Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161]

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 243427 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: It Is Written
« Reply #2400 on: November 18, 2017, 05:17:08 am »

((Would’ve posted yesterday but was unexpectedly dragged to an event.))

Dan shrugs. ”Frankly, I’m shit as discussing non-cataclysmic weather. Lemme try a quick nap, see if that does the trick.”

Power nap!

Don't blame a girl for trying to help, Peaks shrugs with slight exasperation at having relatively little to do but watch you do your things without any kind of amusing surgical or chemical intervention.

[Pull Yourself Together: 1]

You don't really notice yourself falling asleep, as is quite normal. You definitely notice when you wake up, however, because your eye is immediately drawn to where your arm used to be where you cut it off. Something has definitely grown back, you immediately discover - it most reminds you of a lotus flower, radially symmetrical, interleaved layers of flesh indecisively having opened up around a core of marrow-engorged bone, immaculately grotesque on the fibrous, ovoid stalk of upright scar tissue that seems to have grown from your stump seamlessly.

Peaks, sat down a little ways off, seems to be having the time of her life watching this. Noticing you waking up, she immediately speaks - you've missed a hell of a lot in the past hour, that's for sure. She's never seen something resent being observed as much as your regrowing arm. You think the flowery growth might be some kind of well-intentioned camouflage? It's frankly amazing to watch it go, truth be told. It looks to have just finished forming the pseudoanthers, in fact!

Honestly, Peaks says, you simply have to let her put you under. Seriously under. She'd like to really dig into what you've got in that weird substrate of yours. Thus far it's been full of surprises! Holy shit, what wouldn't she do for a proper alchemy lab to study you in...

Thomas had by this point lost the ability to perceive talking to rats as strange.  "Right then, uh, yes.  Let's keep looking."

Help the rat find his thing.

[Show You How To Turn It Up A Notch: 5]

The rats argue between each other a considerable amount on your shoulder, their tails snapping against your back impatiently as they try and decide what to do - the most excitable of the rats quiets down first, beginning to nod quickly as the pensive rat rears up on your shoulder, looking into the distance as it speaks aloud.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 3]

You feel as though you split into many selves, fanning out every which way simultaneously, the rats multiplying beyond reason and scampering all around as you spread out to fill the unfathomable space of this iterative tower complex. You slide along walkways and flit on powerful currents along the central columns between the towers. Even so you feel you are seeing but a small subsection of this massive place - it dwarfs the city above by whole orders of magnitude, aided more than a little by it harnessing all three dimensions of space and possibly some other ones on top to work its wonders.

In your manifold wanderings the thousands upon thousands of rats sniff around each fresh-birthed stone and consult with each other on arcane details. Every now and then one of them bids you to grab a stone floating by and test its weight and texture, and each time a version of you is surprised by just how hot they are to the touch.

The rats seem to come to an agreement - you're too deep in to go back and the place is too damn large to find a way out of here, at least not without damaging it unreasonably. It wouldn't do to damage any of this infrastructure, no. You need to find a key - no! You need to fashion a key, make one out of stone, something to carry you out of here!

The argument continues as your alternate selves all begin to merge somewhere very far into the overgrown tower complex. Eventually you are but one, and the rats but three - still no agreement between them, however. The apocalypse rat seems to feel like a sail and a hook is in order, the inevitable one insists you need some kind of canoe and paddle, while the alcoholic rat privately voices the suspicion that the two others are clearly stupid - if you're gonna ride out of here in style, why not just make a surfboard?

"Sure."

Sure.

In the blink of an eye you and Dan are on the top deck, a sharp wind rising from your passing as Dan leads the way and leaps easily to the shore of the river. Adventuring in his experience is best done in a vaguely lateral fashion. Sweeping an unfolding claw straight through a tree trunk, your new friend straightens to his full 12 foot height, looking like a solid glistening shadow in the midday sun. The cut tree begins to fall, and presumably will continue to do so for about the next subjective hour at least.

[Blood and Glory: 1]

You jog after Dan, sending waves of unimaginable terror to every sense of every animal within at least a mile of your position. Underbrush is left smoking and strewn everywhere in your wake despite you taking reasonable care not to touch it in any way (wouldn't want to mess up your robe, would you?). You manage to disrupt a creek by hopping over it, upend a bear while stepping around it and finally come to something Dan finds interesting enough to bother with.

It looks like a tree at first, but someone with your expert eye and familiarity with kooky adaptations can easily tell that this is the result of some serious evolution or incredibly silly magic. In fact it looks to be something a lot more like a very knobbly house-sized spider, standing up on a few legs held together while the others, covered in what look to be to stinging hairs what a claymore is to a thumb tack, menace from above while pretending quite nicely to be leaves.

It's such a bizarre sight to witness that you don't notice you've been moving faster as you approach, exceeding a subjective 30 mph as it begins to dawn on you to try and stop. It also begins to dawn that perhaps the pick-me-up juice might be wearing off, and also that one Sir Isaac Newton may be feeling a mite frisky at the present time judging from your acceleration.

It doesn't dawn on you for long, mind you, maturing into a more retrospective and possibly fatalistic realization as you tumble in a last ditch attempt to dodge and impact the treespider's trunk.

