Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 244072 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Culture Shock
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 09:53:11 am »

"Well I've not nothing better in mind. Stealing women's clothing is is!? Also I'm at least twenty, don't call me child."

Fuck it! Let's go see this Monument! Time for a PANTY RAID. Except. Robes.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 02:21:30 pm »

"I would give a world for a cordless drill... Hey, dude. Don't you think the door would be easier to break though? And faster?"

Persuade the grazy guy to change his target. Search the cell for anything that can be used as a tool to drill wood.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

Help the guy escape from the ratsack and help him up.
"Ugh, thought I'd never get out of that damn hole. Thanks and enjoy your rats. Now do you have any idea where I am, what happened, or where I can get some proper clothes?"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:52 pm »

If something is worth putting on a ceiling, it's worth reading. Maybe someone around here could help me figure out what it is. I search the castle for a person to question about the brain ceiling.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Recycled, But Formidable
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:17 am »

"Well I've not nothing better in mind. Stealing women's clothing is is!? Also I'm at least twenty, don't call me child."

Fuck it! Let's go see this Monument! Time for a PANTY RAID. Except. Robes.

"It is not women's clothing, child, but a priest's... hrm, be swift, and I shall do the same," says the priest, letting go of you and taking off at a decent clip straight out the entrance. You take a shortcut and climb through a hole in the wall, finding yourself right next to the monument.

It really does look pretty heretical, and would probably be a ruin if it were complete in the first place. The stones stolen from the chapel are placed haphazardly and supplemented with random bits of wood, all of it cobbled together into a whole that manages to seem dodgier than the sum of its parts. You could describe it as a small dome if you were generous and forgiving of geometric irregularities, with a hole on one side that you think is the entrance. The inside would be pretty dark, but fortunately someone's lit a fire.

Stepping in with care and ducking a little to avoid the low pseudo-arch, you find that the inside of the so-called monument is rather small. Perhaps two full armspans at best. At the center of the room you see a familiar-looking beige stone slab on which a small bowl filled with burning straw illuminates the room in dim firelight and also appears to half-fill it with smoke - thankfully there is at least some ventilation, though you can't readily identify where. Probably made by accident during construction.

On the slab you also spot a robe much like the one the priest was wearing, but unadorned with the sequins of gold - its orange-ish color is not what you'd describe as pleasant. It rests beneath a small pile of gold coins and tiny, delicate rodent bones mixed in roughly equal proportion, serving as a sort of altar cloth.

Behind the altar stands a small, portly, middle-aged woman who might look quite affable in other circumstances. As it is, though, she is covered with the bones and hides of many small animals (although some of the bones do look concerningly larger as well), and the look on her face is unsettlingly purposeful. Fortunately, she's not looking at you. Unfortunately, who she is looking at is a fairly spidery-looking woman wearing a full suit of plate, kneeling before the altar with sword in hand, a shield bearing the image of a coiled worm tied to her back.

"... and so from the bones and blood of His kin the True King shall return in time as history will flow once more. And then we too shall flow even as we now ebb and hide from the foul stoat. The lamentations of their people will carry to the four corners of the world, and the blood of three of their generations shall make the lands they burned and salted fill with vibrant life once more. And so on the fields of Benzerwald the Great House will rise again," the priestess dictates to the knight, who looks up toward her as she concludes what seems to have been a fairly long speech.

"So it will be," the knight replies with an air of ritual in her voice. "The House will continue. Now and forever."

"I would give a world for a cordless drill... Hey, dude. Don't you think the door would be easier to break though? And faster?"

Persuade the grazy guy to change his target. Search the cell for anything that can be used as a tool to drill wood.

The crazy guy continues to pick away at the crack in the exceedingly thick wall for a few moments longer, though your words do bring out a visible frustration in his dark eyes. A few moments pass and he stops, giving a raspy sigh as he walks past you toward the door, still holding the odd tool in his hands. You still have no idea what it's supposed to be - looks like an awl, maybe, but the shape is a little unusual, and you think you make out a few additional prongs, and it appears to be entirely made of metal. It doesn't help that the guy continuously twirls it in his hands, as if afraid to let it come to rest.

