Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 244205 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1710 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:55 pm »

Hey, wander around in pitch blackness enough and you'll get better at it.

I follow the highest splotches that I can get to.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 21, 2016, 05:13:56 pm »

"No, I meant - never mind, I'll have to find them on my own I guess. Do you know which direction El is in? Or where the rest of those fuckers people from the castle went? I remember there were a bunch of them."

Stand up. Use the lady as assistance.

What sort of fool does not know where El is, the grubby woman says dismissively as she pulls you to your feet, holding with the other on to her sheet for modesty. Westward. Just past the end of the rainbow, if you are the sort to enjoy a walk of one hundred and seventy two miles through the untamed and mostly uninhabited borderlands where the unintegrated may run free. That would take you to the northeastern border. Then, if you are of a mind to proceed, roughly eighty more miles southwest will take you to the hilltops in the heartland, where the great promontories no doubt still stand unless the overall chaos has claimed them as well.

As for where all others went, southward, less than a mile. They would loot Anglefork before proceeding north if she understands correctly. To find the King, she suspects. Or a suitable proxy. The sense of being Ordered seems to have been very carefully crushed out of both the court, the remnants of the army and even the stunted few minders. A fascinating turn to be sure, one almost certainly lacking non-Imaginary precedent. Don't you agree?

"Do you two need assistance?"

Offer help.  Not the jump in and save them kind, but the hold a big stick out for them kind.  Or throw a rope if there's one around.

[Lucky Debris: 4]

You do manage to find a very convenient and rather enormous stick. Really, it's more of a whole tree branch - seems to have fallen off in the ruckus with the earthquakes and such. So you go and try to help out Mr. Wilde with it as he makes his immense desire for help clear. So you run a little ways down the river as he maneuvers along the stream, and eventually manage to fish him and his poor, half-drowned companion out of the water. Really, you'd think they would know better. Lucky you came along. Somebody could have drowned, for goodness' sake!

Wasteland of wasted gods, it's a great day to be the winner. Enjoy some of the finest grapefruits and ponder nature of spontaneous materialization.
Oh, can I open window to see into the boring reality while still chilling in my mindscape? Actually, if I can, why not make it outdoors drive-in movie theater so everybody can enjoy show from other realm. And a microphone stand so my gods can offer their advice directly into my ears while I'm out there in the other reality. Hœnir can then throw out his puzzles and prophecies all the time without having to wait for me come back in.

[Tricks of the Mind: 4]

Spontaneous materialization is a top-tier trick, you begin to suspect after contemplating the deeper mysteries of minding for a little while. The difference between imagination and reality, after all, is that at least two people can agree on the latter.

[Peering Without: 4]

As for a window out of your mindscape, that is certainly within your ability. Or, rather, it is trivial for you to look outside of your mindscape, and equally trivial to keep your mindscape's gods very well informed of your antics in the wider world. These things tend to be a little abstracted in circumstances such as these. As for letting your gods get a direct line to your skull, that seems equally possible. So you make sure to add that to your mindscape in case one of these figments really wants to tell you something horribly important, and begin peering outside.

[A Less Eventful Place: 3]

You see yourself by the fire in a weird kind of out-of-body experience. And boy, is the fire looking weird as hell, swaying around drunkenly as licks of white flame laden with apocalyptic images stream from it. It seems to be trying to sing a song in its own distorted, haunting crackle as it's burning through the last bits of fuel.

Lee, for her part, is still sound asleep, her alert sleep cycle seemingly having given out under travel exhaustion, and you see her still curled up by the oak in a position that you can't help but feel is more comfortable than yours when you realize that one of your legs has fallen asleep from your manful meditation. All in all, not at all much is happening near as you can tell.

"What does it look like?"

Grab Nately with one hand and whatever Mr. Minstep offers with the other.

[A Job For Many Hands: 5]

Nately offers token resistance as you seize him and order him to stop drowning immediately, which he does. That done, you swim desperately to shore against the stream, and make slow, but steady progress, although Mr. Minstep has to follow you with his rather large stick for quite a ways down the shore before you quite manage to grab it and remove yourself from the stream, not particularly worse for wear, but definitely quite convinced that you probably need a better plan to get on the other side of this here river than mere swimming.

Hey, wander around in pitch blackness enough and you'll get better at it.

I follow the highest splotches that I can get to.

The splotches grow long and loom large as you go onward and upward, the topology of the ground beneath you growing uncertain as all noise ceases and you begin to feel untethered from the laws of gravity and motion, growing terribly unsure of where, how and for what purpose you are going, or whether you are going anywhere at all.

