Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 244088 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Recycled, But Formidable
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:41 pm »

"...huh."

Well, looks like I'm in the land of the insane or some shit. Moreso than Bejing, which is saying something.

"D'you have any clothes? Also tell me your name. Then I might be able to help you at all. Until then I dunno."

Inquire as to clothes pls.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2015, 07:39:28 am »

Rats. I guess I've already seen the minders. Maybe those weren't the only ones... I leave the castle and search the town for more signs of minders.

You head out of the keep and take a look around the courtyard. The guard house and the castle gates are right opposite the keep, so you check there to see if you can get out to take a look at the nearby village. The gates, however, are closed, and asking the guards if they could open them only results in them giving you a very confused look. A short round of questioning establishes that they can't open the gates on account of there being a bit of a siege going on presently.

You ask for how long this has been the case, and they reply five months and thirteen days exactly. Oh, so how long will you need to be waiting here? Not very long now, presumably? They agree with sad expressions. You elect not to bother them any longer. Seems like they've got problems of their own.

That leaves the courtyard. And you don't think you see anything overtly supernatural in it. Well, maybe the weird stone circle that's next to the pile of randomly assembled building materials that's next to the chapel with visible holes in it. That circle does look a little supernatural.

It seems now's my chance. Go back in and see if the priestess also left?

Considering there's only one entrance, you have reason to doubt she did. And you establish immediately through a quick peek that she indeed did not. Instead she appears to have continued to stand in front of the altar, looking down at it in contemplation. Seems a little distracted, you'd say.

You could theoretically get in there, grab the robe and run right the hell out. You think that ought to catch her by surprise, at least.

Time to talk the language these nuts understand...
"Yes. Those three guys underground with their rats and magics didn't bring me here just to be thrown in prison while I'm still weak. I am here for a reason, though they didn't have the grace to stay alive and let me know."
Leif speaks to the turnkey with tone of adult patiently explaining to children why he cannot eat sand.

Work this guy to let me go free. No bitch slapping this time.

The turnkey tilts his head at your explanation, staring at you blankly. You're not sure he understands for a moment. A moment passes and you raise an eyebrow at him. He's thinking about it. It might be working.

He blinks yes. You wait for a moment as he still processes this and begin to proceed out of here, but the turnkey raises his knife to stop you, and immediately blinks no. Naturally. You roll your eyes and prepare to explain, but he raises a finger to his lips to silence you, and indicates the cell with his knife, implying that you probably ought to go back in. For now, his gaze appears to imply with its decreased mistrust. He glances at the dungeon exit, then back at you.

Stick with Mr. Codeburn who's name I don't know yet.

Mr. Codeburn appears to be skulking at the moment. You fall in line behind him, imitating his movements. Of course, lacking a convenient entrance to peek through, they lack a certain meaningful context.

Nevertheless, your shadow impression is top-notch if you may say so yourself.

"...huh."

Well, looks like I'm in the land of the insane or some shit. Moreso than Bejing, which is saying something.

"D'you have any clothes? Also tell me your name. Then I might be able to help you at all. Until then I dunno."

Inquire as to clothes pls.

"My NAME?" the boy says indignantly. "You can't have it. It's mine."

How about some clothes then, you ask. He indicates a spare apron lying in one of the corners. You can have that one - it's soiled, he says. You take a look and conclude aloud that this doesn't actually seem to be the case, possibly worried that he's talking about the kind you need UV to see.

Soiled spiritually, the boy corrects, failing to assuage your fears. It carries the stink of mediocrity. He made the first blade with this one, and that was regrettably in-SUF-ficient. A little foam at the corner of his mouth, you notice. As for the apron, it certainly doesn't smell worse than the boy. And it'd probably fit you.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2015, 09:50:04 am »

FULL THRUST ROBE STEAL TIME IS GO. Toss a handful of Gold backwards as I leave. I might slow her down and also maybe repay her? Churches like donations, right?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2015, 11:51:04 am »

Leif sighs deep in frustration and turns around. "Do us both a favour and talk to someone with authority."

Back into the cell. Hold it shut and wait until the turnkey leaves, wait a bit longer, and then try sneaking out again. This time without stopping to stare into bright lights. Or maybe I shouldn't break his trust so easily. Eh, whatever. I'll have my bath one way or another.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

Jack hasn't really fully processed whatever's going on quite yet, and with each passing second he becomes less and less inclined to.

