Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 244097 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Culture Shock
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 11:45:54 am »

"Well, most of a stick will have to do."

I climb out and look for some clothes.

You climb out of the hole into the courtyard of Anglefork Castle, and waste no time conversing with the common folk. Instead you go and look for a place that could provide you with some clothing - the keep seems the obvious direction, so you head toward its large front door, which is fortunately entirely open. The door guards, a respectable, middle-aged pair of red-nosed women you'd probably have trouble telling apart, give you a puzzled look, but do not try to stop you from entering. After all, you are clearly unarmed and probably mean no particular harm.

The keep's interior is pleasantly spacious, but carries in it an overall air of utter austerity. Dirty wooden floors, dark stone walls, only the bare minimum of daylight able to make its way in through the ridiculously tiny windows. All the torch brackets and candelabras appear to be empty, and in fact you can spot a few areas where torch brackets are conspicuously missing by virtue of being torn from the walls. And if anything, it actually feels colder in here than outside.

You head up the central set of stairs and take a left down a particular corridor, barely able to see anything as you get further from the exterior walls, and you only manage to orient yourself by a light shining from a room at the end of the western wing. You step carefully on the creaking floorboards and peek into the lit doorframe.

The room is a very nice one, or at least so you would suppose from the way that the nicer bits of bedroom furniture appear to have been pushed about to make room for a clearly appropriated table from a far cheaper origin. Upon it are two goblets and a green, upturned bottle of what you assume to be wine. Around it sit two people - an elderly, affable-looking man wearing a formidable set of whiskers and a set of noble clothes, while opposite him sits a teenaged, fair-haired girl, barefoot and wearing a long white nightdress. Both are dull-eyed and clearly very drunk - the man in particular seems to be half-asleep and about to slip right to the ground, and the girl is staring out into emptiness wistfully.

As you consider leaving politely, the girl turns her head your way. "Need something?" she asks thickly, slurring her words. "The Crown provides, as you can see," she looks down at the bottle, smiling weakly.

"Okay so first things first, what's with the bricks? They did some weird stuff I'm not quite sure I fully comprehended."

As Mr. Erikson gives up you resume your questioning.

"Bricks?" the man asks, puzzled. You show him your inscribed brick, presuming there's a fancy word for it or something.

"That's one of the things them minders keep in the chamber?" he asks after a moment's examination. You nod. "In a big pile?" he asks, and you nod again. The shrouded man strains his think pan for a moment.

"Nope," he says after a few seconds' thought. "Can't say I know anything about these. Anything true, anyway."

Give up on clothing and ascend through the hatch.

You head over to the center of the room, having accepted perpetual nudity, and jump for the chain. You don't manage to reach it, so you jump again, and find you are very far off the mark still. Stepping over to the pile of bricks, you do a jump off that, and your hand grasps the chain tantalizingly before it slips out of your grasp, sending you tumbling along the room into a particularly moldy set of pots and jugs that shatter at your mere touch, filling your back with a wide assortment of clay shards and unspeakable ancient filth. As you sit there miserably, you emit one last great sigh as Mr. Johnson makes a running jump off the bricks and grabs hold of the chain much more securely than you do.

As the chubby fellow flails and pants his way up the chain, his sweat dripping down even after his naked body disappears from sight, you start to wonder how exactly you're going to die down here. Thirst, you bet. It's always thirst in these situations.

"Effing terrorists... You! Guide me to the local bathing facility and prepare me some clothes!"

Make demands again, pointing random person who's not the person I made demands first time. Make him/her guide me to the baths. If he/she is not willing, then give her/him few encouraging slaps. Hopefully I can get to bathing this time.

You wander up to a woman carrying a bucket of water, her hateful expression indicating that she's probably one of the serving folk, and demand that she guide you to the nearest baths. She looks up at you, stopping in her tracks, looking at you incredulously for a second.

"Get your own bloody clothes, you filthy idjit," she replies, and you decide you cannot let this slide. You prepare your hand and give her an elegant slap to the face. She bares her teeth and pours her icy cold bucket of fresh well water all over you. You shriek like a little girl and reflexively punch her in the gut, which she takes as a sign of escalating hostilities, stepping closer without delay and giving you a very hard knee to the left kidney. You curl up and tackle her against a wall, knocking the air out of her, and she brings an elbow down on your spine, causing you to fall on your knees in pain. You start to bite her in the hip very sharply as she starts punching you in the head rapidly, and this goes on for a good ten seconds until you feel something poking into your back. You pause in your determined biting and turn around to look what that's about.

