Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Roll to Capitalism  (Read 4807 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Capitalism
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 10:22:21 am »

Better. I shalt exact revenge on those Frenchmen for cheating me... soon. They shall not know the day nor night, but the weak minds shalt see my glorious ride of vengeance.
Grand. Now, I pay a small bonus to the gunsmith and tell him to design a breech loaded carbine, as those will be good for cavalrymen. Preferably something with a sizeable internal magazine, short and accurate. I shall also contact my old friends in the officer corps and offer them the best "Reiter Pistolen Modell Eins", in short RP-m1, (the elegant pistol I designed) for free. In exchange, I ask them to spread the word that officers and cavalrymen can get a good weapon for a reasonable price from me.
Additionally, I shall introduce strict discipline in my factory to reduce damaged weaponry and to maximize production. The managing positions shall be open to the most able, and not the most connected.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 02:07:11 pm »

Great, I got my stock. Now I just have to build a clientele. I purchase some newspaper advertisements for my store.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
  • monopoly money counterfeiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 02:44:16 pm »

Current date: 1st October, 1870 (Start of 4th quarter)
Relevant events in past quarter: Outbreak of hostilities between France and a confederation of German stated headed by Prussia. Most generals predict a drawn-out conflict, likely to end in a French victory.

Okay, build up my livestock.  Got it.  Start purchasing non-breeding stock as cheaply as possible from other ranchers in the area.  Get a breeding program from my own stock together.
[1] Most of your local contacts don't have any heads of cattle to spare, but one shady-looking rancher seems very eager to shift a few of his old bulls at a very low price. It's only after they've been in your flock for a few weeks that you discover they carry a contagious and deadly livestock disease that kills off a sizeable portion of your herd before you can quarantine and cull the infected cattle. Effectively, your herd can no longer sustain itself and you've spent precious dollars for no good reason.

Hire more workers. Buy a small warehouse where I can have my workers work. See who my competitors are.
[5] Word of your success has gotten around town, and there's no shortage of eager men and women looking to partake in your fair wages and lucrative work. You spend a portion of your significant savings on a new building for your enlarged workforce to inhabit, the returns on which you should start seeing by the next quarter. As for competition, there are a few local businesses that roughly match yours in size, but at the rate you're growing and selling, you'll out-compete them in a matter of months.

Hire two store associates(aka general workers), and buy another set of inexpensive merchandice. Lets also open a poll at the checkout to see if we can nail down something that the customers would like to see.
[2] You try to repeat your success with the basic sundries that you started off with, but demand seems to have dried up faster than a puddle in the Californian sunlight. You still have enough cash to hire and pay a couple of inexperienced young men to do odd jobs around the store, but your budget outlook for the next quarter is going to take a serious downturn. To make matters worse, the miniscule footfall in your store this quarter means that your poll collected no meaningful data. You'll have to either work out why nobody is buying your product, or take a chance and branch out into something that isn't already saturating the market.

Oooookkkkayyy... hm.

Right.  Time to head south.  Work with local transport companies (allowing myself to get hired on as a porter if nothing else) to primarily get to London, but secondarily get some business information in the local transport/shipping industry.  London is a busy port; there's money to be made moving goods, both inland and across the Channel.
[5] Your luck finally seems to shine when you turn your attention away from the cursed business of oil. Signing on with a national rail company, you nab a position as a first-class porter and ride the trains up and down the country for the entire quarter, making friends and accruing income and tips the whole time. You overhear from a number of travelling factory owners and statesmen that the shipping industry in England is booming at this time, which explains your success in signing on with the train company. By the time you arrive at London, ready to depart, the company is willing to offer you a more senior position. However, you've also accrued enough savings to strike out on your own. It's your decision.

