Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 243460 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: To The Four Corners Of The World
« Reply #1485 on: August 24, 2016, 07:32:38 am »

I escaped a stoat army to be eaten by bogeymen. Good going there.

If we're not very far from the inn, I start slowly moving in that direction. If we're pretty far away, instead I move in the direction we were going. Maybe if we get closer to other people, the gaunts will back off.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 25, 2016, 04:36:51 am »

A very slight shrug implying "I suggested him to go elsewhere." Also slightly loosening grip of my spear indicating I can part with it. Mouthing word "inevitable". Whatever she makes of that.

They don't seem like they'd want your spear, at least judging by the weaponry by the warriors' sides, their spearheads, swords and daggers having the banded look of fine Wootz steel. Almost strangely advanced in its own way.

[We're All Friends Here: 1]

You give a noncommittal shrug, and it's at roughly this point your backpack gets the feeling that this is unlikely to end well for him. He looks at the Stork, then at the gathering warriors, then at Lee, who seems to be evaluating his market price before making a pitch to the clansman, and decides to make a run for it.

[A Most Wondrous Flight: 6]

It's quite an orthogonal run for it, too. The Stork looks on as your backpack sprints off into the distance, seemingly not overly concerned about his progress in escaping. Going to be a fun one to catch, no doubt, he offers with a smile as your former associate tries to duck along through the brush to avoid arrows that fail to come his way, then dives into the canyon for cover. The clansman lets out an 'ooh' at this turn of events. Probably gonna need to go fishing in not too long. Better notify the net men while he's at it.

In any case, he gestures to the encampment, this ought to be good. He'll let the headman know you're here and what you brought. In the meantime, make yourselves at home. Not even in the usual way, he then adds and laughs. Lee smirks a little out of politeness, the second readable expression you've seen her make all day. She looks over at you, as does the clansman. The latter stares a bit. What is that, anyway? Lee looks at him. Associate, she says. Looks unnerving, the Stork replies. Does it get wet in the rain? Might want to leave it out.

"Why would I suddenly pretend not to have a Word, since I've already told you I have one and how I got it?
Anyway, would a blood sample work? It'll contain any DNA or equivalent if we even have any, and it's certainly less drastic than chopping you up. As pleasant as the thought may be. "

Nately doesn't seem to know, but if Mr. Daniels is more willing to give blood than give actual chunks, that's certainly his prerogative. AND there's... DNA, yes, and probably EQUIVALENTS, in fact, Nately continues on, agreeing with the smart-sounding thing you just told him.

"Don't go all mad doctor on me, man. Though it might not look like it, I actually enjoy not having to hurt people.

Still, blood sample sounds good. I'd rather not lose another appendage."

Blood sample it is. Into the measure, I assume?

[Let's Spill Some Blood: 5]

You place a finger on your wrist and dig your nails into the vein, parting flesh with only the slightest pressure, a slight amount of pain following as you drag your functional hand over the vein, opening it like a seam. Blood starts to readily come out as the blacksmith steps up, removing a slightly used vial from somewhere within his clothes and, upon devoting the issue some thought, an accompanying funnel as well. You hold your wrist above the funnel, letting a respectable amount of blood drip into it until it nearly begins to spill over, at which point he pulls the vial away, hands it to Mr. Wilde and goes to find some water to wash his funnel.

[The Cost of Doing Business: 6]

The transaction complete, you squeeze the vein shut by closing your hand over it and half-crushing your forearm as you experiment with pressure, your murder-thought flitting wildly in the sky in an instant of pain. You hold it like that for a few minutes and twist, and you think that addresses the blood loss quite adequately. And with only a minimal loss of function in that hand, though not for lack of trying.

"Er, uh, yes.  My name is Thomas Minstep, and I'm not quite sure how I've gotten to this castle.  It involved a sack, I believe.  That said, I am trying to return home, and your son thought you might know the way.  I am trying to go to Albany, you see.  Uh.  In New York?"

Ask.

[Insights From The Far Corners: 1]

Sounds like a transoceanic place, she says after some thought. You kind of suspected you were in Australia. Does she know where you could find an airport, then? And a phone. You've lost yours, unfortunately.

Airports, hm, she considers further, and you hear her wander along the edge of the cell, circling you a few times. Do you mean one of those places where metallic dragons land every now and then and carry people off? You roll your eyes and sigh. They just have to make this difficult, don't they? Yes. North along the road, she says. And then when the road ends (never did have a head for roadworks, the lords of Anglefork), you just keep on going. You'll find yourself in an airport eventually. Some clansmen might help point the way. This raises your eyebrow immediately. Clansmen? Out in the open? You've heard things about Australia, certainly, but nothing quite like this. You didn't even know the Clan had international chapters. Seems like that would defeat the point somewhat, but you suppose you're no expert.

In any case, you suppose that was... shockingly helpful, in its own roundabout way. You thank the lady for her helpful advice, and consider leaving when she responds with the obvious counterquestion - what's been happening outside? She doesn't leave terribly often, you understand. Has a bit of a countenance issue.