As it is, though, he jams it into the door lock, twists slightly, tightens his grip, pushes a little - there's a click and a low whirr. He twists once more, you hear another click. He then puts his other hand on the door and handily pulls it open, revealing a hallway only slightly less dank than the cell you're in. His fingers deftly move along the lockpick/wallpick, removing it from the door. In a single, fluid movement he folds it into a much smaller shape, and almost without missing a beat slips it into his mouth and swallows it. You think he's had a lot of practice at this, honestly.

"This part is easy," he explains as he discreetly pulls the door shut once more and starts to walk back to his corner. You don't think it locks again. "It is the rest that I have trouble with."

Help the guy escape from the ratsack and help him up.
"Ugh, thought I'd never get out of that damn hole. Thanks and enjoy your rats. Now do you have any idea where I am, what happened, or where I can get some proper clothes?"

You pry the vicious ratsack off the poor man, who seems very appreciative and out of breath. The ratsack thrashes wildly, so you pacify it with a well-placed kick and set it down in a place where it can't fall down the hole.

"You're welcome," the shrouded fellow replies, pausing to breathe heavily. "Some feisty rats, eh," he adds when he catches his breath. "Thanks for helping with that there. Was looking bad for a second, it was."

He collects his thoughts as you repeat your questions.

"You're in Anglefork Castle. Stoatmen are gonna kill us all. Minders summoned you demons to help. Clothes are..." he thinks for a moment, "... pretty valuable presently. Nobody'd give you any, if that's what you're asking. Could, er, improvise," he looks down at himself. "And don't leave clothes lying around, either. Someone'll steal 'em. Happened to me once. Now I just wear mine all at once."

He looks at the bag again.

"Blimey, that's a lot of rats. I really oughta put 'em someplace. And get some feed, too. Hope you can do something about them stoats. See ya!" he says, grabbing the bag and starting to quickly make tracks, heading straight for one of the larger courtyard buildings.

If something is worth putting on a ceiling, it's worth reading. Maybe someone around here could help me figure out what it is. I search the castle for a person to question about the brain ceiling.

A bored servant girl happens to be passing by with seemingly nothing to do, so you engage her, asking about why there happens to be a brain drawn on the ceiling. She looks up at the ceiling, then at you.

"That is a brain drawn on the ceiling, isn't it?" she says, sounding a little surprised. You agree. "I've never really thought about it that way. I can see it easily now, I mean. I just thought they wrote it funny 'cause they're minders."

Wrote what funny, is your next question.

"Dunno. It's all just squiggles to me," she explains. You guess literacy isn't something you'd rightly expect from the average servant. "And you shouldn't be trying to read minder squiggles. It ain't healthy. And the minders don't like it."

You ask if they've ever elaborated on why this is discouraged, but she just shrugs. "Minders don't like to explain things to us common folk. Takes a more sofastricated background to understand, they say. Don't stop the buggers from prancing about the hall with guests, bragging all about how they write squiggles on ceilings and how they're so much better than us non-minders."

You give her a quizzical look. "I mean, that's what I think they're saying. They don't talk to guests in the hall out loud. Just in their minds, you know. I've heard they do that. The cook, she sometimes has to have them describe tastes. She says it's a damn nuisance, to be sure - can't get the flavor out of her mind for a day afterwards sometimes. And they're awful specific about 'em. Oh, and the bitch fits they can throw about their food, that's another story entirely."

Her eyes dart around. "Or, er, so I've heard from the kitchen staff. Not that I think so, personally."

Name: Jack Daniels (his parents had a bad sense of humor)
Description: Tall, a little thin, but muscled from the workouts. Dark brown hair and eyes. Kinda unshaven, hair's a bit long.

You open your eyes, and see the sun shine brightly. It's not raining, everything is in its place. Wouldn't you know it, it's a beautiful new day.

And here you are, lying naked on the gravelly ground. The smells are decidedly unpleasant, and the sounds are similarly not very hopeful. In fact, it's really quiet here apart from some distant voices, and maybe some slightly metallic-sounding footsteps here and there.

On one side of you is a tall stone wall - at least twenty five feet tall, in fact, its parapets giving off the feel of a medieval fortification. And on the other side you see the back of a small wooden house, which has a similarly old feel. The backyard you seem to be in looks ransacked, the fence on both accessible sides of it having gone 95% missing, to the point where you can barely tell one's supposed to be there at all.