Better. I shalt exact revenge on those Frenchmen for cheating me... soon. They shall not know the day nor night, but the weak minds shalt see my glorious ride of vengeance.
Grand. Now, I pay a small bonus to the gunsmith and tell him to design a breech loaded carbine, as those will be good for cavalrymen. Preferably something with a sizeable internal magazine, short and accurate. I shall also contact my old friends in the officer corps and offer them the best "Reiter Pistolen Modell Eins", in short RP-m1, (the elegant pistol I designed) for free. In exchange, I ask them to spread the word that officers and cavalrymen can get a good weapon for a reasonable price from me.
Additionally, I shall introduce strict discipline in my factory to reduce damaged weaponry and to maximize production. The managing positions shall be open to the most able, and not the most connected.
[6] Your hired smith must have been galvanised by the money you greased his palm with, since the product he brings before you a few months later leaves very little to be desired. Light, mobile and easy to fire and reload on the move, your new carbine is the perfect gun for a proud Prussian horseman - and it looks damn good, too. The duly-named 'RP-m1' pistol you designed, despite being mediocre in most regards, also sees a spike in demand as generals from various German states comb private industries for last-minute additions to their arsenals as they prepare to march on France. Your new carbine won't be manufactured in sufficient number before the next quarter, but provided the war is still going on by then, it'll surely net you massive amounts of profit. Your careful micromanagement of your sole arms plant ensures that it cranks out the pistol you created at maximum efficiency. Things are certainly looking up for your business and bank balance, but your success hasn't gone un-noticed by jealous German competitors and infuriated French statesmen. They may be tempted to hamper your progress if you become too big of a player in the European arms industry.

Great, I got my stock. Now I just have to build a clientele. I purchase some newspaper advertisements for my store.
[6] You purchase advertising space in local newspapers. You also purchase it in international newspapers, and local posters, and street signs... before you realise it, you've spent a good deal of your capital advertising a niche product to an audience that, for the most part, won't be interested. Still, at least the people who are interested find out that you exist. Your first customers start rolling in before the quarter ends.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »

Take the offer.  Use it as a chance to build up a network of contacts; rail's already big business, and having a few friends is a good thing.  Plus, hey, a little extra scratch.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

Continue doing what I am doing. Create a small store that sells our garments.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 04:47:26 pm »

Ha! The filthy mongrels see the glory of German arms and plan to stab me in the back!? We'll see who is the one with the knife at the end.
I shall go to the patent office and make sure that all my current inventions are my trademarked. Also, I shall hire the gunsmith that created the rifle to work exclusively for me. I shall also give him a sizeable bonus for his genius.

More importantly, now I shall also experiment with bullets made completely out of metal. I shall tell my gunsmith to create a weapon using said cartridge. If the tests prove successful, I shall patent the cartridge's design.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

Good thing I saved some of that money up by only purchasing one batch of goods. Get rid of and replace any stock that may have spoiled, and start investigating what has been going on since my store opened. Continue selling any unspoilable stock until it is gone before buying more.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:33:46 am »

There have been a couple hiccups, but I think this business is almost off the ground. I look for employees to work in my store.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 01:52:13 am »

Start buying breeding cattle, put butchering and production on hold

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Veritas

• Bay Watcher
  • monopoly money counterfeiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 04:14:42 am »

Current date: 1st January, 1871
Relevant events in past quarter: The Franco-Prussian War swings decisively in favour of the North German Confederation, with the French emperor Napoleon III captured in battle and French armies defeated at every turn. The paralysed French government collapses and the French Third Republic is proclaimed. With the key territory of Alsace-Lorraine under German control, the Prussian emperor Bismarck seems very close to his goal of a truly unified German nation.

Take the offer.  Use it as a chance to build up a network of contacts; rail's already big business, and having a few friends is a good thing.  Plus, hey, a little extra scratch.
[4] You are quickly placed in a low-level managerial position, directing passenger trains around the web-like array of rails passing around and through the British capital. Though some look down on you due to your upbringing in poverty, you nevertheless manage to get in the good books of a few of your fellow managers, as well as one of the company's main investors. The wages aren't half bad, either, and by the time Christmas rolls around, you've finally got enough money to celebrate it properly for the first time in your life.

Continue doing what I am doing. Create a small store that sells our garments.
[3] The local property market seems to have run dry, since you can't find any more locations to purchase and turn into manufactories. You do settle on a small buildings in a nearby town, which you turn into a factory shop that sells your products directly. Profits, for the most part, seem to be quite slight for this quarter.

Ha! The filthy mongrels see the glory of German arms and plan to stab me in the back!? We'll see who is the one with the knife at the end.
I shall go to the patent office and make sure that all my current inventions are my trademarked. Also, I shall hire the gunsmith that created the rifle to work exclusively for me. I shall also give him a sizeable bonus for his genius.