I escaped a stoat army to be eaten by bogeymen. Good going there.

If we're not very far from the inn, I start slowly moving in that direction. If we're pretty far away, instead I move in the direction we were going. Maybe if we get closer to other people, the gaunts will back off.

Rather unfortunately you think you're at about the midway point. So on you'll have to go. And by 'go', you mean 'run for dear life'.

[The Pursuit of Sorcery: 1 vs. 6]

You make the first move. This seems to dispel any lingering indecision on the part of the gaunt, which stops playing coy immediately and comes barrelling out of the underbrush, the air pressure dropping suddenly as your ears pop and you see a speeding figure, an enormous, long-fingered, sharp-toothed skeletal thing constructed from head to toe of silvered, gleaming bone, its mouth open as it splays its claws in a pounce, each large, ice-cold hand wrapping around your waist fully once as you are carried off your feet, the creature rolling with you as it secures its grip and you are taken off your feet. It coils its hunched body as a spring and almost clownishly springs away as its many joints unfold and it extends to its full nearly 20 foot length from the end of its disproportionately huge arms to the toes of its digitigrade legs.

The last thing you see before you are pulled up slightly above the tree line by the supernatural leap of the creature is the stoatman looking on in shock as he starts to run forward, almost immediately giving up on the idea of seeing you alive ever again. And then you feel a lot of branches swatting across your face as the gaunt pulls you down into the bramble, hefting you in one hand now as it pulls and bounds its way along the wilderness, cackling at an amazing volume as its conch-like head vibrates, parts of it smacking against one another as the nightly air is violently sucked through it. Moving at about the speed of a horse going full tilt, you feel yourself getting almost hopelessly far from the woods immediately, the steely nine-fingered grip of the gaunt locked around your entire body as its grip is adjusted, leaving you helplessly dragging along the underbrush as it makes off with its nightly prize. You hear what you presume are other gaunts - you think they're following you. Maybe they won't eat the other guy, then. Maybe.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 25, 2016, 10:51:45 am »

It? One might take offense from being called that. Not me, though.

"Name one thing that doesn't get wet in rain. Besides water."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:50 pm »

This is not how I wanted tonight to go.

I imagine the forest coming alive and attacking this creature, branches clawing at it with unnatural HUNGER.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 25, 2016, 07:33:37 pm »

"Okay, now what?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 25, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »

Australia does make sense, really.  Not sure how... or why... Thomas got here, this was still the most helpful anyone's been.  "Thank you.  You've been the most helpful person I've talked to today.  Hm?  Yes, of course, it's only fair that I help you.  Well, quite a bit actually.  The siege of the stout fellows has been broken.  They all left, or something, not really sure.  Well, there was this one, the leader or something, and then he came in the castle and we had a swordfight.  I won; quite exciting really, most exercise I've gotten in a while.  Really stretched out the ol' rotator cuff.  He gave me this sword, and it's got some neat talking trick.   Want to see it?"

Answer questions.  Show her the sword if she wants.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:27 am »

"Now we unwrap the measure and point it at the sample, I assume."
Unstopper the vial if necessary, then Measure Daniels' blood. Feed it a REVELATION instead if it isn't interested for some reason.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 27, 2016, 12:20:14 pm »

It? One might take offense from being called that. Not me, though.

"Name one thing that doesn't get wet in rain. Besides water."

Lee stares at the clansman for a few moments as he continues looking at her, only glancing in your direction for a moment. It's making noises, the fellow notes. Is it supposed to do that? Lee looks at you again, then turns to the man in puzzlement.

Yes, she says after eyeballing the clansman suspiciously. Yes, it does get wet in the rain. Very well, retorts the clansman, he'll have some of the folks throw a tarp over it in that case. Maybe tie it down so a sudden gale doesn't blow it away. It doesn't seem terribly light, of course, he comes over and places his hands on your shoulders, testing your weight. Hm. Probably should tie it down, yes.

[Breaking The Ice: 3]

Is... that how they usually treat guests, Lee asks experimentally. The Stork looks at her in confusion. What seems to be the problem? She'll get to stay in the guest tent, and get a pick of the evening's feast as befits a guest. And her luggage won't be disturbed a bit. He'll have a guard watch over it at all times. Let it never be said that the Stork Clan does not respect the rights, whether personal or property-related, of worthy clans. The almost offended tone of the man is enough for Lee to not pursue the line of questioning further, and she glances at you one more time as the clansman orders for the luggage to be covered, tied down  and held under watch for the duration of their clanfriend's stay.

This is not how I wanted tonight to go.

I imagine the forest coming alive and attacking this creature, branches clawing at it with unnatural HUNGER.

Able to do little other than shout, you decide to make your voice heard.

HUNGER

[Word: 2]

The woods wave and tremble as your voice goes through them, and the night gaunt echoes your cry softly, the resonance of it ringing through its bones, spurring it on as you affirm your value and power. You go further and further away from the river, deeper into the derelict woods. The other gaunts have formed up behind you at this point, and you are finally dragged to your destination.