The house you're next to does appear to be producing a healthy amount of smoke through its chimney, though. Somebody's probably in there, you'd say.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 11:40:30 am »

Hm, this girl knows more than me but not enough to really help. "I haven't seen any cryptic magicians since I've been in this castle. Do you know where the minders are right now?"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 11:52:31 am »

Wait outside or out of sight. Are either of them going to leave soon or are they going to be in there for a while? Either way keep listening in.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:19 pm »

"Really now? Like some hundred midly insane people?"

The last comment before slipping out. Stick to shadows pretending this is some sneaking game. Sneak around taking look at surroundings and staying out of vision. Should the path to outside be open and unobserved, escape. Quietly.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2015, 01:32:23 am »

"Well feck. I dunno what the hell I did to myself last night but clearly it was something waaaay too expensive because this is nowhere near my house."

Enter the house cautiously, keeping an eye out for anyone/thing. Who knows if there's some crazy hobo or something in there, after all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:02 am »

Demons? stoats? Minders? None of this is making any sense.
Wander around lost and naked. Try not to get mugged or anything. Not sure why anyone would mug a naked person but its bound to happen with my luck.

Maybe I can find someone I recognize from the pit?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2015, 06:50:36 am »

Hm, this girl knows more than me but not enough to really help. "I haven't seen any cryptic magicians since I've been in this castle. Do you know where the minders are right now?"

The girl shrugs. "Beats me. They've been keeping out of the keep. Fasting, even - cook's been having a field day, not having to season any bloody rodents or anything. The queen alone is not half as demanding as the minders are. It's been a very good week. I mean, not really, and we're still going to all die and all, but... you know."

She glances about again, then leans in conspiratorially, lowering her voice. "I hear they're getting ready for some ritual or another, and the majordomo says he saw all three of the buggers float down the old well the other day. Took a bunch of rats with 'em, he says. No clue what they're fixing to do down there. Probably up to no good as usual. They're never up to any good," she shakes her head.

You hear someone bellow greatly and terribly from one of the lower hallways. The servant girl instantly straightens out with a mildly terrified expression and looks at one of the doorways. "Ah! It's been great talking to you, m'lady, but sounds like I'm, er, desperately needed. Sorry!" she excuses herself and takes off at a near-sprint, disappearing into the halls before you can say another word. 

Wait outside or out of sight. Are either of them going to leave soon or are they going to be in there for a while? Either way keep listening in.

You decide not to impugn on anything sacred just yet and stand outside, eavesdropping on this odd ceremony, which you would say is probably coming to an end somewhat soonish. Fortunately, they are speaking at an agreeable enough volume for you to clearly make out their words.

"Are you prepared, sister-in-arms?" asks the priestess, once more in a rehearsed fashion.

"More so every day," the knight replies without even thinking.

"Who does your life belong to?" the priestess continues.

"The Great House, and I will lay it down to pave its passage," the knight recites from memory.

"How will you measure its worth?"

"In the lives of our enemies."

"What shall be your reward?"

"My name shall burn bright on the King's grave, and my sacrifice shall never be forgotten."

"When shall be the day?"

"It draws ever closer," the knight says, and you hear her suit of plate rustle as she stands up.

"And your name will live through it," the priestess says with an air of finality. "Now and forever."

"Now and forever," the knight echoes, and walks out of the monument chamber. You start to scramble out of sight, but she's out in moments, striding out with purpose and determination. She looks your way as you scamper away, still jangling with your wealth of coin, but you get the sense that you are, all things considered, solidly beneath her notice in every respect, as she just keeps walking on.

"Really now? Like some hundred midly insane people?"

The last comment before slipping out. Stick to shadows pretending this is some sneaking game. Sneak around taking look at surroundings and staying out of vision. Should the path to outside be open and unobserved, escape. Quietly.

You slip out of the cell, finding yourself in the dungeon hallway. There does seem to be only one more cell here, but if yours was more of a standard jail, the other one is definitely solitary confinement of some sort. The door is solid iron, and you think you hear a faint whimpering coming from behind it. It doesn't look like the way out, you're fairly certain.

