Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Sam Fisher Vampire  (Read 1031 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
The Sam Fisher Vampire
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:48:35 am »

Long story short, I knew there was a vampire in my fort, but I couldn't figure out who.  And I sure as HELL wasn't gonna k-select every single damn dwarf to figure out which one had the longest portion of blue text.

So, since biting people's necks is a crime, I figured I'd need witnesses.  I forbade the entire bedroom complex, constructed a handful of beds in a communal room, and stationed by military in there.  Should my vamp come around, he'll have 10+ people staring at him as he does the act.

Meanwhile I k-select a few dwarves on the off-chance I find my purchase, and bingo!  I nickname my prime suspect accordingly, and track him.  Sure enough, one fine day he goes 'On Break' in bright teal text rather than dark deal.  There's my perp!

He struts into the communal bedroom like he owns the place, gives a few pats on the back of my military, exchanges a few "Hey you o'ight mate", then proceeds to casually bend over and chomp down on the first sleeping dwarf, in plain sight of everyone.  And with the act done, he waltzes out without opposition.

Shuri: "Uh, guys, did you see anything unusual happening recently?"

Military: "Eh, naw, mate.  Nothin' to report."

Shuri: "And the dwarf who bit the other guy a minute ago, what about him, eh?"

Military: "What dwarf?"

Shuri: "...Oh fuck all you guys."

I'm not sure what I did wrong here.  I had every condition united to make "the fort" catch my suspect in the act, he did it in plain sight of well over a dozen dwarves... and nobody reacted.  At all.  Even stranger: the victim didn't die.

I'm at a loss.  I've officially given up on the vamp and prepared an unfortunate accident for him, but for next time, what more am I supposed to do to get the fort's population to point out who the vampire is, fairly and squarely, without me resorting to god-almighty-player tactics?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sam Fisher Vampire
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:32 am »

I can give you a few guesses:
- The victim didn't die, so there was no murder committed, hence no witnesses.
- If I remember correctly, it's known that (very) healthy victims can survive vampire attacks. A guess is that's the same dorfs that can survive having all their body fat melted off.
- I never bother with the "justice" system. I check all immigrants for known clues (and I'll see the kill list that's a cheat give away when checking for military abilities for potential militia recruitment in DT, so *I* know I've got a vamp on my hands, but I collect clues until I have discovered the vamp using other means). The clues are given on the vampire wiki page. If the number of suspects is low enough I quarantine them until they get thirsty (and thus aren't vamps), or I catch them sleeping (likewise), after which they're let out with an apology. If just about all of them are suspect, I let them in and check for room claiming, and those who haven't claimed a room within a reasonable time are quarantined.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »

I think drinking blood of a dwarf, even without a fatality is still a reportable crime, no?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:37:46 pm »

Guard: "Did I just see you bite that dorf in the neck?"
Vamp: "No sir, I just gave him a deep kiss. I love my fellow dorfs very deeply."
Guard: "OK, my mistake. Sorry to bother you."

Or Sirbug might do the mistake of applying common sense to DF  :P

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:59:25 pm »

I'm at a loss.  I've officially given up on the vamp and prepared an unfortunate accident for him, but for next time, what more am I supposed to do to get the fort's population to point out who the vampire is, fairly and squarely, without me resorting to god-almighty-player tactics?

I thought you were supposed to wall him into a room and assign him to be the manager and bookkeeper?  Then designate a pit overhead to throw goblins into?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:03 am »

That, I did.  I mean this for the next vampire I'll be getting, if any.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »

It's hard to gather witnesses, but I think you can imagine your guard checking dossiers of every person looking for discrepancies as you yourself check their status screen.

Now vampires sentenced to hammering have very amusing tendency to survive and crawl around paralysed. I recommend to make sure they are not in the military or they won't take their gear off.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:05 pm »

- If I remember correctly, it's known that (very) healthy victims can survive vampire attacks. A guess is that's the same dorfs that can survive having all their body fat melted off.

Surviving vampire attacks is a question of the size of the victim and the thirst of the vamp.  Vampires that have gone for a longer time without a drink will drain more blood at once.  A large dwarf being attacked by a well-fed vampire will often survive.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:38 pm »

I generally have a few unsolved crimes around. Just blame him for one of those, and have him executed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0