Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 243404 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1725 on: October 23, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »

"Uh.  Er.  I don't know what or who or where El is.  I was just about to head north to the airport, myself.  Did you know we're in Australia?  I'm not sure what part, though."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41:20 am »

"You're not on Earth anymore, you stupid fucker. You're not even human anymore. This is why we possess reality-altering words, I can survive without bones in most of my body, and you possess a sword that is incredibly ... interesting."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:01 pm »

"It's really all just impressive lights and effects.  I saw something like this at a dinner theater once.  This just has a bigger budget, I suppose.  But yes, it is quite the souvenir.  I'm impressed with how well they made it respond to what I say.  People can do all sorts of things with computers these days.  I'm just happy they can process my actuarial tables, really."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 24, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

Daniels' lips press together worryingly tight, and the blood vessels in his eyes are standing out.

Statement retracted statement retracted statement retracted statement retracted statement retracted
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: October 25, 2016, 04:47:01 am »

"Ah, hello again, Mr. Daniels.  You look rather beat up, I must say."

Poor Mr. Daniels. Australia has clearly taken a terrible toll on his fragile body and mind.

Moving has only made things worse. Maybe laying here for a bit will make things better.

Yes. You will lay here, inert, unmoving, at rest. Or, rather, approaching rest. All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Oh, great to see someone who identifies me as a person. Using improvised sign language I talk to them Nice to meet you, how's your day? Mine was weird. But let's be quiet, Lee needs her sleepy time. Invite them to decipher message of apocalyptic camp fire together with me.

The shadow seems incredibly confused for a moment as you signal a rather elaborate message to them, but then approaches, stepping into the light with a remarkable lack of noise, revealing itself to be a middle-aged woman wearing an odd-looking gown that reveals her bare shoulders. You take very immediate note of this because on her shoulders you see a wealth of strange-looking growths like bent and twisted ears resembling poor imitations of rose buds - they start small around the tops of her arms, and continue along her shoulders to her neck, where one or two reach the size of your fist, and terminate at large bulbs on opposite sides of her head, a bit less easy to characterize on account of the wild mess of thick, wool-like hair covering them.

[Sorcerous Deduction: 6]

She nods at you with a smile, her face covered in deep grooves and furrows (which, when you look, seem to each deepen a little with the smile) flanked by white galls, and kneels opposite you next to the fire. She starts to experimentally sign herself, clearly improvising, but you sense the idea well enough - are you well-rested? Do you need anything? You didn't hurt yourself in the nasty things earlier in the day, did you?

"Oh. I had not noticed." Daniels says, enunciating his words incredibly carefully.

"Gentlemen, you have two choices. Whoever this is tells me that El is to the west of here. You will travel with me to there, or I will take the gold egg thing you have with you, Wilde, and unleash what is inside of it upon ... well, whichever sufficiently large group of people I come across, really. Also probably give the blacksmith here some extremely unpleasant experiences before his body gives out. Minstep, I'm not really going to harm you since you have not subjected me to numerous things worthy of retribution."

Extortion!

((I tried not to be an avatar of pettiness, I really did.))

For some reason you don't think they're taking you too seriously. Might be the way you're undulating. They must think you're absolutely spineless, the fools!

"That's nice. May I ask why you want to get to El so much?"

... And he's finally snapped. Brilliant.

Back away from the madman. Make sure I'm between him and Nately.

You make sure to stand between Mr. Daniels and Nately as you motion for the latter to back off, making a slight retreat yourself. You get the strange sense that this is likely to end poorly for at least one of the parties involved. Question is, do you dare make the first move?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 25, 2016, 05:28:46 am »

Poor Mr. Daniels. Australia has clearly taken a terrible toll on his fragile body and mind.
This legitimately made me burst out laughing. I'll post actually later, just ... man. goddamn. That's a sigbox.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:10 am »

Goddamn all-consuming darkness. Maybe... "Well? Is that you?"

If there's no response, then I try to shake up my situation with some CHAOS. The natural order of this place seems to be working against me, so I'll upturn it.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 25, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »

She's a little weird, but weird is word of the day anyway. Keeping up with theme of non-verbal language, I sign I'm probably well rested, thanks for asking. Actual clothes would be great if you got any to spare. And yes, I'm unhurt but Lee got tired from brisk walking pace. What about you? Doing fine? Are you member one of the clans?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:27 pm »

Goddamn all-consuming darkness. Maybe... "Well? Is that you?"

If there's no response, then I try to shake up my situation with some CHAOS. The natural order of this place seems to be working against me, so I'll upturn it.

You call out to the well, wondering if in the nothingness something yet stranger lurks.

[Call of the Deep: 1]

There is no response, and you only feel yourself sinking deeper into the depths, emptiness pressing upon you from all directions. Drastic measures are required.

CHAOS

[Word: 2]

You shout into the void, and feel all the emptier for it as the word leaps out of your mouth and into the darkness, the kernel evaporating as it is pulled from your being, and you remain destitute and alone, and approach rest at an ever-increasing pace.

