Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 243387 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1680 on: October 09, 2016, 06:11:08 am »

((What do you mean by "the other side"? Do I see this flame through the fish's mouth?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:19 am »

((Whoah, what happened to my body count? It literally exploded.))

A lot of other people did as well. I figure rather than keep a running count I just did a tally for the earthquake at the end of the day.

And that's not even counting what the Norse manifestations did, mind you.

((What do you mean by "the other side"? Do I see this flame through the fish's mouth?))

The fish is at the end of the chamber, and the sacred pool is right before it, as a clarification, the light of the fish and the eternal flame forming mutual overlapping reflections in the water line.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 09, 2016, 10:16:13 am »

Thomas felt like he was missing part of the show, but he also felt like he'd hardly rested at all recently.  His body didn't really want to get up yet.

Rest.  Watchful waiting.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 09, 2016, 10:42:36 am »

((Ah, so I've reached another exit to the surface world. Weird upside-down physics are hard to visualize.))

"Hm, I could probably see what's over there, being a mermaid and all. But first I think I need rest. The other side can be very dangerous, and before I met you I ran into some trouble. Is there a place in the temple I could lay down for a little while?" If the fisher knows somewhere I can rest, I sleep there. If not, I lay down anywhere free of biting animals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 09, 2016, 12:48:31 pm »

Norse shit? This is because of someone from earth.

SOMEONE FUCKED UP

Lie on the ground and heal, plotting my inevitable and completely unnecessarily elaborate killing of whoever caused this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 09, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 09, 2016, 01:23:52 pm »

Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:00 pm »

"That sounds good. In other news, I think I'll try to head for El; if they've already developed alchemy my knowledge will be of most use there. Any objections? Oh, and if either of you want to drop out now feel free to do so. I'm not exactly safe to be around."
Into the forest it is. Preferably in a Westerly direction.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 11, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »

I stare at the fire for few minutes before adopting "warrior sage meditating by fire" pose and going back to my mental world. There I construct Bifröst which will be my point of entrance and exit between the two realms. Check in with Hœnir about that prophecy of his before I go cooking more fine mead in Hymir's cauldron.

"I'm pretty sure it wouldn't gone that way if you hadn't warned me in first place. Damn self-fulfilling prophecies."

You adopt your best "bearded shirtless dude passing out by a fire" pose and head straight into dreamland, this time in style as you ride a rainbow down to the scattered islands of bone-strewn earth in the vast oceans of alcoholic grapefruit. It is on one such island that Hœnir meets you - as was prophesied, it seems!

As he shakes his stick in greeting, you take a moment to offer some constructive criticism about his gift of prophecy. For instance, the way this one seemed to be mostly self-fulfilling. He shrugs in response. All good bits of prophecy are, aren't they? Actually, wait. Hold that thought. He holds up the stick.

[Prophetic Ponderings: 6]

Ha! Aha! Yeah, Hœnir says. Suffice it to say that your future probably includes a lot more in the way of explosions. Especially once you master the three magic words! Find out what makes men into houses, and you'll have the first!

Wait, you say, is this a prophecy or a quest, to which Hœnir asks if there's any real difference between the two. You'd fail either if you're shit enough at this, wouldn't you?

Thomas felt like he was missing part of the show, but he also felt like he'd hardly rested at all recently.  His body didn't really want to get up yet.

Rest.  Watchful waiting.

You've never thought yourself much of a claustrophile, but you have to admit there's a certain inviting quality to being able to feel the limits of the space you're in. Well, except in the direction that leads deeper down. You're not sure how deep that goes, really. Or if anything lives down there.

[Curious Little Creatures: 2]

You're not sure what would be living in here if that were the case, though. The hole feels kind of man-sized. Or, now that you think about it, a little smaller than that. Or a lot smaller. Thinking about the question makes you weirdly uncomfortable for some reason.

[Hear the Soft Padding Feet: 4 vs. 4]

You also think something's approaching from deeper in, mostly by the sniffing noises that are slowly closing in. Oh dear. You hope you haven't disturbed anything.

"Hm, I could probably see what's over there, being a mermaid and all. But first I think I need rest. The other side can be very dangerous, and before I met you I ran into some trouble. Is there a place in the temple I could lay down for a little while?" If the fisher knows somewhere I can rest, I sleep there. If not, I lay down anywhere free of biting animals.

[Gimme Shelter: 5]

Oh, there is, the fisher says. Few things come here in general. But for when they do, it is best to find a place to hide. She ushers you off the steps and past a tall hedge of coral into the darker recesses of the chamber, where along the side the wall grows increasingly porous and organic, and a man-sized hole is found, lined with compacted, yet soft algae. The fisher sinks her arm into it briefly, clearing out an ornery lobster that's taken up residence within as well as pulling out a very much resisting squid, hurling it away as it starts to spray black ink in great spouting rivulets and menaces her briefly with a great many hooks.