More importantly, now I shall also experiment with bullets made completely out of metal. I shall tell my gunsmith to create a weapon using said cartridge. If the tests prove successful, I shall patent the cartridge's design.
[5] Your gunsmith is more than happy to accept your money and a permanent position in your company. He listens to your ideas about new cartridges with interest, and agrees to look into manufacturing some sort of prototype that can field these new bullets effectively. His research should be complete by the end of the quarter. Meanwhile, Bismarck's forces are singing the praises of your new carbine, which has finally been produced in sufficient numbers to be sold to the state. Though the long-ranged French infantry rifles dominated skirmishes for the most part, your cavalry carbine helped to ensure the superiority of Prussian horsemen once the distance was closed. You quickly patent the design, which will help keep the grubby fingers of competitors away, and your huge profits more than make up for this quarter's extra expenses.

Good thing I saved some of that money up by only purchasing one batch of goods. Get rid of and replace any stock that may have spoiled, and start investigating what has been going on since my store opened. Continue selling any unspoilable stock until it is gone before buying more.
[2] Your recent decline has shown few signs of letting up. Though your investigation into the matter turns up nothing specific, you can only assume that competition in the area has increased significantly. The brief spike in sales around the Christmas season helps to keep you afloat, though, and by the new year, you're not too far out of pocket.

There have been a couple hiccups, but I think this business is almost off the ground. I look for employees to work in my store.
[4] A few newly-immigrated fellow Spaniards are intrigued by your new business, and you hire them at an agreeable wage. Their English isn't much better than yours and they aren't very experienced, but these two issues should smooth out over time. Your total capital is very low at the moment, but your profits are increasing and you should be in a comfortable position soon, if all goes to plan.

Start buying breeding cattle, put butchering and production on hold
[1] You put what little cash you have left into repairing the damage of last quarter's events, but it seems that the disease that tormented your herd has also spread around the state. The price of healthy breeding cattle has spiked horrendously. By the time you've just barely got enough of them together to sustain your herd, you've accumulated some debt and you're forced to lay off a good deal of your butchers. You're going to need to make money somehow in the next quarter to stave off bankruptcy, but your herd can't survive too much butchering yet.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 05:49:13 am »

((I have really good luck this game. Damn.))
Grand. It is time to expand.
I invest some of my Vereinsthalers to open up large shops in Berlin, Breslau, New York, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago and Vienna, and smaller ones in London, Paris, Istanbul, Rome, Richmond, Madrid, Prague and Moscow. I shall also build another factory to satisfy the demand, this time in Düsseldorf.

I check up on the research. I shall patent the round, if it's successful I shall open up some factories to produce that and pay experts to try and experiment with upgrades. The bullet will come in four forms: pistol (the smallest and lightes), rifle (the longest and widest), carbine (shorter but wider than rifle) and Zwischen Flugkörper, for short ZF (which is something between the pistol and rifle round).

If I have reasonable amounts of money left remaining, I shall pay my gunsmith expert to design a weapon for each of the rounds (the pistol would be called RP-m2 and be a direct improval to RP-m1, the carbine would be the excellent one he built earlier adapted to the new round, the rifle would be something that an entire infantry army can be equipped with, so cheap, accurate, with a large firepower, so with a big magazine {let's say versions with 5 or 10 rounds}). The ZF bullet would be experimented with, to check whether would it have potential.

I dub the successful carbine Kavalleriewaffe 1870.
I name the new projects in this turn: RP-m2 the new pistol, Kaiserlich Scharfschütze Gewehr the new rifle, Kavalleriewaffe 1871, and the experimental round weapon REBEc.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 06:12:25 am »

Start wheeling and dealing with every potential investor in the state, make a bunch of promises, saying how with the recent epidemic my "stable" and "thriving" herd will provide the best meat and business.  Keep focusing on breeding these ****ing cows.

I need a stable supply, Oh RNG god, have mercy...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 06:51:57 am »

Put up ads for my garment shop.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:32 am »

Excellent.  We're almost ready to strike out.

Court the investor.  Let him know I have a vision for a unified transport network; combining rail, ship, and local deliveries, so that one company is responsible for seeing a package from its starting point all the way to its destination.  Passengers who switch lines- rail or sail- will stay in the same greater network.  All this under one umbrella.

Also send some money back home.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:49 am »

Attempt to locate my competitors in the local area. see what they're doing, and attempt to mimic their actions to some extent.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4