Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Capitalism  (Read 4783 times)

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
  • monopoly money counterfeiter
    • View Profile
Roll to Capitalism
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:14 am »

The year is 1870. You are a relatively rich, relatively privileged person with relatively big dreams living in a relatively western nation. In your wisdom, you have elected to use your small pile of money to start a business. The success or failure of your business will rely on your decision making skill, your business acumen and a not-insignificant helping of co-operative dice. Fill in the sheet below to get started. Some silliness is fine, but try and keep things relatively believable.

Your Name:
Your Country of Origin:
Your Desired Business:

Current Players: 6/6
NRDL (Jeremiah Nix)
penguinofhonor (Tecla Travieso)
SaberToothTiger (Dietrich Haas)
tntey (John Tourque)
Dustan Hache (Dustan Hache)
Toaster (Winston Williamsford)

Waitlist:
crazyabe (Unspecified)
Coolrune206 (Elizabeth Portmanteau)

Current Date: 2nd Quarter, 1870
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:56:48 am by Veritas »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:24:50 am »

Your Name: Jeremiah Nix
Your Country of Origin: America
Your Desired Business: Retail Butchers
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:40:35 am »

Name: Tecla Travieso
Your Country of Origin: Spain, but living in America
Your Desired Business: Tire factory

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:12:43 am »

Your Name: Dietrich Haas.
Your Country of Origin: Prussia, soon to be Germany.
Your Desired Business: A small arms factory.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:08:12 am »

Name: John Tourque
Origin: America
Desired business: Garments and clothing
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »

Your Name: Dustan Hache
Your Desired Business: Convenience store/General store
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:46:35 pm »

Your Name:  Winston Williamsford
Your Country of Origin: England
Your Desired Business: Oil!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »

Your Name: Jeremiah Nix
Your Desired Business: Retail Butchers
[4] You are Jeremiah Nix, a member of the fledgling middle class living in the victorious northern states of the USA. You already own a cattle ranch and you have some knowledge of how to get started, so establishing yourself in the meat packaging and preparation business shouldn't be terribly difficult for you.

Name: Tecla Travieso
Your Country of Origin: Spain, but living in America
Your Desired Business: Tire factory
[2] You are Tecla Travieso, a Spanish immigrant to the prosperous USA. You were forced to leave your home country after your fledgling business in the colonies failed and debt collectors came after you, but now, with your modest personal savings and business knowledge intact, you're ready to begin anew in the land of the free. You hope your poor English will suffice for now.

Your Name: Dietrich Haas.
Your Country of Origin: Prussia, soon to be Germany.
Your Desired Business: A small arms factory.
[5] You are Dietrich Haas, proud progeny of the wealthy Haas aristocratic house. The men of your family are all cavalrymen by trade, and you were no different. Now that you've served your term and put down your rifle and sabre, you're looking into setting yourself up in a business that will support the men of your former trade. With the riches of your family backing you, you've plenty of room for error.

Name: John Tourque
Origin: America
Desired business: Garments and clothing
[4] You are John Tourque, a resident of the Southern states. You got your start in the garments business making uniforms for confederate soldiers in your cellar, but now that the civil war is long over, you're considering putting your skills back to use in civilian industry. You already have a tidy pile of liquid cash and some basic materials needed for sewing and darning.

Your Name: Dustan Hache
Your Desired Business: Convenience store/General store
[4] You are Dustan Hache, a resident of America's ever-growing western frontier. Though you initially began your trade as the owner of a general store in a tiny frontier town, you sold it off and moved on once the settlement grew into a proper American township. Now, however, you're ready to get back to work serving the goods, and you've got enough money and expertise to make it happen.

Your Name:  Winston Williamsford
Your Country of Origin: England
Your Desired Business: Oil!
[1] You are Winston Williamsford, and you've seen better days. Though you always wanted to style yourself above your class, there's no hiding that you were the son of a factory worker. Life with eight hungry siblings (five by the time you moved out) was taxing, and even though you've got a job digging for oil-rich shale in the Scottish valleys, you look set to continue the life of poverty your family has long been stuck in. You've got big dreams, however, and you're going to make the best of them.

Feel free to post your first actions as businessmen now (though it may be a while before Toaster and penguinofhonour can really call themselves businessmen). Things will mostly be decided by dice, but sound business decisions and playing safely will minimize the effects of bad rolls and maximize good ones.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »

Well, better start working with what I do have!  If I want to even consider advancement, I must take charge.  Charm and impress (yes-man if I must) the owner of the shale field.  Get myself into a management position so as to gain leverage in the area.  And hopefully a better salary.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

((Open to more players?))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:46:15 pm »

((Open to more players?))
(Six is the current maximum, sorry. I'll put you on a waitlist and message you if someone goes under.)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:49:09 pm »

Grand. Such a noble country is in need of high quality weaponry. That's where I come in.
I invest a significant amount of my Vereinsthalers to set up manufacturing facilities, producing an elegant sidearm to cavalrymen, artillerists and officers. It is stylish and effective, combining beauty with practicality.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:28 pm »

to start off, I need to find some good buildings to set up in. they need to be near a medium traffic area, and preferably in a low crime area. after that, I'll pick one based on pricing and factors and start setting up shop.
Search for buildings for sale, and investigate their locations/communitys.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »

Ah, America. The land of prosperity. I really should have come here in the first place. Oh well. With no time to waste, I begin searching for a building to open a tire store in. Preferably near a busy road, but I'll take the best I can get within my modest budget.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 10:24:05 pm »

Waitlist please :)
Your Name: Elizabeth Portmanteau
Your Country of Origin: Canada
Your Desired Business: Syrup production and export
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4