Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers desperately needed!  (Read 37706 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Now under new managment
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »

Meanwhile we can get this place cleaned up, at least a bit. Thob says we desperately need more furniture.

The 'aren't enough dining tables' thought is a bit misleading. It can mean one of two things:

* There are chairs somewhere without tables next to them. Dwarves will eat from the nearest unassigned chair and whine if there's no table next to it.
* There are tables which have two chairs adjacent to them. Dwarves won't share tables, so if dwarf A is using chair 1 and the table, and dwarf B decides to use chair 2, dwarf B will whine about it.

... when I saw the Professor off in the distance underneath a heap of dogs. Motherfucker was spewing forth puke like he was a cherub in the center of a fountain.
Experiment 11b: Use of living canines as makeshift cloak during trips to the surface.
In the absense of cloth or leather, living dogs should be capable of providing both body heat and shade from the sun, to prevent freezing and the activation of cave sickness.
Equipment: 5x dogs, one lashed to each limb and a fifth to cover the head.
Results: Buried in dogs and vomit. Had to be rescued. Testing discontinued.

Note to self: Never speak of this again. Say you were collecting a glove instead.

Spoiler: DeMarco and Quasar are Friends! (click to show/hide)

Heh, I notice the other three there are all Children of Icehold...

Friends, test subjects... it's a fine line.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:14 pm »

If it isn't too much hassle, could you throw up a screenshot of my dwarfs desciption?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 03:26:54 am »

Did Nidilap ever get dorfed the first time? I know there was at least a request, which is why I added him to the dorfed list with some made-up info, but did we ever see anything from the dwarf himself?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 05:07:31 am »

Did Nidilap ever get dorfed the first time? I know there was at least a request, which is why I added him to the dorfed list with some made-up info, but did we ever see anything from the dwarf himself?

Not that I can tell. That's why I picked the miner since like I said, she's been there the whole time so she's got survivability. If you want me to change it to a military dwarf, Nidilap, that leaves Onul's shitty husband Shorast and Olin. And I feel like I should mention that I've been considering kicking Olin out because he's only been in for 6 months and he's already flashing the downward red arrow. Though he did deport himself with some valor during the FB attack, so I'll leave it up to you. I can always go back and Find/Replace.

I thought I had Shofet's stats already screenshotted but now I can't find them. I'll post them soon.

Quasar is friends with all the kids in the fortress! I thought that was creepy until I checked his age, did you know he's only 15 QuQuasar? He's younger than DeMarco.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 05:33:17 am »

Quasar is friends with all the kids in the fortress! I thought that was creepy until I checked his age, did you know he's only 15 QuQuasar? He's younger than DeMarco.
Wait, what?

Surely not. That can't be right! You must be mistaken.

I mean heck, if that was the case, the Professor would have barely been past 12 back when he took overseershiiiiii-

Oh.

Well... um...

... huh.

[scurries off like a cockroach]

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:03 am »

I dont mind playing Olin, I like an underdog.

Could I see his character sheet?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2015, 07:12:47 am »

I added the rest of spring to DeMarco's Report!

I'm sorry it took so long. I had to do some mental gymnastics to get some of the scenes to work. I hope everything's readable. I'm pretty tired and I've been up all night going back and forth between working on this and watching alternate endings for Undertale on Youtube. I was so stuck on the Lubbie and Urkad scenes that I eventually decided to give up and play Undertale, since I bought it when it came out and then never got around to it. But now I'm stuck on the get fucked by a flower over and over stage, so back to DF.

And oh yes, screen shots.

Spoiler: The Mighty Shofet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Erstwhile Nidilap (click to show/hide)

Because I've switched which dorf belongs to Nidilap some of the screenshots are wrong. I've tried to fix them where I can.

Don't panic Quasar, your dwarf still makes sense. I had an idea for a whole spin on his backstory that I was going to share, about him being a child prodigy born to poor working class parents and being supported by Neblime.... but my brain is essentially mush at this point and I've been listening to MeGaLOvania on loop for longer than is good for any mortal. Maybe later. Suffice it to say that I've compromised between the RP and the game by thinking of the Professor as being in his late teens.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:15:18 am by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:53 pm »

Have I mentioned your writing is amazing? Because it's amazing.

