Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers desperately needed!  (Read 37163 times)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers desperately needed!
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:30:02 pm »

Welcome to Icehold: you can swap your stripey jumpsuit for proper clothes and get yourself a shiv from the fungiwood bins.

Don't mind the goblin skeletons and miasma filled staircase, try not to trip over the yeti bones, and for the love of Armok don't stare at the Eye Stabber. You don't want to get her excited.

Icehold, The Dwarven Prison

In the dwarven civilization known as the Stake of Rings, those who commit the worst of crimes are sent deep into the frozen ice cap to the structure known as Icehold. Carved out of the ice by seven desperate convicts sent into the cold in the spring of 250, Icehold has survived-even thrived-despite the isolation and biting cold.

But between the exterior assaults from undead, goblins, forgotten beasts, and weremammoths and the interior pressure of fifty of the worst dwarven criminals of all time jammed together, how long can Icehold stand? Only time will tell.

I imagine that last sequence with Udil the mayor playing out something like this:

Udil steps outside, squinting in the bright light. For a moment, all is calm. Then, Udil falls to his knees, raising his hands and face dramatically, and proclaims:

"I WAS NAUSEATED BY THE SUN! THERE IS NO HOPE!"

Udil then emits a massive geyser of high-pressure projectile vomit and collapses on his back, flopping around like a dead fish, vomiting all the while.

Next up: Puppies vs. Weremammoth - place your bets now!

Icehold is a 40.24 sucession fort, originally started by Gojira1000 here and moved to a new topic for housekeeping purposes. It is situated in the polar galcier, just south of a necromancer's tower.

Population is supposedly capped at 30 with a max pop of 40 and a 10/50 child ratio, otherwise game is full vanilla.

Generally I would be ecstatic at the presence of another poisonous beast to study, but the creature's ability to bite the heads off of live trolls is likely to prove an obstacle to administering its venom to test subjects in a controlled environment.

Links are for reference only, please reply to this thread, not the old one

Turns:
Gojira1000(Black Pat): In which Icehold is founded.

Taupe(Honeymoon): In which stealth weremammoths become a problem. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)

Neblime: In which population exceeds its recommended value. (Part 2) (Part 3)

Salemuk(Mistem): In which the weremammoths return and spread their curse. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)

Deus Asmoth(Deus):In which undead, vampires, and nobles don't mix. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5)

uber pye(pyer): In which a toddler somehow ends up in charge. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5)

QuQuasar(Quasar): In which science is performed. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5) (Part 6) (Part 7) (Part 8 ) (Part 9) (Part 10) (Part 11) (Part 12) (Part 13) (Part 14) (Part 15) (Part 16)

DDDragoni(Urkad): In which goblins meet legitimate buisnessdwarves. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)

De(DeMarco): Writeups in progress. (Part 2) (Part 3) (A bit of history.)

Sanctume: In which mental health becomes a priority. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5) (Part 6) (Part 7) (Part 8 )

Ethan741: In which vampires and vomit run rampant. (Part 2) (Part 3)

Deus Asmoth: In which there is a giant spider party. (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5)

MoonyTheHuman: In progress!

Upcoming

Uber Pye

Imic
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:13:45 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Now under new managment
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »

Prisoner Record 1 (Aka Dorfed people)

“Black” Pat Covenpost               Date of Incarceration: Spring of 250         Crime: Murder, Assault

“Honeymoon” Ashenchannel       Date of Incarceration: Autumn of 250        Crime: Kidnapping, Extorion, Arson, Theft

Neblime Fishportal               Date of Incarceration: Summer of 251        Crime: Poaching

“Lord” Lubbie Hammertwigs       Date of Incarceration: Summer of 251        Crime: Volunteer

Zaneg Trumpetwhispered       Date of Incarceration: Summer of 251        Crime: Tresspassing, Conspiracy to commit Murder

Nidilap Floordrink                       Date of Incarceration: Summer of 251        Crime: Trespassing, Attempted Murder