[The World's End: 1]

Sensation begins to leave you entirely as you wander on, deeper and deeper, further away from anything at all. You feel a cool detachment seep into you with each step, and when you look around, you see nothing in any direction. It pulls at your eyes, your skin, softly drawing you into itself to fill the vacuum you otherwise stand in (float in? it's hard to tell).

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 21, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »

"You're making the ill-advised assumption that I'm not an extradimensional probe into this realm with no prior knowledge of the metaphysics of where I am or anything outside of Anglefork. You're going to walk with me as I go to find Wilde, and you're going to explain what unintegrated, Imaginary, Order, and now that I think of it, a basic summary of what the world looks and behaves like are."

I may have no bones, but I still have uncoupled strength. This lady's coming with me as I head ... south, she said? South. To Anglefork town.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 21, 2016, 05:31:42 pm »

Goddamn it I hope that fisher lady learns to never send strangers through weird holes.

I turn around and attempt to progress in roughly the opposite direction than the one I've been going. As best as I can estimate that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 22, 2016, 06:56:08 am »

"Are you okay?  That river is rather tricky."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 22, 2016, 08:16:59 am »

Well, slide the rainbow bridge back out, add some more fuel into fire and figure out better position to pass out.

I wonder if I can bring my figments of imagination gods outside with me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:43 am »

"I'm fine, thank you. Nately?

How are you doing, by the way? It looked like quite a fall you took there."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 22, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »

"What, me?  Oh, I think I am okay.  It hurt a bit but it must have just been a light bruise; I'm fine now.  Mr. Nately?"

Check on the health of the blacksmith.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 23, 2016, 07:37:31 am »

"You're making the ill-advised assumption that I'm not an extradimensional probe into this realm with no prior knowledge of the metaphysics of where I am or anything outside of Anglefork. You're going to walk with me as I go to find Wilde, and you're going to explain what unintegrated, Imaginary, Order, and now that I think of it, a basic summary of what the world looks and behaves like are."

I may have no bones, but I still have uncoupled strength. This lady's coming with me as I head ... south, she said? South. To Anglefork town.

There's really no need to manhandle the poor woman, she's more than eager to follow a naked boneless man down the road to inevitable disaster while explaining the history of the world, as this seems to be the exact situation her unique education has prepared her to do. Eager listeners seem to be at a premium in these parts.

But where to begin, the historian considers. Where indeed! The world, as it seems you are quite interested in that - relatively little of it is known to those in the north, you understand. Benzerwald hugs the Corner of the World, where the two planes of the physical world meet at a right angle - some believe it leads to the next world, although very few have managed to master the secrets of gravity to be able to scale the seemingly infinite wall of earth there. Up from the corner, it is believed, live the time-enders, and of them few rigorous reports exist, and those that do are invariably from a far too long distance (more than a few purely telescopic in nature), and even then incoherent at times - they move like stars on the horizon, and are said by fools to portend acts of great destruction, though very little evidence exists of this that hasn't probably been very thoroughly destroyed after being prophesied. Thus it's hard to say how predictive any such observations really are. Rather frustrating to encounter a force that actively resists any attempt at being deciphered - causal cryptography is a confusing science at the best of times. Would you know yet more?

You would, but step back on the esotery, you warn. Very well - where you are, she expounds, is a several hundred mile band of lands near the Great Ocean, where the splintered state of Benzerwald stands, broken by the stoatmen at the beginning of what she likes to term the Splintered period, the beginning of which she likes to place roughly eleven months ago during the great stoat ghetto riots when the tensions of the splintering of the blood came to a rather catastrophic head. Since no other historian has opposed such classification (presumably because stoatmen take a dim and overly sharp view of academic examination of their practices), you can safely assume an academic consensus on the subject for now. In any case, Benzerwald - flanked on the east by the Kingdom of the Dead, where the Wicked King, a long-time Benzerwald ally, holds court over his subject corpses, and on the west by the Wondrous Land of El, legendary home of the science of alchemy, and on the south bordering the free ports, though what exactly has become of them she hasn't quite had any news about. Would you know yet more?

Of course you would know yet- hey, there's the people you were looking for - Mr. Wilde, the blacksmith, and also Mr. Minstep, all commiserating after a less than inspiring brush with drowning on the blacksmith and Mr. Wilde's part. Oh, says the lady, you were looking for the blacksmith? You really should be more specific about these things, she says.

Goddamn it I hope that fisher lady learns to never send strangers through weird holes.