It reminds you strangely of the doomstones back in the castle, though less regular and purposeful, like a set of cairns constructed in equal measure of stones, miscellaneous remains of many shapes and sizes and what you are fairly sure are the ruins of several carts, all stacked into towers with no clear rhyme or reason.

[Incoming Delivery: 1]

It is right into one of these that you are suddenly and sharply tossed, your body cracking like a whip as you are hurled forth and straight into the sharp and jagged rocks, wood and bone, the cairn collapsing with you atop it. The sound of stomping footsteps, clanging calls and overwhelming bestial laughter grow louder and closer, monstrous figures darting between the trees in the clearing, the hubbub of a rapidly growing gathering making the place feel like some form of alien market square.

"Okay, now what?"

Now Mr. Wilde gets to demonstrate why he's the master and you are merely the lab assistant with a confusing series of gymnastics and balancing acts as he manages to uncover with his teeth the skull-shaped measure which he balances on his leg while pointing it at the vial of your blood, which he holds in one hand. The skull seems to rather appreciate it.

Australia does make sense, really.  Not sure how... or why... Thomas got here, this was still the most helpful anyone's been.  "Thank you.  You've been the most helpful person I've talked to today.  Hm?  Yes, of course, it's only fair that I help you.  Well, quite a bit actually.  The siege of the stout fellows has been broken.  They all left, or something, not really sure.  Well, there was this one, the leader or something, and then he came in the castle and we had a swordfight.  I won; quite exciting really, most exercise I've gotten in a while.  Really stretched out the ol' rotator cuff.  He gave me this sword, and it's got some neat talking trick.   Want to see it?"

Answer questions.  Show her the sword if she wants.

Oh. Ah. Erm. Well! The lady makes several such noises as you go through your story, the news seemingly far more than she expected. Very... very... quite, yes, very quite indeed.

She does seem impressed. But perhaps not as impressed as she could be. So you produce your sword, its surface bright gray, crisp and clear even in the absence of any visible light. Ah, she says. That really is quite the trick sword you have there, Mr. Minstep. And... oh dear, it speaks? My, what a terrible voice it has...

An intriguing material, one must say. May one have a small sampling? Ask the woman. She needs not half of herself to continue existing within here. Less, even, if she were to walk out.

"Now we unwrap the measure and point it at the sample, I assume."
Unstopper the vial if necessary, then Measure Daniels' blood. Feed it a REVELATION instead if it isn't interested for some reason.

[Precision Measurements: 6]

You go through a peculiar configuration as you lift the vial up in one hand, then take the measure in the other one. It's still wrapped. So you raise your leg and rest the measure on that, and bring the vial in its view, trying to keep it level with the vial, which necessitates that you use the other arm to balance so you don't fall off and ruin the whole thing, so what you do then is that you bend forward a little and pull the cloth off the measure with your teeth, the skull beginning to shake as the air in front of it is slowly drawn in. You bring forward the vial, and your hand feels a momentary pull as the skull senses acceptable prey, and an invisible tendril you barely even register comes right for it. You let go of the vial and it begins to fall for a millisecond before being snapped up violently. The measure nearly falls off your thigh as it shakes, and you kick it up and catch it in both hands, wrapping it in the cloth in a single deft movement.

You turn to Mr. Daniels, who has been watching your gymnastics with utter bemusement. He offers no immediate comment.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 27, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »

"Eh?" Leif's eye twitches involuntarily.

"You know," he says as much to Lee as to the rude stork, wearing a smile without realizing it. "I don't mind being referred as 'it'. I understand that in some cultures and languages it isn't considered as an insult and I'm willing to assume that's the case here. However this way of treatment feels rather insulting, being treated as a thing. I have this new word of power I haven't tried yet, apocalypse," he rolls the word out of his mouth, pronouncing it carefully, tasting the power in it, "and I'm itching to see how it works. I presume it results fire and brimstone raining from heavens, rivers flooding backwards, death walking amongst men, bunch of gods dying and such. So acknowledge me as a person, will you?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 27, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »

Thomas looks blank for a moment, a gesture lost in the dark.  "Errr... why don't you ask?  It's not really my place to ask for pieces of... what?  I'm not even sure.  Look, you ask.  I don't know."

Let the sword ask, but respect the woman's decision.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 27, 2016, 11:12:49 pm »

Shit.

I pretend I died on impact in case that makes me less interesting to these guys.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 27, 2016, 11:18:07 pm »

"Cool. Now what?"
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 28, 2016, 07:19:04 am »

"Now we wait and hope the analysis is more useful this time. Speaking of which, have you made any progress figuring out what exactly we are? I think I heard you mention a mystery."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 28, 2016, 01:54:04 pm »

"Oh, right. Yeah, we're basically data-collecting probes sent by a giant extradimensional entity to investigate this world, chained (mostly) to human form to prevent us from shattering reality entirely. Fun stuff, eh?"
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 28, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »

"Is this entity that thing you mentioned earlier which you've been dealing with? And how did you find this out? Did you get any technical details?"
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 161