“Deus” Tangletowns               Date of Incarceration: Spring of 252        Crime: Murder

Urkad Gleamcloister               Date of Incarceration: Spring of 252        Crime: Murder, Vandalism, Blackmail (All unproven), Public Drunkenness

Shofet Tradeday                       Date of Incarceration: Spring of 252        Crime: Murder, Cannibalism

Quasar Honoredglaze               Date of Incarceration: Summer of 252        Crime: Kidnapping

DeMarco Sealwashed               Date of Incarceration: Summer of 252        Crime: Smuggling, Possession of dangerous animals

Mistem Mistymanor               Date of Incarceration: Summer of 252        Crime: Cult Membership, Conspiracy to commit Treason

Pyer Granitefutue                       Date of Incarceration Birth: 16/Opal/252   Crime: n/a

Sanctume Hallnights                 Date of Incarcerantion: Winter of 252      Crime: Desertion, Filicide

Zuggles [damaged]               Date of Incarceration: [damaged]               Crime: Kleptomania

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:15:28 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »

Quotable Icehold

Wonderful! Welcome to Icehold: you can swap your stripey jumpsuit for proper clothes and get yourself a shiv from the fungiwood bins.

Don't mind the goblin skeletons and miasma filled staircase, try not to trip over the yeti bones, and for the love of Armok don't stare at the Eye Stabber. You don't want to get her excited.

I've been skimming through the old thread looking for quotes. I found myself essentially copy and pasting entire turns, so this is my attempt to pare it down to quotes that summarized the feeling of each turn. If I missed any players or comments that were particularly juicy (or if this is too damn long or spoilerific) please let me know.

Moonstone 1: Winter arrives - but who the hell can tell, other than the sun never comes up? The cavern section we control is sealed. I think. I worry about the well, but we've already needed it once. We're growing food and have a still up. The metal industry is still non-existent, and we're gonna need armor, but the theft industry is doing OK. The loot we took from the caravan saved us. See? People are good-hearted, you just gotta ask, and ye shall receive, like my ma always said.

My name is Honeymoon, or at least that's what they started calling me a few years ago. For 5 years, I'd been running the greatest honey cartel in the history of dwarfkind. Also most likely the only one. My official profession as a wax-worker was merely a front, meant to disguise my illicit activities. Bee kidnapping, honey extortion, destruction of rival flower fields, and setting fire to disrespectful or cocky bee-keepers' boxes, nothing was out of our league. those who opposed us soon found themselves wearing a pair of wax sleepers. Then we bludgeoned them to death because wax doesn't actually sink.

We are going to eat the fuck out of this yeti.

No sir I didn't know I was hunting (bloodthirsty) cavies on the baron's land, I thought I was protecting the populace from these vile creatures

Oh, you really want to know how the story ends? FUCK YOU! WE'RE BOTH SITTING ON A DONKEY CART DESTINED FOR THE WORST PRISON ON THIS PLANET, HOW DO YOU THINK THE STORY ENDS?

Two facts are established: We have too much Yeti meat. We also have too many children. The obvious solution (mystery stew for all!) isn't feasible since children aren't usually used as cooking ingredients.

They shout and scream to open the gate in case there's another mammoth, but no one responds. They then realize they are the dead.

Werecurses transmit through wounds inflicted by those accursed. This means that, out of the 16 dwarves
now locked outside, 11 might be cursed. Those safe inside face a difficult question: how do we
deal with eleven potential Stosbûb's?

This fortress has become a John Carpenter movie.

... I unpaused the game for nearly two seconds after opening it for the first time when I got this announcement:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's going to be one of those kinds of years, I guess.

"The others... they don't want to dig it out, though. There are legends of terrible curses unleashed by digging up adamantine."
For a moment, I can't speak. I look at her, laughing. "What could we possibly provoke that we haven't already been through? Our civilians have been turning into mad beasts, we're under siege from zombies, and our mayor wanted to drain us of our blood up until the zombies killed her! And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that Black Pat wouldn't do exactly the same thing given the chance!"