[Careless Speeding: 1]

The collision is not as relativistic as it perhaps could have been, and though you're not in a position to bend your knees presently the treespider seems to have enough experience with quickly moving objects to pick up the slack, the trunk very readily folding under the ballistic collision to avoid losing several legs. But even with this amazing display of reflexes from something that clearly shouldn't be able to move so quickly it still feels like you've hit a row of sandbags bodily at 90 miles per hour.

[Land On Your Feet: 4]

Of course, that's when the spider, having folded its trunk, begins to fall on top of you. Dan, seemingly not having gotten the memo about the juice wearing off, smashes into it with perhaps a second's delay - the spider flies back and off where you currently lay, the world still happening to you about half as quickly as it by all rights ought to.

You blink and notice Dan next to you, starting to buzz like a hundred hornets trapped in a megaphone before noticing that you appear to be at least halfway back to slow-time. Switching gears, he speaks in a recognizably measured manner instead - aha. The juice appears to have worn off. Do you need assistance? You appear to be made of stern material. He can do the spider on his own if you have had enough.

The spider, you notice, is still quite startled, having begun a retreat to get a sense of what the hell just hit it and took one of its upper limbs off - the bladed leg lays not far from where Dan hit the creature, neatly severed and seemingly placed on the ground as opposed to having been permitted to fall.

"A hideout? Not really, I'm afraid; I'm just visiting. We could skip town, I guess, if you two don't have any suggestions, but I have a few things to take care of first."

Help Ember get those webs off. Somehow. Time to finally pick up the adhesive for my tape project.

[Let Me Help You With That: 4]

You manicure Ember's wig as the three of you walk and begin to extricate the webs from her clothing - luckily her clothing is both extremely old and rather dry, letting you go for the simple solution of just pulling web-covered ribbons from it, which gets the job done and also seems to get you what to any reasonable observer would indeed resemble some kind of adhesive proto-tape. You examine it and wonder if this is good enough for that wizzard person. Ember meanwhile wonders if you intend to compensate her for ruining her dress while holding onto the disintegrating ensemble with no small measure of grace.

But that's nothing compared to Cindy, who is peering all around extremely warily, watching out for every shambling shadow in the alleyways as she makes ready to dart off at a moment's notice. Too quiet out here, that's what she says, too quiet and too suspicious - 'tis no place for a well-moneyed girl to walk around in, even with friends and such.

I drink more, and entertain the stoats with the tale of how I slew the great night gaunt, elaborating just a little so it sounds like I intentionally set out to hunt it instead of blindly stumbling into danger.

[Drink Hail: 5+1, 5]

As you get increasingly drunk (as does the doctor) you begin to tell a story of one of your previous adventures - the night of the gaunts! And what a night it was, silver bones and terrible teeth, a black mass of the creatures of the night that you dove right into the middle of, armed with little but magic words of terrible power. The doctor, though not present for that particular event, nevertheless corroborates what you've said on the magic words front, mentioning that even speaking them aloud can bring about cataclysmic results if improperly applied! Like a Speaker, one of the at this point incredibly drunk stoatmen mentions before everyone - literally everyone else but you, the doctor and Oggie - gives him a sharp look to quiet him down before urging you to go on.

You fail to mention that you tend to do most of your incredibly impressive work by complete accident until recently, mind you, because that's hardly what heroic stories are made of. The doctor seems to recognize this as well, and the two of you make for a splendid night's entertainment as the Firs Aplenty only continues to gather more patrons until the entire place is just a packed, quivering mass of rapt ears and open mouths, marveling at the things you've seen and done. After you're done with the gaunt story, you turn to the curious case of the world beyond the reflection on the pond, and how you learned to breathe water because there is no air in the other world, and how you once dispatched the animated remains of one of the ancient kings of the Imaginary period, a story that the doctor in particular enriches with a great deal of historical context that you have a bit too many pints in you by that point to properly appreciate. She's a little hard to stop once she gets going, in fact.

Oggie is perhaps a little less enthusiastic about the celebration, but even she begins to cave after a well-meaning gang of evil-eyed stoatfolk pass her an interesting-smelling dreamstick, which she neglects to give back as it becomes her valued companion on a much-needed night of relaxation and mellowing. She works on remembering how to laugh in particular, testing out various combinations of unsettling noises until she manages to get it more or less down.

The proprietor catches you at one point, whispering that if you're welcome to stay for however long you like - he'll clear out a regular for you without any trouble, and naturally you can drink for free. You can almost see the dollar signs spinning in his eyes as he dreams of the exclusive patronage of an honest-to-goodness Hero of the Republic in his humble establishment.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »

Daniels looks at whatever his arm has become and shakes his head in bewilderment. "Know what? With this happening as a thing and considering my current bitch of a semi-unsatisfactory situation, I may just take you up on that offer. I'm sure there's a way to consciously regrow my arm, but right now my curiosity's piqued. What do you want to try?"

Yeah, more experiments - why not?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:08:36 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:31 pm »

Thomas figured he must have bumped his head when he fell.  Better not do that.

"So... a key?  Help me out with that?"

Grab a couple well-shaped rocks and bang one into the other to make a key?  Hopefully get pointers from rats.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 27, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »

"Let's keep moving, then."
Hopefully one of the girls has a destination in mind.
Keep an eye out for any potential trouble.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161]