I turn around and attempt to progress in roughly the opposite direction than the one I've been going. As best as I can estimate that.

[Where Am I: 1]

In here, direction does not exist. And neither does purpose. Your desire makes less sense the more you think about it, your thoughts beginning to evaporate as the pressure of reality slackens on your very being and you walk. You do make progress - but not in any conventional direction. Many words come to you, and then are lost - depth seems to be the only one that makes even a little sense. You have found yourself at the very bottom of the curve, inert and deteriorating, impossibly tall slopes of energy on all sides from where you stand.

[Who Am I: 1]

And somewhere along the way you seem to have shed a great part of yourself as you've traversed the slope down, your self having bloomed and shed its petals in your wake, leaving but a naked core, a mere nigh-motionless nucleus where once a woman was, reduced to charge, mass and motion from a more complex set of feelings.

You feel strangely compelled to rest, trapped as you are. A sense of impossibility pervades any thoughts of escape.

Well, slide the rainbow bridge back out, add some more fuel into fire and figure out better position to pass out.

I wonder if I can bring my figments of imagination gods outside with me.

You shift back into the world of relative reality, and add some twigs to the fire as you poke it. The flame growls as you stir it, but seems ultimately thankful for the provision of more matter to annihilate for warmth and light. That done, you sit down by the tree and let your leg regain sensation as you contemplate the possibility of dragging some gods out into the world. No reason you shouldn't be able to, you suppose, although they're probably a little more complex to bring out than, say, an alcoholic grapefruit.

[Shadows In The Moonlight: 5]

Having come into your body in earnest, you do notice something more. Shadows all around, moving quietly around the tree. You look a little deeper, and see the unmistakable shape of what seems to be a teepee. Quite a few of them, in fact, arranged in a circle a respectable distance away from the tree, the shadows moving in a circle around the area, a few of them turning their heads toward you as you sit there. Noticing you, one such shadow waves quietly, yet affably.

"I'm fine, thank you. Nately?

How are you doing, by the way? It looked like quite a fall you took there."

Phlargh, says Nately with a prodigious stream of water coming out of his mouth as he evacuates his lungs as swiftly as he is able. He seems waterlogged, but ambulatory, and you figure that's probably good enough.

Rather more worryingly, however, Mr. Daniels turns up shortly after the question is asked, trailed by a woman wearing a bedsheet explaining him the finer points of local and world history.

"What, me?  Oh, I think I am okay.  It hurt a bit but it must have just been a light bruise; I'm fine now.  Mr. Nately?"

Check on the health of the blacksmith.

He seems partly drowned, and seems to be trying very hard to not go the rest of the way now that he's clear of the water. Rather understandably he can't offer much in the way of a report beyond hacking and disgorging water wildly, so you pat him on the back gently and assure him it'll be all right, which seems about the best you can do for him presently without a concrete commitment to invading his personal space.

As you contemplate this, a rather put out Mr. Daniels accompanied by the good doctor (who seems to be providing another of her nonsensical lectures) turn up. Mr. Daniels gives poor Nately a look you can't help but read ill intentions into for some reason.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 23, 2016, 08:23:47 am »

"Ah, hello again, Mr. Daniels.  You look rather beat up, I must say."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 23, 2016, 11:09:37 am »

Moving has only made things worse. Maybe laying here for a bit will make things better.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 23, 2016, 11:39:43 am »

Oh, great to see someone who identifies me as a person. Using improvised sign language I talk to them Nice to meet you, how's your day? Mine was weird. But let's be quiet, Lee needs her sleepy time. Invite them to decipher message of apocalyptic camp fire together with me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 23, 2016, 12:00:21 pm »

"Oh. I had not noticed." Daniels says, enunciating his words incredibly carefully.

"Gentlemen, you have two choices. Whoever this is tells me that El is to the west of here. You will travel with me to there, or I will take the gold egg thing you have with you, Wilde, and unleash what is inside of it upon ... well, whichever sufficiently large group of people I come across, really. Also probably give the blacksmith here some extremely unpleasant experiences before his body gives out. Minstep, I'm not really going to harm you since you have not subjected me to numerous things worthy of retribution."

Extortion!

((I tried not to be an avatar of pettiness, I really did.))
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:10:47 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 23, 2016, 01:08:29 pm »

"That's nice. May I ask why you want to get to El so much?"

... And he's finally snapped. Brilliant.

Back away from the madman. Make sure I'm between him and Nately.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 23, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »

"No you may not."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 161