Spoiler:  huh? (click to show/hide)

18th of slate

it is a sweater nitting goast!

Uh... y- yes, okay, that was me indeed, though I'd object to the use of the term 'crazy doctor'. I'm quite sane, I assure you. I check every day, using a customised methodology I developed myself.

And I'd also like to assure you, those "kidnapped orphans" you mentioned were never in any danger. All seventeen of them were in the control group, you see. Also, it's hardly kidnapping if they don't have parents, is it?

At the very least, going outside into the freezing cold stark naked and armed with a weapon you have absolutely no proficiency in, nor any bolts for, while the prison is being besieged by goblins, is not the most convincing indication of sanity.

Her eyes are glazed. She's not even really looking where she's going: she steps over the cage traps subconsiously. If you listen closely, you can hear her muttering quietly to herself.

"Stab stab stab eyes stabs eyestab? Stab the eyes. Stab the eeeeyes. Eye stab the eyes in the stabbing. Stabstabstab? Stab stab."

She steps out into the courtyard above, and everyone stops moving. Suddenly being confronted by a naked dwarf woman muttering to herself tends to do that.

Stakud looks up to see dozens of goblins in front of her, staring in shock at her with wide, stabbable eyes. And in the sudden silence, she starts giggling.

“So tell me, what are the two biggest threats to our little community?”

Urkad had gathered several of Icehold’s most influential dwarves for this meeting. Sitting at tables in the back of the dining hall were Honeymoon, Quasar, Deus, Neblime, Black Pat, and Mistem. Ablel was, as always, standing at Urkad’s shoulder.

Honeymoon was the first to speak. “Besides each other? The goblins outside and that giant worm down below.”

I have, however, encountered a problem with the Professor. It appears that the prison’s war dogs have taken a liking to him- all 42 of them. Sometimes he can’t move, there’s so many dogs.

Experiment 11: Preliminary testing of prototype canine-powered dwarven locomotion method

Abstract: It is known to science that a large quantity of solid particles will behave in some ways more reminiscent of a flowing liquid than a collection of solids. Combining this knowledge with the well known dog-attracting properties of cooked meat, and the sheer quantities of both dogs and meat in Icehold, and it should be possible to exploit this behavior to ride, and possibly even steer, a fluid wave of dogs to ones destination.

Testing Apparatus: x42 war dogs (varying sizes), 1x wooden bed, 27x cooked yeti meat.
Hypothesis: I will stand aboard the bed and sail into the dining room aboard a sea of dogs, to the astonished cheering and applause of Icehold's denizens.
Results: Buried in dogs. Had to be rescued. Testing discontinued.

Note to self: Never speak of this again.

Deus led the charge, soon outpacing the others—which soon proved to be a mistake, as the moment he rounded the corner of the moat a goblin lasher struck a decisive blow with her silver whip, knocking Deus unconscious.

The lasher laughed as she struck Deus again and again, her strikes meant to humiliate rather than kill. Only a few seconds later, however, she was shoved aside by a goblin crossbowman, who leveled his crossbow at the unconscious guard captain’s face, ready for a killing shot.

Honeymoon straightened herself up, regaining her composure.

“Well,” she said, addressing the assembled dwarves. “Looks like we need a new Overseer.”
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:39:33 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:48 pm »

Please dwarf me,  macedwarf / recruit, Sanctume, and a turn list

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:56 pm »

Welcome to Icehold, criminal scum. You've been added to the list.

What're you in for?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 12:14:30 am »

Welcome to Icehold, criminal scum. You've been added to the list.

What're you in for?

Filicide and desertion; insanity defense.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:10 am »

See, this?

This is why we have the Place.

It's just like how Hogwarts kept Harry away from his uncle and aunt, except instead of an enormous castle filled with magic and adventure it's a tiny, damp, dark hole with unfurnished rooms barely bigger than cells where the children are permanently imprisoned and are never allowed to leave.