"Mediocrity's not a terrible thing. By its very nature, actually. Not terrible nor great. How'd you spiritually soil it? I assume you didn't spiritually wank into it or anything?"

Ensure that there's no unsavory sorts of soil on the apron and then put it on.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »

I approach the stone circle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »

FULL THRUST ROBE STEAL TIME IS GO. Toss a handful of Gold backwards as I leave. I might slow her down and also maybe repay her? Churches like donations, right?

Feeling that the time is right, you run into the building, trip over an errant piece of architecture, land in front of the altar, stand back up, look at the exit, toss a handful of gold at the priestess, remember that you skipped a step, turn around again, then look at the robe on the altar. The priestess looks on in confusion. You suppose this works well enough, too.

You grab the robe and try to do a variation on the tablecloth trick, but the priestess is a little too quick, slamming a hand on top of it right as you begin to pull. And though you do pull with both hands, she is definitely stronger than she looks, you immediately discover as the robe fails to budge. She shakes her other arm and you notice something come out of her sleeve - a metal spike, you think. May have been a nail once, perhaps. With similar quickness to her first reaction she leans forward, pointing it dangerously close to your throat.

"What is this, then?" she asks in a challenging tone. "Sacrilege? Theft? Idiocy? All of the above?"

Leif sighs deep in frustration and turns around. "Do us both a favour and talk to someone with authority."

Back into the cell. Hold it shut and wait until the turnkey leaves, wait a bit longer, and then try sneaking out again. This time without stopping to stare into bright lights. Or maybe I shouldn't break his trust so easily. Eh, whatever. I'll have my bath one way or another.

You walk back into the cell, and are vaguely disappointed when the turnkey comes over and locks it again. Listening at the door, however, you do think you hear him going up the stairs. Hm. Maybe he is indeed off to get someone more communicable.

"Do you see the issue?" the crazy guy asks from the back of the cell. "Unlike you, I would not get the luxury of reimprisonment."

Jack hasn't really fully processed whatever's going on quite yet, and with each passing second he becomes less and less inclined to.

"Mediocrity's not a terrible thing. By its very nature, actually. Not terrible nor great. How'd you spiritually soil it? I assume you didn't spiritually wank into it or anything?"

Ensure that there's no unsavory sorts of soil on the apron and then put it on.

"Mediocrity will not save our hides, oh no! Only greatness can be tolerated," the boy retorts on your ponderings. He also explains in highly unneeded detail that his daily spiritual wank would never get on his apron. What kind of rank amateur do you take him for, he asks in an offended tone.

The apron itself still doesn't seem to have much in the way of obvious soil on it. It smells a little of the unwashed boy, and also of smoke and ash and maybe a little bit of salt, but not to the point where you think much of it would rub off on you. And it's a damn sight better than traipsing around in your birthday suit, so you put it on, feeling marginally more decent already. Although not very decent. Maybe somewhere in the middle on the decency scale.

I approach the stone circle.

The circle is composed of twelve small stones, arranged similarly to a clock, and in the center a large stone slab rests. All of these, you note, bear an uncanny similarity to the stones of the nearby architectural travesty, which in turn appears to have been cannibalized from the actual chapel.

Standing among the stones, you are struck by a sense of unusual desolation. Nobody else seems to hang around within fifty feet of it, at least not for long. A few passersby give you odd looks. And the slab itself has a considerable crusty brown stain on it - dried blood. Down by the altar slab you see a bunch of similar stones, chipped and broken off from the main stone - these, too, seem to have a crust of indeterminate age over them.

Nothing overtly supernatural about this place, you guess, though if bad juju was an actual thing that exists, this would probably be a good place to find it. Maybe you shouldn't stick around for too long.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »

"Okay so now I'm sorta clothed. Who the hell are you, where the hell are we, and how the hell did I get here because I clearly recall falling asleep in an alley in Brooklyn. This ain't Brooklyn.

Come to think of it, why was I in Brooklyn?"

Questions!
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2015, 03:58:28 pm »

"Okay so in order, maybe, definitely, and perhaps. What you didn't expect was my backup DO IT NOW!"

While she's distracted shove her arm off me and headbutt the living hell out of her. Grab robe and run!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:08 pm »

I don't know if I want to find out what happened here.

I walk toward the rubble... building, or whatever it is.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2015, 07:15:26 pm »

Nope I'm not getting involved.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2015, 01:30:38 am »

The crazy guy sounds less crazy now. Progress! Or perhaps regression?