In any case, for when safety is required, sleep here - there are several along the wall for when she has guests, and in each she has never heard of anyone finding trouble, provided you check it before your rest. Would you like to try?

Clearly you would, you think as you slip into the recessed little cubbyhole, and find it surprisingly snug and comfortable, the rhythmic waving of the algae lulling you into a surprisingly easy rest, a dreamless sleep coming and going as you close your eyes one moment and open them the rest, barely noticeable apart from the great sense of relief throughout your body and the vague sensation of time passing.

Norse shit? This is because of someone from earth.

SOMEONE FUCKED UP

Lie on the ground and heal, plotting my inevitable and completely unnecessarily elaborate killing of whoever caused this.

You very deliberately sprawl on the ground with a displeasing wet flop, not so much resting as letting your thoughts of horrible vicious revenge upon any and all who inconvenience you age into a slightly more premeditated cold-blooded murder in the making.

[Not A Real Worm, But A Real Knight: 5 vs. 5]

Clashes of steel upon ineffable luminous mist accompany your rest as you stare into the sky, seething quietly.

[And Not A Word Was Spoken: 3+1 vs. 3]

Followed quickly by the unmistakable sound of a pitch-perfect shank to the eye of a dragon. And then seventeen more in similarly sensitive places from the sound of it. You hear a terrible death gurgle as the great beastly boat is presumably brought down in a team effort no doubt worthy of song and all that, and the fizzing noise of reality growing unstable as it falls limp and starts to dissolve onto the ground.

[The Dragonsong: 6]

But before that ceases, you hear a keening noise that, despite your best efforts to ignore it, sets your entire being on edge in a way you didn't think was entirely possible, a restlessness making you look in spite of yourself. The smiling captain of the guard, engaging in his solitary joy of watching things be annihilated. The turnkey, returning to his side. The Worm-knight, backing away cautiously. And the crew of the ship, gathered and singing as the melt and bubble away, safe in their knowledge that they have done as they should, and now know the fate they were promised.

[Listen, And Listen Well: 3]

Can the goddamn noise, you shake your floppy fist at the ship as you give it one last almost-voluntary stab with the murder-thought, cutting off a few of the voices as you separate their heads from their bodies, whereupon they explode into elaborate tableaus of people being flayed alive and lashed to trees. Sheesh, some people are trying to sleep here!

As you start to lie back down, you notice a rather grubby young woman draped in an artfully arranged bedsheet standing over you, glancing at the dying longboat dragon before turning her eyes to you. You exchange mutual dead-eyed stares before she smiles gently. Oh, don't mind her. She's just intrigued by the rather wretched state of your body. How on earth did you survive all that, if you don't mind her asking?

"That sounds good. In other news, I think I'll try to head for El; if they've already developed alchemy my knowledge will be of most use there. Any objections? Oh, and if either of you want to drop out now feel free to do so. I'm not exactly safe to be around."
Into the forest it is. Preferably in a Westerly direction.

Abandon you, Mr. Wilde? Nately shakes his head. You're the only one who can make sense of any of this! He could never forgive himself if he left you to find out all these answers by yourself!

[See You On The Flip Side: 1]

Deirdre looks at Nately, then at you as you begin to head for the river, which you presume you'll need to cross to head westward. As you stop on the shore a little ways away from the town of Anglefork, she looks out west. Yeah, she says, if it's all the same to you she might take you up on that offer, she says as Nately raises an eyebrow. She gets that overpowering feeling that going on a cross-country trip with you is only going to get her into yet more trouble.

So yeah, she shrugs. Guess this is where you part ways. For what it's worth, Mr. Wilde, you're probably the least insane of all these otherworldly guys, and even if you and her didn't really help each other that much in the end, it's been kind of a pleasure to hang around (when it wasn't completely goddamn terrifying). So all the best to you, and she'll try to make her own way. Maybe find herself some lunch first, though, she says, and turns to head toward Anglefork, where you see the rather large host of guards and servants, the former arrayed in fine arms and armor and the latter arrayed in whatever sharp and heavy things they could find, head into the town proper, meeting little in the way of immediate resistance.

Anyway, the river. At this point in the river there is only one crossing, but it does seem to be a bit of a wide one compared to its branches. On the other hand, the waters seem a mite calmer here than upstream, though not by much.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 11, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

"Spite."

C'mon lady, let me rest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:52:01 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 11, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »

Thomas rather quickly decided it is best if he quit intruding on whatever fine upstanding creature lives in this hole.  He burst out as quickly as possible, thinking it time to see what he had missed.

Get out.  See what is generally up.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 11, 2016, 07:46:39 pm »

That was the best rest I've had in a while.