So magical!

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 02:12:42 am »

See, this?

It's just like how Hogwarts kept Harry away from his uncle and aunt, except instead of an enormous castle filled with magic and adventure it's a tiny, damp, dark hole with unfurnished rooms barely bigger than cells where the children are permanently imprisoned and are never allowed to leave.

So magical!

So does this make Onul Dumbledore, or Hagrid?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:51:49 am »

See, this?

So magical!

Everyone was drunk: my law-dwarf, judge-dwarf and jury-dwarf of my peers, but I was left sober--I claim cruel and unusual punishment, so I got Icehold out of a plea deal.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:55 am »

At least you'll be able to give a more accurate name... I swear I'm going to get rereading this thread just as soon as the damned dizziness from my stupid, stupid ears passes.

Yo De, how is it going?  I hope you're feeling better. 

DDDragoni, is there a link to the current save?  I'd like to browse around the current save while I have time this weekend.

nvm, found the last save here:

EDIT: The save
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:08:35 am by Sanctume »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 11:59:33 am »

add me to turn list
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »

At least you'll be able to give a more accurate name... I swear I'm going to get rereading this thread just as soon as the damned dizziness from my stupid, stupid ears passes.

Yo De, how is it going?  I hope you're feeling better. 

DDDragoni, is there a link to the current save?  I'd like to browse around the current save while I have time this weekend.

nvm, found the last save here:

EDIT: The save

Yeah, it's a recurring thing, hopefully I'll be able to get through my turn this weekend.

BTW, there aren't a lot of dwarfs available in Icehold Sanctume so I might not be able to provide a Macedwarf, I have my eye on a suitable candidate. I shall post his stats once I dig in.

Edit: Also thanks again to Quasar for technical help. For some reason whenever I take a save file from vanilla DF and try to put it in my LNP game it turns all the dwarfs into blue creepy manikin things, but creating a new world with LNP and exchanging the raws solves the problem. I hope it doesn't create new problems in the fixing. I've noticed that dwarves in my version of the game don't seem to grieve... but who knows, that might be a good thing and this is Icehold, home of hardened criminals.

Though weirdly, even with new raws it's still doing that thing where it replaces letters with random symbols. Does anyone know why games do that? For instance Onul's name appears as Lever Symbol-nul.

Sanctume, I can give you a male legendary speardwarf who is stumbling around oblivious, a female legendary macedwarf who is on the brink of going crazy, or a legendary female sword dwarf who is doing fine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:44:45 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:00:52 pm »

Though weirdly, even with new raws it's still doing that thing where it replaces letters with random symbols. Does anyone know why games do that? For instance Onul's name appears as Lever Symbol-nul.
That's because that's actually her name!

I'm not 100% certain so don't quote me on this, by I think O-grave, or Ò, represents the closed sound of the letter o. That's the sound of the o in "conscious" or "dog", as opposed to the sound of the o in "coat" or "dough".

So Ònul would be pronounced "On-ull" rather than "Oh-null"

(Unless you mean you're actually seeing levers rather than just an o-grave, in which case I'd suggest turning on TrueTypeFonts in the LNP's Graphics tab)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:03:52 pm by QuQuasar »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:09:11 pm »

That's because that's actually her name!

I'm not 100% certain so don't quote me on this, by I think O-grave, or Ò, represents the closed sound of the letter o. That's the sound of the o in "conscious" or "dog", as opposed to the sound of the o in "coat" or "dough".

So Ònul would be pronounced "On-ull" rather than "Oh-null"

(Unless you mean you're actually seeing levers rather than just an o-grave, in which case I'd suggest turning on TrueTypeFonts in the LNP's Graphics tab)

Yeah, "A" is a figurine for me right now.

Sanctume! I found you someone who isn't crazy depressed!

Edit: Is there a reason we have a ton of farmers but no one is enabled to gather plants? Doesn't that leave stuff rotting?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:10:49 pm by De »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 09:39:52 pm »

sounds good to me :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16