Behind you are three guards - two solid women that you think must have rushed over from the keep's door, and a tall, thin, elderly guard who seems to have emerged from one of the buildings. One of the door guards is currently pressing a very sharp-looking spear into your back.

"Fighting in the castle is strictly prohibited," says the tall, thin man in a very dull, even voice.

"This dirty idjit started it, slapped me right across the gob. Thinks he's some lord, he does!" the woman says indignantly, half-punching, half-kicking you off herself in short order as you are distracted. The guardswoman pokes you over to the wall.

"I saw it, yes," the woman menacing your back with the spear nods.

"Mm-hm," the tall guard nods, and you can almost hear him making a mental note. The water on you evaporates steadily, giving you an incredible chill. You also feel a mite dizzy from all the blows to the head you just received. "Has the offender anything to say for himself?"

Exit the tunnel and request directions to the nearest weapon shop.

You decide to brave the chain, and after Mr. Calverly makes a thorough fool of himself you make a very difficult running jump off the pile of bricks and barely grab on to the chain. And you must say, climbing up a chain does look a lot easier in a game. You grunt and pull and flail and occasionally scream as you push your underutilized body to the limit, sweating a day's worth of water as you climb upward, and eventually... eventually you make it out, flopping nakedly on the dirt as you pant with exhaustion. Mr. Codeburn and a nearby shrouded man look at you in slight confusion, but you don't let that get you down. Today you've shown physical prowess unlike any you've ever displayed in life, and now it is time for some 30, 60 or perhaps 180 minutes of rest as you catch your breath and try not to vomit.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

"Okay, so let's backtrack a bit. Demons? Minders? What? Why?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »

Snicker and pull the chain up behind me. Ask someone for directions to a blacksmith.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »

Pfft. That cold is nothing for a man who hacks holes in frozen lakes and swims in the afromentioned hole in middle of winter.

"By Odin's grey beard, all I want is a bath! It offends me greatly that you deny me fullfillment of this simple desire! I have pieces of someone's brain touching my privates and I want to clean it very soon!"

I will find the bathing facility and bathe in it. Anyone stopping me from doing that will have to face fury of neo-viking whose cleanliness is being denied.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 03:34:39 pm »

Climb!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:10 am »

Dear god yes, I need something to help me deal with all this shit. "Don't mind if I do," I say, and I join the couple drinking.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 10:29:41 am »

HUZZAH! From the Depths of the Shadows i leap! Slapping the bottle from Honor's Hand, i proceed to Chug it. I then look for more bottles

(In Reality i was captured in a smaller  sub-cell, but upon smelling booze managed to tear the bars out with my bare hands in desperation.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:32:47 am by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 10:41:23 am »

"Okay, so let's backtrack a bit. Demons? Minders? What? Why?"

The man sticks a finger in his beard, scratching his chin weakly within in the brambly depths of hair as he considers how to reply.

"Demons, yeah, that's you," he says. "And the minders - they think things and they happen. Dunno how, but it works. They run the place, doing minder things. Couldn't tell you what those'd be, but they work. Usually. Nominally."

He steps closer to the pit you climbed out of, looking down intently.

"So yeah, your job is to go out there and kill all the stoats. There's like six hundred of them, and they got spears, swords, axes, bows and catapults and whatnot. It's something of a sticky situation," he shrugs without looking directly at you. "I'm sure you can do it, though. Or at least give us a good show before they come in and kill us all, eh?" he winks at you. "'Sides, you ate our minders and we didn't have a better plan than letting them do whatever."

He pauses for a moment more, trying to think of more compelling reasons for you not to devour his soul on the spot.

"Why, I bet you could even convince the priest to remodel the chapel to your liking if you want. Not like the bloody sun and moon are stepping down to help us any, right?"

Snicker and pull the chain up behind me. Ask someone for directions to a blacksmith.

You feel inordinately pleased with yourself as you pull the chain up, breathing heavily in between ceaseless bouts of snickering, and leave poor Mr. Calverly down there among the gore and the rats. You observe him make a valiant jump or three for it, and are sorely tempted to dangle the chain a little to tempt him to try a couple more times, but instead you go with letting him keep a little of his dignity. Perhaps you'll come back later and crush that, too. Wouldn't that be just delicious?