She's a little weird, but weird is word of the day anyway. Keeping up with theme of non-verbal language, I sign I'm probably well rested, thanks for asking. Actual clothes would be great if you got any to spare. And yes, I'm unhurt but Lee got tired from brisk walking pace. What about you? Doing fine? Are you member one of the clans?

[Helpful Strangers: 6]

Clothes! Very easily done! She walks off for a moment, and you see her shadow poking another of the less-than-visible folks, and soon she returns with a set of clothes very similar to Lee's own - a dress, or perhaps a robe with winglike flaps connecting the arms to the torso. They took in a Moth, the woman explains, but the poor thing did not survive for too long. It had been mistreated, and terribly hungry, and they had not the right herbs to keep it alive. It spoke of disaster in the south - would you know more? Perhaps, you say as you examine the moth-robe. But first, how is she? Doing fine?

Oh, her? Perfectly fine, she says, tapping the side of her head, one of the growths pulsing slightly. Getting a little heavy, mind you, but she's in good spirits, and so are her fellows - the clan has weathered the storm admirably well, all things considered. What a strange phenomenon that was. The clan, you say. Yes, she replies. There is a moment of silence as you wait for her to go on, making an appropriate hand motion, and she breaks the silence around the campfire as she laughs at what seems to be a very amusing remark.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

Wear the dress thing, assuming it fits for my large frame, and get rid of the old skirt thingy. It has served me long and well enough.

"Apparently stoatmen took over the... the banzerwarld or something, I forgot the name of the country." Leif whipers quietly. "Things have not been going well for humans in there. So minders of Anglefork Castle decided summon demons to help, failed, and instead got attention of something far worse. That recent event was kind of side effect of that. Yeah, Lee was captured by stoats as well. I managed to free her so now we are on our way to north to meet Great Moth or whatever their boss was called. Talking about clans, one of my gods said now would be good time for the clans take over. It was in context of Moths and Storks, so if your clan is one of those type of clans, I suppose it includes your people too."

Explaining stuff, greatly downplaying my part in recent events and delivering the prophecy Hœnir told me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: October 26, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »

Well, I'd love to stay and chat but hey, look at the time.
Toss off a truly blinding REVELATION at Daniels to distract him, grab Nately, run for it.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:53 pm »

((Whoops, meant to wait for Tophat to post before I did since I provided the ultimatum.))

Bar their escape with my murder-thought, and don't be shy about removing a few peripheral parts.

SILENCE the revelation if I can react in time - this might seem like I'm acting a tad bit meta, I admit - I'm just using it as a catchall conditional for if words are fired off at me in any situation at the moment.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:33:53 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »

Okay, so... moving is bad, staying still is bad, magic is bad... maybe some explosions will shake things up? I try to lob the cysts away from myself a decent distance, but I'm not sure if that matters at this point. I'm not sure if anything matters here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: October 26, 2016, 10:06:03 pm »

These people are being silly.  Best give them a bit of distance while things happen.  Enjoy this show since I missed the last.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: October 28, 2016, 12:40:18 pm »

Wear the dress thing, assuming it fits for my large frame, and get rid of the old skirt thingy. It has served me long and well enough.

"Apparently stoatmen took over the... the banzerwarld or something, I forgot the name of the country." Leif whipers quietly. "Things have not been going well for humans in there. So minders of Anglefork Castle decided summon demons to help, failed, and instead got attention of something far worse. That recent event was kind of side effect of that. Yeah, Lee was captured by stoats as well. I managed to free her so now we are on our way to north to meet Great Moth or whatever their boss was called. Talking about clans, one of my gods said now would be good time for the clans take over. It was in context of Moths and Storks, so if your clan is one of those type of clans, I suppose it includes your people too."

Explaining stuff, greatly downplaying my part in recent events and delivering the prophecy Hœnir told me.

You put on the moth-dress, and it fits with a pleasing dry snugness, you think as you cast away your now-useless skirt, figuring the extra warmth and camouflage is likely to come in more handy than the ability to show off your immaculately stout viking physique. Speaking of, the lady does regard you rather admiringly as you put the robe on, a question momentarily on her mind, but one she doesn't sign to you in any obvious fashion.

Fascinating, she says as you explain more to her. The Moths have a very fine story gift indeed to present in the meet if what you say is accurate. Though she does wonder who you might be in that case - you seem to be very heavily implying some sort of otherness. But you do not appear to be from El, or a dead man, and neither are you from the kingdom of the strange. And you speak of gods, and speak with gods - are you some form of exotic pilgrim, then? Not to pry, mind you. She's just never seen anyone quite like yourself here in the north.

Well, I'd love to stay and chat but hey, look at the time.
Toss off a truly blinding REVELATION at Daniels to distract him, grab Nately, run for it.

You're not quite sure who says it first, it's a little hazy, but the Words come out, and they come out in a most prodigious fashion.