"I do see the issue. And the issue is going to get someone less hardheaded, hopefully. So what did you do to be imprisoned and what would you get instead of being tossed back in?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2015, 04:31:28 pm »

"Okay so now I'm sorta clothed. Who the hell are you, where the hell are we, and how the hell did I get here because I clearly recall falling asleep in an alley in Brooklyn. This ain't Brooklyn.

Come to think of it, why was I in Brooklyn?"

Questions!

"This is indeed not Brooklyn!" the boy says with eagerness. "This is Anglefork Castle, last citadel of the once-great kingdom of Benzerwald, home to one of the Four Towers!" he proclaims with a gleam in his eye. "The knife edge of destiny, where we must prevail... or die! Horribly!"

You like the sound of that far less than he does, you would guess.

"And I... I am the blacksmith," he says in a weaker tone. "And I exist for one reason," he adds, looking at the misshapen chunk of iron next to the forge, "a single glorious purpose, oh yes!"

You listen to him for a few moments as he mutters half to himself, working out dramatic phrasings to any more questions you might have.

"Okay so in order, maybe, definitely, and perhaps. What you didn't expect was my backup DO IT NOW!"

While she's distracted shove her arm off me and headbutt the living hell out of her. Grab robe and run!

Her eyes dart around for a moment and her arm becomes minutely less steady. This is sufficient. You smack her hand aside and use your skull to its full potential, butting her in the head fiercely. She loses balance, stumbles back to the wall dizzily, and in doing so lets go of the robe. Bingo! You snatch it quickly, then make a run for it, sprinting right out of this hole of a temple and turning a sharp right.

Feeling your work to be done, you leap through a convenient hole in the chapel wall, rolling flawlessly on the stone floor, then standing up with arms spread out as you declare your right of sanctuary. You have triumphed in this felonious game of hide-and-seek, you're pretty sure. And with a whole lot of time to spare! Hopefully the priest won't be too long.

I don't know if I want to find out what happened here.

I walk toward the rubble... building, or whatever it is.

As you walk toward the who-knows-what, you observe Mr. Codeburn, wearing that silly sack of coins and all, run out at a suspicious pace while holding a robe while a very naked Mr. Calverly stands about at the entrance, aggressively minding his own business. You walk a bit closer, and you hear a rather unpleasant sound come from within, as if somebody had crossed a nigh-mythical boundary of rage and indignation that precludes any form of language. It's something between a roar, a hiss and a gurgle.

Moments later, a woman wearing a dress of rags interwoven with bones rushes out, brandishing a metal spike in her hand. With a murderous, lightly dazed look on her face she asks if either you or Mr. Calverly saw where the wanton defiler went. You're not sure if she strictly realizes that you probably do, as she looks to have taken a rather sharp blow to the head.

Nope I'm not getting involved.

And you don't! Not even when Mr. Codeburn performs some indistinct act of violence and runs out with a robe in his thieving hands, you do not get in any way involved. In fact, you're not even sure you saw that just now. Could have been your imagination for all you know. That's what you'll tell Ms. Minett if she asks, as she seems to have possibly imagined that, too.

As she approaches closer, the priestess of the temple runs out, looking a bit dazed, and asks you if you've seen Mr. Codeburn. You consider how much you would like to lie to her.

The crazy guy sounds less crazy now. Progress! Or perhaps regression?

"I do see the issue. And the issue is going to get someone less hardheaded, hopefully. So what did you do to be imprisoned and what would you get instead of being tossed back in?"

He was caught. And if he is caught again, he will be killed, salted and made into rations. He does not feel like elaborating on that, however.

Which is all right, you suppose, because it's only a minute or so afterwards that you hear the arrival of two people. One is the turnkey, rather silent in comparison to the jingling of his companion - the elderly-looking guard who threw you in here. He stops in front of the door, opening the metal peephole.

"The right honorable turnkey informs me that there are extenuating circumstances you wish to present that may affect your release. Elaborate," he says, squinting as he looks at you in the dark.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2015, 05:56:18 pm »

Don the robe. Make sack a regular sack of gold. Go hide somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:27:13 am by Dermonster »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2015, 07:03:47 pm »

"Huh. Prevail against what? And ya gonna make a sword or something? Not to brag but I'm a fairly good warrior, so if you wanted to make me a weapon so I'm less likely to die here I wouldn't be complaining."

More questions!
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 161