That done, you turn to the shrouded man and ask him where the blacksmith is. He points toward a particular wooden building on the west side of the courtyard, and you swagger over that-a-way immediately, going in and preparing to spend your money on a shitty wooden sword to get your ATK up a miniscule amount.

Or, rather, you attempt to go in, but the blacksmith's door is locked and bolted. The windows appear to be boarded up from the inside, and a steady stream of smoke is billowing out of its chimney. Putting your ear to the door, you think you hear a rhythmic banging of steel on steel. Seems like the blacksmith's busy in there.

Pfft. That cold is nothing for a man who hacks holes in frozen lakes and swims in the afromentioned hole in middle of winter.

"By Odin's grey beard, all I want is a bath! It offends me greatly that you deny me fullfillment of this simple desire! I have pieces of someone's brain touching my privates and I want to clean it very soon!"

I will find the bathing facility and bathe in it. Anyone stopping me from doing that will have to face fury of neo-viking whose cleanliness is being denied.

You start to rant wildly as the three guards watch and listen. You don't think they're on-board with the proposition. As you are about three-quarters through, one of the guardswomen stabs you in the side with the spear with a slight look of disgust on her face. The others look at her in slight shock, and she seems confused for a moment before she looks down at the spear and your extremely painful stab wound.

"Oh!" she says, looking at you apologetically. "Wrong end," she says, and the elderly guard chuckles affably, the other guardswoman merely shaking her head as she frowns.

They then proceed to use the blunt ends of their spears to bludgeon you into a much more responsive state, and haul you off to the dungeon while you alternate between odd invocations of pagan gods and inarticulate sounds of pain. Finally you are tossed into a small stone cell, where you remain on the cold ground for a good moment, bleeding a little less (but only a little) than you would expect from such a beating.

You are only slightly roused when you hear a low sigh emanate from a nearby corner.

Climb!

You run, skip and jump up, and you are absolutely sure you are going to make it this time... when suddenly the chain gets pulled up, slipping from your grasp, netting you another bum-first landing on the cold stone floor and the explicit confirmation that the world must mean you harm. The snickering coming from the top of the vertical tunnel puts a little extra salt on top, and boy, do you appreciate this.

Such a perfect day this is turning out to be, really.

Dear god yes, I need something to help me deal with all this shit. "Don't mind if I do," I say, and I join the couple drinking.

You walk into the room and pull up an exquisite stool from a nearby desk, sitting down on it as you try the bottle. It's nearly empty, and so you get only a single mouthful of whatever's in it. The swill leaves a slightly disgusting feeling in your throat, and for a moment you are glad you seem to have lost the sensation of taste. It'll have to do, though. You set the bottle down and look at the other two sitting opposite you. The girl seems quite impressed.

"There was still some left in there?" she raises an eyebrow in hazy disbelief. "Clearly I'm not doing my duty as a sovereign ruler."

"You've got to be strong - got to be strong in this business," the whiskered man mumbles, his eyes completely closed now.

The girl examines you as carefully as she is able, which is to say not very. But even she seems to realize something's off here.

"Say!" she ventures to guess, looking at you. "Are you naked, or is that just me?" she says, then looks down at her own nightdress, which seems to still be in place. "It's not just me, I think?"

The whiskered man opens his eyes sharply, giving you an odd look for a second. He spreads his arms wide, approving of your choice in clothing. "Heeeyyy!" he draws out smoothly, leaning right out of his chair and onto the floor, where he lies on his back, looking at the ceiling and blinking slowly. "Okay," he says immediately afterwards and smiles up at the blank expanse of stone above him.

"He'll be fine," says the girl, waving off the man's fall nonchalantly as she leans in your direction. "But yeah. This naked thing. Explain."

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:45:11 am by Harry Baldman »

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2015, 10:54:58 am »

Balls. I thought by fulfilling the prophecy i made you were letting me join. CIAO!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 11:04:01 am »

"I'm trying to figure that out myself, your highness. I woke up naked in a tub of rats earlier and I'm not really sure what this place is. Do you have any clothes I can borrow? Or know anyone who does?"

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2015, 11:05:40 am »

"Guys, put the chain back this isn't funny!"

Attempt to fashion a rope from sacks tied together.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:41 am »

Ask where I can find clean clothes and a bath.

Nunzillor

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2015, 12:03:05 pm »

Name: Jackie the Hammer
Job: Circus strongman
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:12:03 pm by Nunzillor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:14 pm »