You look the other way from your shadowy vantage point, and you see the way out - the dungeon is really quite small, and there is a stone staircase leading up only about thirty feet down the hall, right past the turnkey's post. It is just about uniformly dark down here, the only sources of illumination being thin shafts of light coming down through the vertical ventilation holes in the ceiling. You look up through one and see a trace of blue sky.

You look back on the hallway and notice the turnkey, two very real eyes as well as a stylized one staring directly at you, his fingers running along a well-sharpened knife as he regards you coldly. "No," he blinks at you again.

"Well feck. I dunno what the hell I did to myself last night but clearly it was something waaaay too expensive because this is nowhere near my house."

Enter the house cautiously, keeping an eye out for anyone/thing. Who knows if there's some crazy hobo or something in there, after all.

The back door is unlocked, which you accurately guess to be a bad sign. This makes you very well-prepared for set of heavy tongs that flies your way just as you open the door - you duck under it and they miss by a hair, landing in the backyard softly.

The source of this unprovoked assault becomes clear momentarily, as you notice that the house - all a single room, you observe, with at least one wall broken down - is occupied by a strange-looking teenage boy. Slight and willowy in build, his scalp appears to have been shaved almost completely bald, occasional razor scars and missed thin, long hairs visible even at this distance. He's wearing a leather apron that is slightly too large for him, and probably hasn't eaten in days. Possibly weeks.

"In-SUF-ficient!" he spits. "A swing and a miss! Inspiration leads me astray once more!"

As you prepare to rush him before he endangers you or society at large again, he waves his hand dismissively at you.

"Eh! It's all ruined now. But I think I need blood for this!" he rants. "Unsuspecting blood! I tried mine, you see, but it didn't work," he says, pointing a hand that appears to have been stabbed with a sharp instrument at some unnatural hybrid of a hearth and a furnace. You get the feeling that this was not what either of the combined things were meant to look like. Nearby you see an anvil, a cooling tub of water, and a single large chunk of metal, all surrounded by a smattering of tools equal parts familiar and distressingly arcane.

Demons? stoats? Minders? None of this is making any sense.
Wander around lost and naked. Try not to get mugged or anything. Not sure why anyone would mug a naked person but its bound to happen with my luck.

Maybe I can find someone I recognize from the pit?

Well, Mr. Codeburn appears to be having a reasonable time of it over by some ramshackle mockery of proper architecture. You suppose he wouldn't mind if you were to stick with him. Wearing a bag like he is, he gives off the feeling of having his shit together, which is something you desperately need for yourself right now.

So you discreetly step behind him as he eavesdrops politely on somebody talking inside the blatantly unsafe construction. You're not sure what that's about, but you don't feel like asking presently. And you wouldn't have had an opportunity even if you did feel like it, as he, upon hearing metallic sounds from inside, backs away from the wall and starts looking around - you helpfully stand behind him at all times so as to not block his view, and he seems to appreciate it, though not really to the point of acknowledging your existence or anything.

As he tries to take cover (you think), you follow him swiftly. Looking back, you see a lady in full armor with a grim look on her face come out of the weird stone house, and cross the yard quickly enough that you wonder if it can still be classified as walking if it's really that fast. She looks your way, but fortunately your nakedness is obscured by the cowering Mr. Codeburn, so you just respectfully smile and wave at her so that you're not rude or anything. She doesn't appear to notice that anything's at all wrong, which you count as a victory of sorts.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2015, 10:18:51 am »

Rats. I guess I've already seen the minders. Maybe those weren't the only ones... I leave the castle and search the town for more signs of minders.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2015, 12:29:28 pm »

It seems now's my chance. Go back in and see if the priestess also left?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2015, 04:01:18 pm »

Time to talk the language these nuts understand...
"Yes. Those three guys underground with their rats and magics didn't bring me here just to be thrown in prison while I'm still weak. I am here for a reason, though they didn't have the grace to stay alive and let me know."
Leif speaks to the turnkey with tone of adult patiently explaining to children why he cannot eat sand.

Work this guy to let me go free. No bitch slapping this time.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2015, 04:37:13 pm »

Stick with Mr. Codeburn who's name I don't know yet.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 161