Anyway. Back to exploring. I make my way to the fish/fire area and see if I can stick my head through to the other side. I'm not sure how far through I have to be for gravity shenanigans to happen.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 12, 2016, 04:23:26 am »

"Well no, if it is self-fulfilling variety, I suppose they are same. Now it also starting to sound like a puzzle. Erm, men are houses when... they house something? Like disease perhaps? Or arrows. Or spirits. Or ghosts. Or eldritch horrors from beyond, you know that one? What a cheap bastard..."

Playing puzze games with Hœnir while making a big serving of mead for upcoming party in my world.

((Doesn't wandering in my mindscape mean that my body is resting?))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:25:15 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »

Well, best of luck to you.

Anyway, treacherous river crossing + rope = slightly safer river crossing. I think. Not really sure how to do this, but I'm sure Nately and I can figure something out.
((I'll be off till Monday I'm afraid, sorry about that. Plan is basically to begin the trek to El, examine anything interesting along the way, and probably regret not getting that map off of Deirdre. Just risk it on the river front if the rope stuff falls through.))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 13, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »

"Spite."

C'mon lady, let me rest.

She does let you rest, oohing at your answer. Spite. She has heard of such things, but mostly from very unreliable sources. Wonderful.

The rest of her contemplation, fortunately, is rather quiet as you lay there on the ground, staring up at the sky, the sound of pretty much everyone except your new admirer leaving giving way to mostly silence, most natural creatures still too busy hiding for dear life to bother making noise.

Thomas rather quickly decided it is best if he quit intruding on whatever fine upstanding creature lives in this hole.  He burst out as quickly as possible, thinking it time to see what he had missed.

Get out.  See what is generally up.

[Back Out The Rabbit Hole: 3]

You start to slowly wiggle back out, inching along like a middle-aged caterpillar as you attempt to extricate yourself. You get about halfway out before you realize that your shoulders, while they seem to have fit on the way in, do not seem to be experiencing quite as much luck on the way back out.

[Get Off My Property: 2]

And no sooner than you think this than a miniscule, yet incredibly savage growl emanates from down the dark tunnel as something deeper within appears to disapprove of your choice of hiding place.

That was the best rest I've had in a while.

Anyway. Back to exploring. I make my way to the fish/fire area and see if I can stick my head through to the other side. I'm not sure how far through I have to be for gravity shenanigans to happen.

You swim back over to the pool, looking squarely at the snapping fish for a moment to make sure it doesn't try anything before you put your head into the pool of water, and emerge with little issue on the other side. Rather surprisingly, no change in gravity occurs. This seems to have been a property of the strange beaver dam house rather than the water line. Similarly, gravity still points the right way just as it did underwater.

It's a little weird to look at the chamber on the other side - it seems to benefit little from having an actual flame within it. In fact, it looks considerably darker if anything, the walls hardly visible at all, the ceiling mural almost completely dark, its peeling paints bearing more than a passing resemblance to a humanoid figure of some kind, though much more than that you cannot say, its full form lost to time and tide.

Something feels odd, and you realize it's the way you're still not breathing. You open your mouth and a little water pours out, a small sampling of the much larger quantity sitting in your lungs presently. Somehow the lack of oxygen still fails to catch up with you, though. Perhaps it's best not to question it.

"Well no, if it is self-fulfilling variety, I suppose they are same. Now it also starting to sound like a puzzle. Erm, men are houses when... they house something? Like disease perhaps? Or arrows. Or spirits. Or ghosts. Or eldritch horrors from beyond, you know that one? What a cheap bastard..."

Playing puzze games with Hœnir while making a big serving of mead for upcoming party in my world.

((Doesn't wandering in my mindscape mean that my body is resting?))

Hey now, Hœnir says, no trying to preempt the prophecy. You gotta find this one out there somewhere. Presumably it'll even pay off! The last clue did, right?

Of course, not like what Hœnir thinks stops you from trying anyway, and you spend some time brewing up a nice little lake of mead within Hymir's cauldron making educated guesses as he hangs around and chuckles enigmatically, tapping his stick against the ground every now and then.

[Mead of Heavens: 3]

Though you seemingly get no closer to a proper solution, at least the mead comes along somewhat smoothly. You gotta say, though, mass production doesn't seem to do it too many favors. Hopefully it'll get the rest of your figments drunk enough that they won't mind, though.

Well, best of luck to you.

Anyway, treacherous river crossing + rope = slightly safer river crossing. I think. Not really sure how to do this, but I'm sure Nately and I can figure something out.
((I'll be off till Monday I'm afraid, sorry about that. Plan is basically to begin the trek to El, examine anything interesting along the way, and probably regret not getting that map off of Deirdre. Just risk it on the river front if the rope stuff falls through.))

Ah yes, the river. You do believe there should be a way. And Nately seems to feel the same way, though neither of you have a terribly excellent idea of what that might be. Or do you?

[Brilliant Ideas: 3]

... no, you mostly don't, you have to admit. You guess you'll have to make up the difference with otherworldly durability and persistence, then. You roll up your sleeves and prepare to get down to business.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 161