SILENCE REVELATION

[Words: 3+4]

The Words meet and explode into a wave of spreading silence, enveloping your mind like thick, damp sheet of lead, and all of a sudden everything becomes heavy and strangely clear, far too real for your liking, and you feel your own heartbeat start to boom in your ears, and quicken persistently in a suddenly extremely uncomfortable feedback loop.

[The Sound of Silence: 5]

Seeing Mr. Daniels twist and turn in your direction as death stalks the skies, you act quickly and decisively, seizing Nately by the shoulders and tucking him under your arm - he offers but a shell-shocked look in response as you tuck him under the arm, callow and very clearly starved as he is you find him remarkably easy to carry, and with him in hand you start to make your escape.

[Circle of Death: 5 vs. 1]

Luckily for you, Mr. Daniels seems less in command of his faculties than you are, and his murder-thought flails noiselessly around as you walk the middle ground between running the fuck away and a grand mal seizure - your pursuer gestures like a murderous naked rag doll as he tries to bar your path, looking like he's conducting for an imaginary, yet remarkably unruly horn section, with all the results that you'd expect.

You run, and keep running as he fails to follow - the silence continues on much further than you would expect. Is it spreading.

((Whoops, meant to wait for Tophat to post before I did since I provided the ultimatum.))

Bar their escape with my murder-thought, and don't be shy about removing a few peripheral parts.

SILENCE the revelation if I can react in time - this might seem like I'm acting a tad bit meta, I admit - I'm just using it as a catchall conditional for if words are fired off at me in any situation at the moment.

You try to preemptively catch Mr. Wilde in the Word he is about to speak, or do you speak yours after him? It's hard to tell now as it pours out of you, menacing reality itself with its power. Does the question even make sense?

SILENCE REVELATION

[Words: 3+4]

The Words! The Words! They blend together and blossom outward into a silence as heavy as the world itself, eating sound and stifling thought as they wash over you.

[The Sound of Silence: 4]

You bend and twist uncomfortably, seeking a place to hear, you shiver and shake, but the feeling doesn't quite leave you, this animal feeling of being in a place you should not be - you control your twisting and look upon Mr. Wilde, who has begun to make a run for it. You must stop him - you will stop him. You let loose the murder-thought, flopping your arm grotesquely to all the more viciously aim its soundless path through the air.

[Circle of Death: 1 vs. 5]

It spins and circles, but it, much like your own thoughts, is hard to place when it is so far outside its head. You do not sense its presence in any way but the most abstract, and it solidly misses anything of value or importance as Mr. Wilde dodges and weaves like a victim of tetanus, his limbs somehow far more responsive than yours as he speeds away, a visibly shaken blacksmith under his arm, and they run as you try to sweep with your thought and pursue, but to no avail as they rapidly outpace you and flee beyond any reasonable distance at which you could harass them with your ill intentions alone.

Okay, so... moving is bad, staying still is bad, magic is bad... maybe some explosions will shake things up? I try to lob the cysts away from myself a decent distance, but I'm not sure if that matters at this point. I'm not sure if anything matters here.

[Explosive Ascent: 6]

You wonder. A cyst forms, and releases energy. Standing at the bottom, you feel yourself shake, and the explosion go through you.

Is there a problem you can't solve by leaping from an explosion, you wonder as you slide upward on the flat plane of nothing you find yourself squeezed into, having shed your third dimension somewhere along the way. You feel yourself slow down, and let loose another cyst for good measure - you continue to fly upward and onward, ever higher. Curious and surprisingly free of pain, you keep it up, having no real sense of where you might be or what this might mean, but treasuring the rush of an explosion rubbing its energy off on you and taking you higher.

By the time you consider that you've maybe had enough of that explosion juice, you notice yourself extremely high up. You look at your hands. They appear to be glowing. And beneath you there is a great sea of nothingness, but in it you see a few things - patches of deep dark, patches of pure blackness, patches of blinding light, and patches of strange color - a thousand points of light and dark, none of them terribly easy to discern under these conditions. Beneath you could be anywhere, and you've got a long way down.

These people are being silly.  Best give them a bit of distance while things happen.  Enjoy this show since I missed the last.

You let the boys have their staring contest, but then it suddenly turns into a shouting match, simultaneously both terse and monosyllabic, but strangely powerful all the same.

SILENCE REVELATION

You see Mr. Wilde spasm, Mr. Daniels bend, and both the good doctor and the fine blacksmith buckle on the spot as everything goes oddly quiet, and a muted waterfall of colorless relaxation goes over your mind. It feels a lot like work, you find.

[The Sound of Silence: 5]

You look on in anticipation at what could possibly happen next, remaining meditatively still as your insurance salesman instincts take over and you get that tingling feeling you get when the probability curve comes up your way - which, you being an insurance salesman, it does more often than not, it's really the main perk of the job. Kind of like running a casino, except people are betting that they'll die and actually want to lose.

But putting aside this slight lyrical waxing, Mr. Wilde seems to have suddenly realized he needs to return some videotapes with his young friend, to which Mr. Daniels is responding with a friendly, if rather exaggerated wave, though you're not at all sure what's happening to his face at the moment.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 161