I added the rest of spring to DeMarco's Report!
I'm sorry it took so long. I had to do some mental gymnastics to get some of the scenes to work. I hope everything's readable. I'm pretty tired and I've been up all night going back and forth between working on this and watching alternate endings for Undertale on Youtube. I was so stuck on the Lubbie and Urkad scenes that I eventually decided to give up and play Undertale, since I bought it when it came out and then never got around to it. But now I'm stuck on the get fucked by a flower over and over stage, so back to DF.

[snip]

...but my brain is essentially mush at this point and I've been listening to MeGaLOvania on loop for longer than is good for any mortal. Maybe later. Suffice it to say that I've compromised between the RP and the game by thinking of the Professor as being in his late teens.

Heh heh, I don't blame you. Undertale can have that effect on people.

But can I just say that I love everything about this? The attention to detail, the screenshots, the utilization of actual events, the characters, this is wonderful.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2015, 02:44:14 pm »

Indeed. With writing this good, I don't mind the wait in the slightest. Though I can't speak for everyone of course.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2015, 05:48:43 pm »

Indeed. With writing this good, I don't mind the wait in the slightest. Though I can't speak for everyone of course.

The people I worry about upsetting are the ones waiting on turns. Particularly Shofet, since it increasingly looks like I'm going to be passing the save to him right in the middle of the holiday crush. Compounded with that, it's just super fun to take the piss out of his character. It's like "Welcome to Icehold: we have a cannibal."

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 08:32:15 pm »

"Welcome to Icehold: we have a cannibal."
That needs to go in the quote bank. :)

(Edit) Speaking of, another suggestion for the quote bank, from early in icehold's history:

Black Pat sums up Icehold's purpose:
We're here because we're bad. Simple as that.

(Edit)

By the way, there's a design flaw in Icehold I've wanted to comment on for a while, but it may prove spoilery and/or change the course of the game if the overseer decides to fix it.

So I'm avoiding saying anything for now, but I will post this comment simply so that I can say "called it" when terrible and hilarious things happen. :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:27:33 am by QuQuasar »

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 09:35:53 pm »

I was collecting galena in a side tunnel when the FB attacked...miner walled us in with a chunk of cavern wall...we swore which ever us didnt die first could eat the other, if help didnt arrive... he died of thirst... just lucky he never woke up when i got my canteen out..

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:02 am »

That's some great writing.  So Sanctume I saved a depressed macedwarf only for her to throw a tantrum!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 10:46:18 pm »

Black Pat sums up Icehold's purpose:
We're here because we're bad. Simple as that.

(Edit)

By the way, there's a design flaw in Icehold I've wanted to comment on for a while, but it may prove spoilery and/or change the course of the game if the overseer decides to fix it.

So I'm avoiding saying anything for now, but I will post this comment simply so that I can say "called it" when terrible and hilarious things happen. :D

A design flaw, in Icehold? Noooo....  ::)

Out with it Quasar, which is it? The way everything's so spread out nothing ever gets done? The way we can't actually seal off the caverns? The fact that we rely on said caverns for wood? The magma forges that keep letting in fire critters? The trade depot that's open to the sky and any flying enemies that feel like picking up a trinket? The flooded adamantine spire... How did you manage that one by the way? I removed your underwater office... I was going to make you a better one but the idea of actually moving some furniture in Icehold is a fool's dream.

That's some great writing.  So Sanctume I saved a depressed macedwarf only for her to throw a tantrum!

Sadly, as far as I can tell, it was her annoyance at being rescued that set off her murderous tantrum.

I was collecting galena in a side tunnel when the FB attacked...miner walled us in with a chunk of cavern wall...we swore which ever us didnt die first could eat the other, if help didnt arrive... he died of thirst... just lucky he never woke up when i got my canteen out..

So essentially your argument boils down to: "Look, it was just one dude!" What about all those goblins your dwarf has been nibbling on ever sense?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:48:39 pm by De »

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 11:20:50 pm »

Well after you get sent away to some godsforsaken icehole for just trying to survive, why not?

I cant play this week but i should be able to chistmas week. Plant is shutting down for the holidays.

Im going to try an RP my dwarf and his misbegotten title. Got big plans for my dwarf, try and get as many of his life goals complete as I can. He is 94.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16