Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Fortress History: The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost  (Read 6331 times)

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Fortress History: The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:46 pm »

After a lull in the Adventures of Cikul, I have decided on playing in fortress mode and giving you guys kind of a cultural history of a dwarf fortress from the perspective of an omnipresent anthropologist bystander. Here are the specifications for the play through that I want you guys to fill in by replying to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I will try my best to update twice a week at the very least, but I need you guys to participate with suggestions, constructive criticism, etc.

Edit:
Progress
Fortress: Canyonfuture
Date Established: Granite 1, 125
Current Date: Granite 1, 125
Dwarves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/s]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:30:39 pm by contheman »
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

jontiben

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress History
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

I like this idea...

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:03 pm »

Anthropologist Name:
World creation specifics:
    Early in the worlds life for some megabeasts and such.  Few things are sadder than a fort that never has guests.

Embark Specifics:
  Include aquifer - many dorfy things to do around these.  An ocean might be entertaining, but there's only so many times you can open a tunnel into the ocean from the caverns.
  Temporate so you have access to ice, and melting it.
  In your shoes I might try metal sparse or flux-free.

Cultural Specifics:

Fortress Name:

Group: Name:

Starting Party Specifics:

End Goal : ooh, a fort with a purpose.  I like it.  What purpose?  No idea, anybody else have suggestions?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:58:40 am »

PTW, I'll do stuff when it's not late as fuck.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:05:30 am »

Fascinating as well, are you going to try to interact with the world around the fort at any point with an adventurer?

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »

Anthropologist Name:
World creation specifics:
    Early in the worlds life for some megabeasts and such.  Few things are sadder than a fort that never has guests.

Embark Specifics:
  Include aquifer - many dorfy things to do around these.  An ocean might be entertaining, but there's only so many times you can open a tunnel into the ocean from the caverns.
  Temporate so you have access to ice, and melting it.
  In your shoes I might try metal sparse or flux-free.

Cultural Specifics:

Fortress Name:

Group: Name:

Starting Party Specifics:

End Goal : ooh, a fort with a purpose.  I like it.  What purpose?  No idea, anybody else have suggestions?
I always enjoy an early world and the "guests" (fun) the Age of Myth brings.
Never dealt with an aquifer or ocean in fortress mode, but I can always learn.
No metal? Do want a quick demise for the fort?

Fascinating as well, are you going to try to interact with the world around the fort at any point with an adventurer?
Possibly.
Edit: If the fortress survives magnificently or collapses horridly, it might be really fun to revisit as an adventurer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:00:43 pm by contheman »
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »

If if anyone is interested, I could stream the fortress in action via YouTube or Twitch on the weekends to make this even more interactive and do the history write up afterwards.
If at least three of you are interested I'll make an account for either of the sites.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:57:49 pm »

Nope.  There's dwarven arts for extenduing the usefullness of any metal they do have several bars of.

I'm working a fort right now where I picked 'multiple' for shallow and deep metals, but none I've found so far is suitable for making armor.  I'd even settle for copper armor, but no.  I'm going to melt down the two steel crossbows I just got off the humans and start forging/melting corkscrews to turn the two bows into complete sets of steel armor for thirty dwarves.  Such arcane works of forging would be of interest to any anthropologist, and one could have much fun musing how they acomplish this feat.

//Torrenal

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:52 pm »

Nope.  There's dwarven arts for extenduing the usefullness of any metal they do have several bars of.

I'm working a fort right now where I picked 'multiple' for shallow and deep metals, but none I've found so far is suitable for making armor.  I'd even settle for copper armor, but no.  I'm going to melt down the two steel crossbows I just got off the humans and start forging/melting corkscrews to turn the two bows into complete sets of steel armor for thirty dwarves.  Such arcane works of forging would be of interest to any anthropologist, and one could have much fun musing how they acomplish this feat.

//Torrenal
That's hilariously broken.
I thought you were saying to create a fort on an embark with no decent metals or flux. I could do a metal-free fort, but I wouldn't expect them to survive any real challenges, unless they found obsidian to make some macuahuitls (aka stone short swords) and wore the maximum amount of leather and cloth armor.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:15:40 am »

I'm going to melt down the two steel crossbows I just got off the humans and start forging/melting corkscrews to turn the two bows into complete sets of steel armor for thirty dwarves.  Such arcane works of forging would be of interest to any anthropologist, and one could have much fun musing how they acomplish this feat.
That's hilariously broken.
I thought you were saying to create a fort on an embark with no decent metals or flux. I could do a metal-free fort, but I wouldn't expect them to survive any real challenges, unless they found obsidian to make some macuahuitls (aka stone short swords) and wore the maximum amount of leather and cloth armor.
Very broken, but only reason I'm using it in my current fort is I picked 'metals' so I wouldn't be starved for metal weapons or armor, and wound up with silver as my only useful metal.

I see access to a freeze/thaw cycle, aquifer related plumbing, unwelcome guests, and a limited resources forcing arcane dwarven rituals as an entertaining mix of things to give you many different directions to take things, also putting early but (hopefully) light pressure on your dwarves.

If you are new to aquifers, I'd recommend you bring a rock or two for making pumps, and pick a site that has multiple biomes.  In my experience, aquifers don't usually extend beyond their own biome, so if you give up digging through the aquifer you can look for the path around it.

I'm hoping to hear suggestions from others, what I see as entertaining may not apply to everyone else.
//Torrenal

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 09:32:18 am »

I think your vision of a steam-punk viking fortress might be a fun challenge.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 05:23:55 pm »

You could do without metal by making wooden or bone crossbows and using bone bolts. You just need to make sure animals yield more bone than it took to kill them.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »

Would you guys object to the killing of any stuck-up elven merchants who refuse to do business because of their boners for trees and nature?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:20:42 pm by contheman »
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

Would you guys object to the killing of any stuck-up elven merchants who refuse to do business because of their boners for trees and nature?
That's like asking Dwarves if they like alcohol.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »

Nope, elves suck even in adventure mode, their weapons suck and take forever to just kill someone, and fighting the swordself is kinda dumb unless you wanna grind on your skills.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"
Pages: [1] 2