jam the gun.

Does that mean the the rifle is Very Expensive because it has two expensive parts?

On making the rifle more durable lets:
Make the stock go around the reservoir and have a big cut out for replacing them.
Cover the reservoirs with leather to protect them form drops.
Make the reservoir out of bronze so they will bulge before cracking.

As for cheaper,

We can replace the magazine with a Falling-block action.
Troopers will simply move the block and open the beach, put in a ball and close it before fireing.

This gets rid of entire magazine and lets the rife be loaded with out any of the waveing it about.
It will take a little longer but not any longer than primeing a musket pan.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 06:01:30 pm »

Revision
Try to rationalize the Victoria rifle to make it sturdier and cheaper. A wheel with paddles inside the end of the magazine ensures that shots chamber properly and that only one can be chambered at a time, and the nicely crafted air reservoir are to be replaced by a cruder but cheap and sturdy replacement that can be screwed on or off to "reload" the rifle. Add metal handle to the side of the magazine. The soldier pulls back the handle to turn the wheel, allowing the ball to fall. Once the ball has fallen, the soldier returns the handle, or "bolt" to its original position, and is ready to fire.

This way, we don't have to worry about jamming, and we can keep up the same high rate-of-fire. Plus, we'll have invented an extremely simple bolt-action rifle.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 09:48:22 pm »

Revision
Try to rationalize the Victoria rifle to make it sturdier and cheaper. A wheel with paddles inside the end of the magazine ensures that shots chamber properly and that only one can be chambered at a time, and the nicely crafted air reservoir are to be replaced by a cruder but cheap and sturdy replacement that can be screwed on or off to "reload" the rifle.

+1 to this. Other variants are too complex for a revision phase
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 10:05:43 pm »

Revision
Try to rationalize the Victoria rifle to make it sturdier and cheaper. A wheel with paddles inside the end of the magazine ensures that shots chamber properly and that only one can be chambered at a time, and the nicely crafted air reservoir are to be replaced by a cruder but cheap and sturdy replacement that can be screwed on or off to "reload" the rifle.
This looks like it'll fix the biggest problems quite nicely.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:08:47 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:21 pm »

BTW, are we sure that there are no other ways to spend our revision phase?

After all, our rifle is rather good for specialized uses
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 11:00:33 pm »

I suppose a carbine version of the brown bess would be a fairly low-risk move. We'd be able to field dragoons that way instead of just light sword-armed cavalry, which could honestly be quite useful. I could see a couple revisions that would make our gunboats more effective, like copper bottoms, but I don't know very much about navy stuff. We could also get cannister shot for our cannon, but that might require a design.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:28 pm »

Also, we can improve carriage for logistics or breed new kind of horses.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:28 am »

Overall though, I think using our revision + production on the Victoria, and having a good, repeating firearm by the late 18th century would be an achievement worth spending the revision on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:30 am »

Man that thing has two major flaws, I propose we work on redesigning one at a time like you are doing.

The compressed gas containers we are using are difficult to make with current metalworking techniques and they break easily, maybe instead of reworking them with bronze, we could add steel braces around the outside then a thin outer container of bronze around that to provide another protective layer.

We could make a lightly armed merchant ship for transporting cargo, no need to go steam right away for our ships if we can get experience building larger vessels instead before making warships.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 04:25:18 pm »

Right, so it sounds like we're all for this one?

Revision
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 04:34:04 pm »

Yeah, might work. Not so sure about the paddlewheel though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »

Revision

Yep. By the way, if this revision works and we can get this down to cheap, I'd like to propose a major offensive on the western plains. I think we can slaughter the bandit-king's troops if we fight in a skirmish line with these things, unless they got a great design in.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 09:54:56 pm »

Can you explain how the paddlewheel works?  I'm trying to visualize it, but I can't see how it works.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 10:11:47 pm »

The way I pictured it was as a metal wheel with paddles, like a waterwheel, in the spot where the magazine feeds rounds into the chamber. The bottom of the wheel is exposed so the soldier can turn it. Inside the magazine, it traps the ball closest to the chamber between two of the paddles, to hold it steady and to prevent more than one ball entering the chamber at once and jamming it, like a revolving door. When the user turns the wheel the ball that's already in the locked position drops down into the chamber, and the next ball in line takes it's place.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:00 am »

If I understand correctly, it looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23