Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Capitalism  (Read 4826 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Capitalism
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:57 am »

I've got the meat, all ready to be packed and delivered.  First, I need men to kill and cut them up ( I'm assuming my character doesn't know how to do that himself )  Start putting out feelers for any skilled butchers in the area.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:52 am »

Start hiring people. Buy five machines for the five new workers to work at. Look for anyone who needs clothes made In bulk.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
  • monopoly money counterfeiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 09:08:25 am »

Current date: 1st April, 1870 (start of 2nd fiscal quarter)
Notable events in past quarter: None

Well, better start working with what I do have!  If I want to even consider advancement, I must take charge.  Charm and impress (yes-man if I must) the owner of the shale field.  Get myself into a management position so as to gain leverage in the area.  And hopefully a better salary.
[1] You manage to severely offend the foreman of the shale mine and he fires you on the spot. Not only does this mean the loss of your job, it also means the loss of the worker's house that you were residing in. You're going to have to either find alternate employment - preferably before you starve to death - or consider another course of action.

Grand. Such a noble country is in need of high quality weaponry. That's where I come in.
I invest a significant amount of my Vereinsthalers to set up manufacturing facilities, producing an elegant sidearm to cavalrymen, artillerists and officers. It is stylish and effective, combining beauty with practicality.
[1] You throw a serious amount of your savings into what you believe to be the right things to get your business started, but most of it goes to non-reputable firms and incompetent staff. None of your planned manufacturing sites get past the planning stage, and you see neither a penny of your investments returned nor a single unit of the weapon you poured so much into outlining.

to start off, I need to find some good buildings to set up in. they need to be near a medium traffic area, and preferably in a low crime area. after that, I'll pick one based on pricing and factors and start setting up shop.
Search for buildings for sale, and investigate their locations/communitys.
[5] You find a perfect site in the fledgling city of San Francisco. Sited not far from a busy market square downtown, the two-story brick building can accomodate both you and your business and is for sale at a steal of a price due to the current owner's circumstances. Between the property price and your business set-up price, however, you'll have used up the majority of your starting capital.

Ah, America. The land of prosperity. I really should have come here in the first place. Oh well. With no time to waste, I begin searching for a building to open a tire store in. Preferably near a busy road, but I'll take the best I can get within my modest budget.
[3] For such a fast-growing city, New York doesn't seem to have much in the way of real estate to be purchased - especially not in your modest price range, either. After a good deal of searching and haggling, you finally manage to secure a slightly dilapidated brick building on the city's outskirts. The location isn't too much of an issue, since rubber tires are still something of a niche product that customers will travel some distance to purchase.

I've got the meat, all ready to be packed and delivered.  First, I need men to kill and cut them up ( I'm assuming my character doesn't know how to do that himself )  Start putting out feelers for any skilled butchers in the area.
[4] You expend some capital hiring men to go out and find skilled butchers who aren't already employed, and further money is spent actually hiring them. You end up with a moderately-sized complement of experienced men at your disposal, though it cost you more of your savings than you had initially planned for.

Start hiring people. Buy five machines for the five new workers to work at. Look for anyone who needs clothes made In bulk.
[5] Jobless men aren't hard to come by in the populous southern states, and neither are industrial sewing machines, oddly enough. Within the space of three months, you manage to set up a small workshop. You're now ready to produce clothes to fill your first orders from a budding clothes retail company in Louisiana that'll pay good dollar for your product.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 09:44:00 am »

((Am I tied to my initial business choice, especially if I'm currently penniless, unemployed, and homeless?  I'll give oil one more go first, though.))

There's got to be another shale mine in the area.  Go find it and try to bluff my way into a management position.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 09:50:08 am »

((Am I tied to my initial business choice, especially if I'm currently penniless, unemployed, and homeless?  I'll give oil one more go first, though.))

There's got to be another shale mine in the area.  Go find it and try to bluff my way into a management position.
(You can give something else a shot if this doesn't work out, yeah.)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 09:50:53 am »

Damned frenchies, polacks and austrains. Should have known they would be traitorous. Nations of servants and thieves.
I shall instead hire a reputable gunsmith to design me that sidearm I talked about. This time I will personally look into buying a plot of land near a train station, near a city, preferably in the Ruhr area so that I can get cheap steel. Also, if I get said plot of land I shall build a small factory on it.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 10:05:50 am »

Start making garments! Also look for wealthy investors
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »

Bring in some merchandise (clothing, slow-to-expire snacks, and some unchilled water) and open for business. the sooner I make some cash, the sooner I can start worrying about how I will expand.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 02:29:50 pm »

Hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. I look for a tire distributor or manufacturer to buy stock for my store.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:55 pm »

I'm assuming I have enough cattle to start meat production, so I get my butchers to work killing the non-breeding stock, and preparing them for mass consumption.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 01:41:59 am »

(Seems like some players are getting all the luck! Toaster actually got a third successive 1 on the first roll, but I rerolled it for mercy's sake - even though the second roll wasn't much better. Hopefully, things will swing around for the less fortunate soon.)
Current date: 1st July, 1870 (Start of 3rd fiscal quarter)
Notable events in past quarter: None

[2] Unfortunately, there's very little global demand for oil at the moment, which means equally little demand for shale and little demand for shale miners. You manage to keep yourself alive by doing odd jobs and begging, but it might be time to start looking into other avenues of work if you want to get somewhere.

Damned frenchies, polacks and austrains. Should have known they would be traitorous. Nations of servants and thieves.
I shall instead hire a reputable gunsmith to design me that sidearm I talked about. This time I will personally look into buying a plot of land near a train station, near a city, preferably in the Ruhr area so that I can get cheap steel. Also, if I get said plot of land I shall build a small factory on it.
[3] Your personal touch pays off modestly. The pistol your gunsmith presents to you is nothing to yell about, but it looks nice enough and there's a good chance it'll be picked up by cavalrymen with more money than sense. You manage to locate a few plots of land that local farmers are willing to part with, but none of them are really ideal. You eventually settle for one next to the city of Dortmund, and construction of a small arms manufactory begins in earnest. If all goes to plan, you should be able to pay back this quarter's investments by the end of the year.

Start making garments! Also look for wealthy investors
[6] Your garments are a surprise hit with the retailer who picked them up, with the stock they purchased from you running out in less than a week. Your small cadre of workers clearly won't suffice to meet the demand for your quality linens - and on top of that, a number of local aristocrats and statesmen are eager to buy shares in your fledgling industry. By the time you finish cutting deals with them, you're a few thousand dollars richer, but you've also signed off a good deal of your company to the investors.

Bring in some merchandise (clothing, slow-to-expire snacks, and some unchilled water) and open for business. the sooner I make some cash, the sooner I can start worrying about how I will expand.
[5] You manage to buy a good deal of inexpensive, high-demand merch that'll keep you afloat until the next quarter. The grand opening of Dustan's General Goods attracts a significant portion of the local community, and you shift your cheap stock far faster than you expected. You've got more than enough cash from your profits to buy the same amount of stock more than twice over, if you want, but there's also room for you to beautify the store a little or buy in a higher class of merchandise.

Hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. I look for a tire distributor or manufacturer to buy stock for my store.
[5] As fortune would have it, a nearby rubber tycoon went bust quite recently, and he's selling everything he can at cut-throat rates to avoid total bankruptcy. Though the news bodes poorly for the tire industry as a whole, you manage to secure a significant amount of solid rubber wheels, as well as some tire maintenance equipment and scrap rubber. At the rate that wheels usually sell at, you'll be able to stay in business on this stock alone for over a year - not to mention the tidy profit you'll make, too.

I'm assuming I have enough cattle to start meat production, so I get my butchers to work killing the non-breeding stock, and preparing them for mass consumption.
[3] Your modestly-sized herd is hardly able to sustain its current numbers, but you round up the older bulls nevertheless and send them to the chopping block. Your skilled butchers work to a high standard, but ultimately, there's just not much at all for them to work with. You make a little profit peddling your unimpressive amount of ready-to-eat beef, but you'll have to look into buying in some breeding cattle if you want to really sell big.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 06:28:50 am »

Okay, build up my livestock.  Got it.  Start purchasing non-breeding stock as cheaply as possible from other ranchers in the area.  Get a breeding program from my own stock together.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:53:46 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 06:50:21 am »

Hire more workers. Buy a small warehouse where I can have my workers work. See who my competitors are.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 08:43:28 am »

Hire two store associates(aka general workers), and buy another set of inexpensive merchandice. Lets also open a poll at the checkout to see if we can nail down something that the customers would like to see.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:48:30 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 08:49:19 am »

Oooookkkkayyy... hm.

Right.  Time to head south.  Work with local transport companies (allowing myself to get hired on as a porter if nothing else) to primarily get to London, but secondarily get some business information in the local transport/shipping industry.  London is a busy port; there's money to be made moving goods, both inland and across the Channel.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4